Rails of Sheffield/Dapol/NRM Announce OO gauge Stroudley A1/A1X

MGR Hooper!

21 minutes ago, Mr chapman said:

Is the kesr blue a preserved livery or an old livery? I can find pictures or Bodiam in green and reference to blue. But I'm not sure if this is a preserved blue. 

This one? 

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/35691/Dapol-4s-010-002-oo-gauge-stroudley-terrier-a1-class-bodiam-kesr-blue-0-6-0-tank-locomotive-dcc-ready

Old one. It's an A1 type. Most of the survivors are ones that have been rebuilt with the boiler with a longer smokebox and other alterations. Bodiam got it's one in 1943 according to this. It also lost it's name in 1932 so is before then.

https://colonelstephenssociety.co.uk/locomotive notes topics/colonels terriers.html

Jason

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 23/12/2020 at 04:55, Mr chapman said:

Is the kesr blue a preserved livery or an old livery? I can find pictures or Bodiam in green and reference to blue. But I'm not sure if this is a preserved blue. 

Yes.

Blue was the original Rother Valley, then K&ESR, livery. The green livery, IIRC, dates from the inter-war period.

The model Bodiam is physically in A1 condition. As I recall, the preserved one isn't.

So, the Rails model wears the appropriate livery for its physical Edwardian condition.  I would place the condition represented by the Rails model at from about 1906, IIRC.

The blue livery on preserved loco is not so representative of the loco in K&ESR service because of the subsequent rebuilding of the loco.  

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Blue was the original Rother Valley, then K&ESR, livery. The green livery, IIRC, dates from the inter-war period.

The model Bodiam is physically in A1 condition. As I recall, the preserved one isn't.

According to the OPC book (LP56 "The Kent and East Sussex Railway", Garrett, 1972), the green dates from her rebuilding in 1933, using bits of Rolvenden and one of the Shropshire & Mongomeryshire terriers.

Still an A1 at that point, A1X boiler fitted in 1943 at Ashford.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

My sound fitted 32655 arrived yesterday. This one was bit of a wait but well worth it. No issues in construction, nor running, nor DCC wise. I have been thinking for years about having one terrier in DCC sound format. Only the old terriers were not easy to convert, nor really up to modern standards to merit conversion. The new Rails/Dapol terrier is conceived with DCC sound very much in mind, while also being to modern standards.

(EDIT: BTW, functions 14 and 15 on the sound chip are reversed compare to the supplied guide).

32655 is preserved on the Bluebell, I already had a very old Dapol model of her in her 55 Preserved LBSCR livery guise so I decided a BR guise would be best for the new model.

I just need someone now to do Fenchurch in preserved A1/LBSCR guise to compliment my old BR version!

Terrier1.jpg.ac5d8022c57def7b955cc38c1250bbc9.jpg

This is the only A1X rails terrier I have, (in fact I have 6 all new terriers, 3 from each make, chosen for no other reason than the livery choice, but only two are A1X). The next few photos compare her with Hornbys A1X that has IOW modifications.

I had previously posted a comparison between Bodiam (Rails) and Rolvenden (Hornby) were the differences were mostly detail errors on the Hornby model. In these A1X pictures, most differences are due to actual differences of the real locos.

I did note the smokebox on the Hornby A1X is a tad longer than the Rails A1X. Is it a real world difference or a detail error? I've no idea. In anycase both models can sit well on the layout togethor.

Terrier2.jpg.694e036e0a2c482673c460cadbb19da6.jpgTerrier3.jpg.621153eb10421ad72db8b53d90c683e7.jpgTerrier4.jpg.a132bb6c4469cadb38d8184628e2bd46.jpgTerrier5.jpg.341db00571d1372ee69ba701df4b7aa6.jpg

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

I'm a bit late to the game on this, and Rails now have no sound versions available, only DCC-fitted and DCC-not-fitted versions, and as far as I can tell, no sound retro-fit kits.

Has anyone retro-fitted a DCC-not-fitted Rails Terrier for sound, and if so, which DCC sound chip and speaker are recommendable? I see that the inteface is NEXT-18; there can't be too many decoders to choose from. I'm not even sure that there is a suitable ESU LokSound unit.

