Rails of Sheffield/Dapol/NRM Announce OO gauge Stroudley A1/A1X

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ian Hargrave said:

And again add to this the excellent B4. You have to ask,were these made in the same factory as the Terrier ?

Hmmm . The next Dapol loco due, next month I think, is the 43xx . Will be interesting to see how it turns out.

• RMweb Gold

Added to which of course is that it’s this Dapol’s regime’s inaugural tender loco in OO  as opposed to tank.It was billed as arriving next month but seems to have disappeared from the expected soon list.No reason for it not to succeed.It’s been well designed so hopefully the factory will make a thorough job of assembly and packing. A positive sign is the delay in releasing it to correct certain issues in livery etc. We live in hope but realistically I don’t expect to see it before the New Year. I hope Dapol prove me wrong.

Edited by Ian Hargrave
For accuracy

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, CUCKOO LINE said:

Dapol Website says expected in shops mid November

Gaugemaster’s list....they are Dapol major distributors....omits them from its latest list,having included it the previous month’s list. Also not mentioned in latest ModelRail ad. I’m not holding my breath. 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Gaugemaster’s list....they are Dapol major distributors....omits them from its latest list,having included it the previous month’s list. Also not mentioned in latest ModelRail ad. I’m not holding my breath. 

Just got an email from Rails , they are expected next week

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Great to be proven wrong ,Rails say next week

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Anglian said:

Is a second run of a Rails LBSC umber liveried Terrier expected or in the pipeline?

Have you thought of asking Rails? I understand they don't bite, and if enough people ask for a repeat of something that has sold well in the first releases then you may actually help make it happen. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Anglian said:

Is a second run of a Rails LBSC umber liveried Terrier expected or in the pipeline?

If you want the current model, Dapol have them available (both ready and fitted). https://www.Dapol.co.uk/shop/oo-gauge/Steam-Locomotives-OOGauge/A1_A1X.

Umber seems to be a Cinderella livery for terriers even though there would have been many more of them, I assume, than the "pretty" liveries that are popular with buyers. I certainly looking forward to receiving mine  to replace my venerable original umber terrier (its been residing in Dapol's factory since May waiting for a decoder to be fitted and to be delivered to Rails)

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, stephennicholson said:

Umber seems to be a Cinderella livery for terriers even though there would have been many more of them, I assume, than the "pretty" liveries that are popular with buyers. 

I think I'm right in saying that all Terriers ran (with names) in IEG - undoubtedly the prettiest of liveries - until they were all repainted umber (losing their names) in the early 20th century. Although possibly you have in mind the odd ones that carried other companies' liveries.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I think I'm right in saying that all Terriers ran (with names) in IEG - undoubtedly the prettiest of liveries - until they were all repainted umber (losing their names) in the early 20th century. Although possibly you have in mind the odd ones that carried other companies' liveries.

Agreed, I had in mind SECR, KESR when I wrote that.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

It is worth bearing in mind that by the time umber became the livery of choice, many Terriers had been sold off to other railways, to contractors, or to scrappers. I think no more than half the original 50 were still on the Brighton's books by then. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

It is worth bearing in mind that by the time umber became the livery of choice, many Terriers had been sold off to other railways, to contractors, or to scrappers. I think no more than half the original 50 were still on the Brighton's books by then. 

Full details here: http://www.lbscr.org/Rolling-Stock/Locomotives/Stroudley/A1.xhtml

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

In over 20 years of Dapol/Hornby, new Hornby and now Dapol/rails terrier production there has only been two in umber. Hopefully the current Rails product has proved popular to warrant a further variant if and when a new batch is done given there is 25 prototypes to choose from.

• RMweb Premium

Whereas there have been models produced of at least three other LBSC classes in umber - generally locomotives that did not carry earlier liveries in their condition as modelled. In the fullness of time there will be the Model Rail E1 to keep the A1 company in pre-umber condition. 

• Agree 1

I've just received my NRM Boxhill

I've got a bend in the running plate on one side, noticeable under the front of the side tank. I'm certain there was a post where someone fixed it on their model but having gone back a few pages, I can't see it now. Can anyone point me in the direction of said instructions? 

I can live with it as no loco has dead straight running plates but it would be nice to reduce it slightly. 

IMG_20201113_155825.jpg.541c01bbef45af1aaa7ca8c32f1c76a0.jpg

• Informative/Useful 1

Sound fitted Southern Terrier arrived today, all bits in tact, nothing bent, just like my DCC ready one. 

Only thing missing is a Function Key menu chart.

Run off video against my Hornby YouChoos sound fitted Terrier, I know which I prefer.

Edited by Yankee
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, Yankee said:

Sound fitted Southern Terrier arrived today, all bits in tact, nothing bent, just like my DCC ready one. 

Only thing missing is a Function Key menu chart.

Run off video against my Hornby YouChoos sound fitted Terrier, I know which I prefer.

Lots of potential variables here, e.g. did you fit the Hornby yourself? which speaker was used? where did you place it? The bass chuff is noticeably weaker in the Hornby which surprised me given the tiny installed speaker in the Dapol / Rails model and its restricted location. 

I've fitted Youchoos sound into very small locos and got far better results than this video so remain sceptical it's a fair comparison.