Rails of Sheffield/Dapol/NRM Announce OO gauge Stroudley A1/A1X

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Gold

I ordered examples of all three BR Terriers direct from Dapol a couple of weeks ago. 

Sadly, all three have been returned for replacement. 

Two ran poorly and the third was received minus lamp irons and smokebox dart. 

I await their replacements. 

Rob. 

• Friendly/supportive 2

I hope your replacements are better Rob.

I had to take my 32650 apart to straighten the bent footplate and that was 'fun'.

However, once it was apart I was able to file a bit off the bottom of the cab back to get the gutter to line up with the sides.

I also filed the lugs which locate the cab in the footplate so the cab sat vertically.

It sometimes derailed on plain straight track and I eventually found that the board for the DCC gubbins was rubbing on the centre wheel.  It proved difficult to move so I resorted to cutting a bit away just above the wheel with various sharp implements and some cursing.

Rodney

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Rod. 

Yes, I hope for three locos that will run as they should. The emphasis for me is on smooth, slow speed running.  My yardstick is either Dapols own B4 or Hattons P class.  I have six examples in total of both types. They have all run brilliantly straight from the box without any need to tinker. 

I originally put my eggs squarely  in the Hornby Terrier basket and I voiced my concerns/reservations about the quality control of the Rails/Dapol locos at the time. However, the detailing on the Dapol Terriers now  tips the balance. They look the part. 

I therefore thought I would  give them a go. I have an idea for a nice little layout, two in fact. One is goods only with a significant nod to Arun Quay. The other is a Haylingesque BLT. Both will be of the cameo genre. 

Both ideas will rely on smooth, slow speed operation and are intended for exhibition as well as home use. The BLT will not go ahead if the Terriers cannot do this. The goods only layout,  if I go ahead with it without  a Terrier or two, will simply feature either the P classes or the B4s. 

I shall update accordingly. 

Rob. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

On 20/02/2022 at 09:15, NHY 581 said:

I ordered examples of all three BR Terriers direct from Dapol a couple of weeks ago. 

Sadly, all three have been returned for replacement. 

Two ran poorly and the third was received minus lamp irons and smokebox dart. 

I await their replacements. 

Rob. 

Yes I sent one back to Dapol, and asked them to replace or 'sort it out' - it took about three weeks, and I'm pretty sure it was the original engine I got back - but it is now a superb runner.

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, Robin Brasher said:

With the Hornby price increases the Rails cycling lion terrier is considerably cheaper than the Hornby one: Rails £110, Hornby R30008X £147.49.

The X is the DCC fitted version - you can get the DCC ready R30008 for under a ton still. 

• Like 1

After much "Um-ing" and "Uh-ing", I finally got around to ordering the GWR version. Even though I have two other terriers which are in perfect condition (surprisingly) for two years now, I've always been under the impression that I had just gotten lucky with them given the horror stories I've seen/heard. Anyways, No.6 arrived on Tuesday and it seems my luck has finally run out. The running board appears to be warped (even though I'm young, my eyes like to play tricks on me so I'm not entirely sure if it is or not Lol) and the coal guards on the bunker are no where to be found (checked the inside of the box as well). I could send it back but as I am an overseas customer that is not really an option as it would probably cost twice as much sending it back than receiving it. On the bright side, it runs well; no sporadic movements or derailing on curved track so that's a plus I guess.

20220223_182338.jpg

20220223_182610.jpg

20220223_182843.jpg

20220223_182909.jpg

20220223_183053.jpg

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

My suggestion which has worked well with your retailer, especially as the box is clearly marked as tested by them, is to speak to them and get them to pay for the return cost, replacement etc..

There is an obligation for them to make good products sold but not up to spec. I've had far more than my share of poor products in recent years but have never been out of pocket in the end! 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
30 minutes ago, corsair said:

hello does any one know if any one has made a spark arrester for the Hornby terrier please im modeling the hayling billy so i would need one thanks 

Would it be too difficult to make one from discs of plastic card?

CJI.

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have just seen a reasonably priced second hand loco at a model shop, in very good condition but the chimney has been attached at quite an angle. Has anyone had a go at detaching and reattaching a chimney? 

As is the chimney would bother me so I need to consider whether it is worth buying the loco and attempting a fix. 

Edited by Silly Moo
Spelling

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

Agreed re more, but they need to fix some of the design flaws first (cab roof with visible slide for the cab back, should have just been a separate roof; rear bunker and extended coal rails to proper size without a moulded on lamp bracket; and any more if there are any).

• Like 3

11 hours ago, 47606odin said:

full sound version, admittedly second hand, works beautifully,

Great Win indeed but I've one thing that's always been a slight niggle for me on the Dapol/Rails model viz. the direct DCC socket which AFAIK rules out adding a Stay Alive without major structural re-engineering.

In my experience, even with the best, cleanest and most level track, sound projects will reset on the faintest interruption to power. I always add a small Stay Alive to my projects as per the supplier's recommendations and get virtually no issues. Let us know how you go once you gain more experience with your lovely new machine.

Colin

Well, on mine, the join in the roof is barely noticeable. Less than ones I’ve seen in videos so I’m okay with it. It’s also a very smooth and slow runner, so as long as I keep it clean hopefully it’ll give me many hours of fun

A wonderful win.

I would love Rails/Dapol to do Fenchurch in A1 condition with DCC sound.

On 13/02/2024 at 23:02, BWsTrains said:

Great Win indeed but I've one thing that's always been a slight niggle for me on the Dapol/Rails model viz. the direct DCC socket which AFAIK rules out adding a Stay Alive without major structural re-engineering.

In my experience, even with the best, cleanest and most level track, sound projects will reset on the faintest interruption to power. I always add a small Stay Alive to my projects as per the supplier's recommendations and get virtually no issues. Let us know how you go once you gain more experience with your lovely new machine.

Colin

I think a sprung centre axle would be a quick win on this design. Alter all the connecting rods are split and drive is on the last axle.

The paradox is always the small locos most likely to suffer stalling yet being small also means little space unless you place it in a cab or something.

The old Dapol/Hornby one was a cow to fit DCC in general. 

4 hours ago, JSpencer said:

I would love Rails/Dapol to do Fenchurch in A1 condition

Would love to see a Fenchurch too but in 'as it ran' condition before it's recent overhaul, Marsh umber as 672 and as close as they could get to the A1/X hybrid with the tooling suite.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Should Rails consider a re-run or in fact Dapol do their own, I'd be very pleased to see correctly modelled L&SWR Terriers, 734 & 735 make an appearance. 

Rob

• Like 1
  • Agree 1