Rails of Sheffield/Dapol/NRM Announce OO gauge Stroudley A1/A1X

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, BWsTrains said:

Lots of potential variables here, e.g. did you fit the Hornby yourself? which speaker was used? where did you place it? The bass chuff is noticeably weaker in the Hornby which surprised me given the tiny installed speaker in the Dapol / Rails model and its restricted location. 

I've fitted Youchoos sound into very small locos and got far better results than this video so remain sceptical it's a fair comparison.

I have to say that having watched other videos of the Youchoos Terrier I was underwhelmed by the chuff. The sync to the motion isn’t great either, you only seem to get two chuffs a rotation. 

The Rails version does sound good. 

Roy

1 hour ago, Roy Langridge said:

Lots of potential variables here, e.g. did you fit the Hornby yourself? which speaker was used? where did you place it?

The Hornby was my first try at installing sound in any loco and was done as per the install guide on the YouChoos web site using a MX648 and Minnow4 speaker.

Here are the pictures I took at the time, June 2019. I have only just recently procured a programmable Control system (Digitrax), previous to that it was only a Bachmann EzCommand, so will now be on a learning curve for CV adjustments.

IMG_6340.jpeg

IMG_6324.jpeg

1 hour ago, Roy Langridge said:

I have to say that having watched other videos of the Youchoos Terrier I was underwhelmed by the chuff. The sync to the motion isn’t great either, you only seem to get two chuffs a rotation. 

The Rails version does sound good. 

Roy

Agree, now I've looked at the YouChoos Youtube channel for the Terrier.

The original at the Bluebell Railway has hardly what you'd call a deep chuff but would appear Rails have the better offering for Sound. Previously I'd been impressed by the Dapol "O" gauge equivalent.

Chuff is easy, nearly always needs adjustment. The Youchoos guide has clear steps on this

• RMweb Gold

If you have a Digitrax system, I earnestly recommend changing sound CVs on the main line, using Po mode. This is wonderful for attenuating sounds, as you can hear the sound change, and instantly recognise whether it is better or worse! It works just as well for non-sound CVs, of course, but the response isn't as obvious.

People worry about Programming On The Main, convinced every other locomotive on the layout will be forever modified. If you have Po showing on your display, then only the loco number shown will ever be affected. 

Many DCC systems other than Digitrax offer this facility, of course, but I do not know how it is set up. 

• Like 1

I am a non DCC user at the moment having only one early DDC fitted Hornby King Arthur, a DCC sound fitted J36 and the first DCC sound van put by for possible future development.

The Rails Terrier definitely has the bark, the YouChoos one has more of a wheeze. Is it possible to deepen the sound on the YouChoos chip to match the bark ?

All the best

Ray

I haven't got the rails DCC sound terrier, as it unfortunately sold out before I got round to making a purchase, so can't make a comparison to that one myself. However a friend of mine kindly fitted a Locoman Sounds Terrier chip alongside a Sugar Cube speaker in the cab of a Hornby Terrier, which sounds rather good (video from the supplier, not my loco below). I'm also planning to fit this to my Rails one when I get round to it. 

Note: no connection other than being a happy customer. 

Edited by LBSC123
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, LBSC123 said:

However a friend of mine kindly fitted a Locoman Sounds Terrier chip alongside a Sugar Cube speaker in the cab of a Hornby Terrier, which sounds rather good

Exactly the trade off.

The tiny amount of space in the Hornby terrier boiler, even after stripping away the 6 pin socket + it's support leaves very little room for the DCC Chip and Speaker. Then on the other hand the beauty of these models is destroyed by placing both chip / speaker in the cab.

Is there an option to have the speaker in the bunker? Maybe with the terriers sporting the larger bunker anyway.

Recognising this is straying OT, it still puzzles me that the tiny speaker and it's location in the Rails/Dapol OO model can deliver satisfying sound. This latest video with a cab based speaker delivering excellent sound suggests the answer is "CLEARLY NOT" 

• RMweb Premium

My DCC fitted Umber Terrier arrived today from Dapol.  It runs well and there are no visible gaps between the running plate and cab/tanks. However when I hold up a steel rule a curve can be seen towards the front.  I have elected to keep the model as its not noticeable at normal viewing distance and doesnt affect its running.  When discussing, with the helpful staff at Rails, about cancelling my order, they advised that Dapol are awaiting a new shipment that addresses the running plate issue.  Given that Dapol are now not showing any more stock of my version and an underdetermined wait for replacements convinced me a bird in the hand is better!

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I received my latest Rails/Dapol 4S-010-003S Terrier a LB&SC 751 with sound on Friday. Tested it on Saturday and guess what it went bang! I put it on my programming track switch the sound on and it worked set up the whistles they worked and the coal shovelling worked whoopie I thought unfortunately this was short lived. I decided to see if the locomotive moved so set the ECoS controller to forward opened the throttle less than a full turn of the wheels and it stopped with a crackling noise! Sound failed and it would not move, repositioned it on the track and it would not move. Picked it up and there was a smell of burnt electrical components. I thought Oh ****!!!!! So it is on it's way back for a refund . The quality control on these is absolutley terrible. That is three out of four of the terriers have failed. I have not had any other locomotive with this poor quality, I cannot remember a Hornby, Bachmann or anyone elses locomotive I have failing like this.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

8 hours ago, Chuff34006 said:

Hello,

I received my latest Rails/Dapol 4S-010-003S Terrier a LB&SC 751 with sound on Friday. Tested it on Saturday and guess what it went bang! I put it on my programming track switch the sound on and it worked set up the whistles they worked and the coal shovelling worked whoopie I thought unfortunately this was short lived. I decided to see if the locomotive moved so set the ECoS controller to forward opened the throttle less than a full turn of the wheels and it stopped with a crackling noise! Sound failed and it would not move, repositioned it on the track and it would not move. Picked it up and there was a smell of burnt electrical components. I thought Oh ****!!!!! So it is on it's way back for a refund . The quality control on these is absolutley terrible. That is three out of four of the terriers have failed. I have not had any other locomotive with this poor quality, I cannot remember a Hornby, Bachmann or anyone elses locomotive I have failing like this.