The other problem, of course, is getting hold of suitable sound data, and getting this data onto the decoder. I have the ESU programmer, but that only works with ESU decoders.

51 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

I'm a bit late to the game on this, and Rails now have no sound versions available, only DCC-fitted and DCC-not-fitted versions, and as far as I can tell, no sound retro-fit kits.

Has anyone retro-fitted a DCC-not-fitted Rails Terrier for sound, and if so, which DCC sound chip and speaker are recommendable? I see that the inteface is NEXT-18; there can't be too many decoders to choose from. I'm not even sure that there is a suitable ESU LokSound unit.

The other problem, of course, is getting hold of suitable sound data, and getting this data onto the decoder. I have the ESU programmer, but that only works with ESU decoders.

The speaker is already fitted on the non-DCC fitted version. You need to buy an appropriate 18 pin DCC sound chip. Easy to fit.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dogmatix said:

Some sound fitted versions still available from Dapol. https://www.Dapol.co.uk/shop/oo-gauge/Steam-Locomotives-OOGauge/A1_A1X

On 16/04/2021 at 13:03, Dogmatix said:

Thanks. Ordered a lined Southern one.

Anyone know how reliable the Dapol online store is? As I said, I ordered a Terrier (to be sent to my son's address in the UK), they promptly took payment from my credit card, but have received no e-mail confirmation and more importantly, no Terrier has arrived.

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

Anyone know how reliable the Dapol online store is? As I said, I ordered a Terrier (to be sent to my son's address in the UK), they promptly took payment from my credit card, but have received no e-mail confirmation and more importantly, no Terrier has arrived.

I ordered my terrier through Dapol and got an email on order and  another on dispatch.  Hope you resolve your issue!

• 4 weeks later...

Well, my Terrier did arrive at my son's address, and I have retrieved it therefrom and brought it home.

It's going to need some work. One wheel had a non-conductive blemish on it which I have cleaned off, but there must be a problem with the contacts because the locomotive keeps stalling.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dogmatix said:

Well, my Terrier did arrive at my son's address, and I have retrieved it therefrom and brought it home.

It's going to need some work. One wheel had a non-conductive blemish on it which I have cleaned off, but there must be a problem with the contacts because the locomotive keeps stalling.

Return it. Would be the easier path 

9 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

Return it. Would be the easier path 

Probably not. For one thing, replacements are getting thin on the ground. For another thing, I live in Germany, and sending goods worth £240 back & forth will be costly in terms of shipping and would attract the attention of HM Customs & Excise out and Deutsche Zoll back, both of whom might well demand import duties and VAT, all because the UK has left the EU Customs Union & Single Market.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

Probably not. For one thing, replacements are getting thin on the ground. For another thing, I live in Germany, and sending goods worth £240 back & forth will be costly in terms of shipping and would attract the attention of HM Customs & Excise out and Deutsche Zoll back, both of whom might well demand import duties and VAT, all because the UK has left the EU Customs Union & Single Market.

If it’s faulty it wouldn’t cost you a penny to return. They would have to cover the cost. 

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

They would have to cover the cost. 

From Germany? And would they pay any import duties and VAT? And if they repair it or send a new one (if they still have one), would they also cover the shipping and import duties and VAT due at my end?

Somehow, I think not.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

You really are having an unlucky streak with new locos, aren't you!

... what with the Kernow D600, and now this ....... !

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

From Germany? And would they pay any import duties and VAT? And if they repair it or send a new one (if they still have one), would they also cover the shipping and import duties and VAT due at my end?

Somehow, I think not.

If it’s a faulty product then yes they would have to. 

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

Somehow, I think not.

As long as the paperwork is filled in correctly there will be no need to pay import duties or VAT for sending the Loco back to the UK, or when they return it after repair.

You can send items back for repair or replacement and have them returned without the charges.

They just need to be clearly marked as being returned for repair, or being returned from repair,  and covered by a proforma invoice saying that with a very small value just to keep the systems happy (they often won't let you put a value of 0).

We do it at work no problems, to and from the EU and the US.