As well as Dapol (and DJM) self-igniting circuit boards I have had many a failure from Hornby, Bachmann, Farish, Fleischmann, Minitrix, Liliput, Kato, Atlas and Intermountain over the years- and that isn't the complete list..

If you have had three dodgy ones out of four from the same supplier I suspect you may have had the same problem I had with Farish 4MT Tanks a few years ago when Hattons sent me a wobbly one, then another wobbly one, then a third and finally sent a batch back as all were the same, while those from elsewhere were perfect.

It seems to be your turn to be unlucky.....

Les

Edited by Les1952

To rub it in my SECR Terrier arrived this morning.  I can't give it an extended test as the DCC power is attached to Bregenbach rather than NO PLACE and the workshop floor is full of Bingham MRC's books.  All the 4mm layouts at the club are in bits pending getting moved into the new clubroom (then will remain in bits until Covid restrictions are lifted) so all I've been able to do is give it a go on the test track.

Quiet runner, doesn't (yet) crawl but that will improve when I can run it.  No bendy or loose bits, though the speaker was loose in the packaging having been cut off the circuit board, presumably as mine is a non-sound loco.

1955957457_newTerrier.jpg.ecaf4bd237fd9341c8697bcb9e64dd42.jpg

Just what a County Durham colliery needs.....   Rule 1.

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 5

I received my Rails 4S-010-012S A1X 32650 with sound on November the 19th I set it up a couple of days latter it was set up on the ESU ECoS DCC programming track and everything worked. I even set up some random sounds. It was not that great at running and cleaning the wheels helped a little. It got to the point it would start and stop without needing the “hand of God” to make it move. Yippee I thought one that actually works OK. Unfortunately that has not lasted even a week it now either does not start to move after it has stopped or stops early when it slows down. I di think of replacing the pickups only to find out at present you cannot get spare parts from the usual Dapol spares supplier who has none and does not know if they will get any. I have cleaned the wheel running surfaces and backs of the wheels as well as I can without disassembling it! I have cleaned the track where it stops with a track rubber and a liquid cleaner (track Magic). I then cleaned all the track it made no difference I did think it had something to do with stopping on curves but that was soon proved wrong as it is equally unreliable on straight track. I have run several other locomotives over the same track without any problems of starting stopping running these have been Hornby L&Y 0-4-0 (three of them), Hattons P class 0-6-0 (three of them) and a number of larger locomotives M7s, Schools, WC&BB numerous all with no problems just to prove to myself there is no track problem. I real am at a loss as to why I have had so many problems with the Rails/Dapol A1X Terrier locomotives that’s four out of four that have been faulty! I have asked Rails for a refund for this locomotive as it just does not work as it should do and I am awaiting their reply. I don't want an expensive static display. I just hope the Rails Gas Turbine I have on order will be more reliable!.

• Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, Chuff34006 said:

I received my Rails 4S-010-012S A1X 32650 with sound on November the 19th I set it up a couple of days latter it was set up on the ESU ECoS DCC programming track and everything worked. I even set up some random sounds. It was not that great at running and cleaning the wheels helped a little. It got to the point it would start and stop without needing the “hand of God” to make it move. Yippee I thought one that actually works OK. Unfortunately that has not lasted even a week it now either does not start to move after it has stopped or stops early when it slows down. I di think of replacing the pickups only to find out at present you cannot get spare parts from the usual Dapol spares supplier who has none and does not know if they will get any. I have cleaned the wheel running surfaces and backs of the wheels as well as I can without disassembling it! I have cleaned the track where it stops with a track rubber and a liquid cleaner (track Magic). I then cleaned all the track it made no difference I did think it had something to do with stopping on curves but that was soon proved wrong as it is equally unreliable on straight track. I have run several other locomotives over the same track without any problems of starting stopping running these have been Hornby L&Y 0-4-0 (three of them), Hattons P class 0-6-0 (three of them) and a number of larger locomotives M7s, Schools, WC&BB numerous all with no problems just to prove to myself there is no track problem. I real am at a loss as to why I have had so many problems with the Rails/Dapol A1X Terrier locomotives that’s four out of four that have been faulty! I have asked Rails for a refund for this locomotive as it just does not work as it should do and I am awaiting their reply. I don't want an expensive static display. I just hope the Rails Gas Turbine I have on order will be more reliable!.

The gas turbine is being produced by Heljan. Their locos have the reputation of being good runners.

• Agree 1

I’m afraid this is a common problem with lots of models now and it does not seem to matter who makes them.

The pickups are very thin and easily bent and don’t seem to be very springy. If you move the wheels over to one side I expect you will see they are not touching the backs of the wheels.

You can sometimes adjust them with a thin knife blade or screw driver. The best way is to remove the keeper plate if you can. On the Dapol Terrier I don’t think that’s very easy without damaging the brake rigging.

It is a shame so many models are spoiled but such a simple fault and this applies to Dapol, Hornby, Bachmann and probably everyone else. Obviously this fault is more noticeable on on the smaller locos compared to steam engines with tender pickups and the bogie diesels.