Rails should be able to do all the paperwork for you and send you a label, all you might have to do is phone the local  depot of the courier they are using and book a time for them to collect the parcel.

Anywhere that sells internationally should be able to handle international returns.

Jim

Edited by JimHearne
  • Informative/Useful 1

It's been a long time since I had a play with Rails Terrier, and while it may be "pedigree" to look at it's performance by comparison to Hornby is pedigree chum ....unless mine is just a dud, but Hornby's takes off like a rocket and stays on the track...  Rails... Does not. My Hattons Ps suffer in the same way, sluggish, growly and prone to derailing. Weird considering the Terrier and B4 are both Dapol products but my B4 performance is perfection.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

It's been a long time since I had a play with Rails Terrier, and while it may be "pedigree" to look at it's performance by comparison to Hornby is pedigree chum ....unless mine is just a dud, but Hornby's takes off like a rocket and stays on the track...  Rails... Does not. My Hattons Ps suffer in the same way, sluggish, growly and prone to derailing. Weird considering the Terrier and B4 are both Dapol products but my B4 performance is perfection.

I have got around six of the new Hornby Terriers and one of the Rails ones, but have not had a chance to give them a thorough test yet.

Your rail joints (set track ?) are a bit gappy and the outer rail that it derails on does not look that well aligned.

It stalls at two places. Have you had a look at the pickups, they might need tweaking to keep them evenly in contact with the back of the wheels at all times without putting on excess pressure and drag.

We cannot see what it does on the rest of the layout, does it derail anywhere else ? The Hornby one seems to sail through o.k.

This could be a back to back problem, but I think that the rail joint wants checking first to see if it can be tightened up and straightened out then test again.

All the best

Ray

1 hour ago, wainwright1 said:

I have got around six of the new Hornby Terriers and one of the Rails ones, but have not had a chance to give them a thorough test yet.

Your rail joints (set track ?) are a bit gappy and the outer rail that it derails on does not look that well aligned.

It stalls at two places. Have you had a look at the pickups, they might need tweaking to keep them evenly in contact with the back of the wheels at all times without putting on excess pressure and drag.

We cannot see what it does on the rest of the layout, does it derail anywhere else ? The Hornby one seems to sail through o.k.

This could be a back to back problem, but I think that the rail joint wants checking first to see if it can be tightened up and straightened out then test again.

All the best

Ray

There's a few tight places it derails where other stock does not, I know my layout is far from perfect, the track is ancient so it is a good test of new loco performance, as we can see the Hornby Terrier has no problems whatsoever, other impressive locos include my H2, B4, 700 and USA Tank that will all sail through any track given to them, at the other end of the spectrum we have my T9, P classes and the Rails Terrier which are all extremely sensitive to imperfections. It really does vary. My E4 derails quite a lot running forwards but in reverse the cab wheels seem to guide it round quite well.

Realllllly hoping the D Classes will perform well.

I will build something better one day when I have space to do so, for now I gotta make do with the ancient roundy at my parents. 

Edited by GreenGiraffe22
  • Friendly/supportive 1

53 minutes ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

There's a few tight places it derails where other stock does not, I know my layout is far from perfect, the track is ancient so it is a good test of new loco performance, as we can see the Hornby Terrier has no problems whatsoever, other impressive locos include my H2, B4, 700 and USA Tank that will all sail through any track given to them, at the other end of the spectrum we have my T9, P classes and the Rails Terrier which are all extremely sensitive to imperfections. It really does vary. My E4 derails quite a lot running forwards but in reverse the cab wheels seem to guide it round quite well.

I will build something better one day when I have space to do so, for now I gotta make do with the ancient roundy at my parents. 

The Dapol/Rails terrier has less side play on the wheels compared with Hornby's but I have no issues with either type (I have 3 of each) on my layout. To be honest none of the classes mentioned above cause me any issues on my layout (whose track work, I don't consider brialliant). The only locos from my fleet of hundreds are the DJM class 71 (comes off all over the place) and the DJM austerity (one spot only).

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

To make an analogy, it does sound as if you are complaining because your Ferrari is bottoming out on a rough farm track.

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

• 8 months later...