Rails of Sheffield/Dapol/NRM Announce OO gauge Stroudley A1/A1X

MGR Hooper!

2 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

From a conversation I had today with somebody from Dapol I understand that the tooling changes are done (I know not what they are) and that further livery samples should be reaching the UK in the not too distant future.

it's got a new wheel arrangement and grown a bit - it's now a Bulldog.  Well one can hope :jester:

Will be good to see the new tooling, not hanging around with this are they.

• Funny 1

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, truffy said:

They seem to be progressing faster with Dapol than with Bachmann....:diablo_mini:

11 hours ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Bachmann? They were never making the Terrier for Rails? Where you thinking of the Model Rail USA Tank that started with Dapol and ended with Bachmann?

I presume he means the Caley 812...?

• Agree 3

Wonder if progress would have been as fast if the Hornby product was not already on the shelves. I'm sure many (as I did), were going to wait and compare, but in the end went for the cheaper, possibly inferior but now available Hornby option.

The Caley has no real competition to limit sales.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Comparing to Hornby's offering.

Chimney is not so elegant, obvious kink.

Safety valves don't look right (oversize? - Hornby's look too simple)

Condensing pipes also not as well reproduced. Curve looks too sharp.

3 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Comparing to Hornby's offering.

Chimney is not so elegant, obvious kink.

Safety valves don't look right (oversize? - Hornby's look too simple)

Condensing pipes also not as well reproduced. Curve looks too sharp.

I don't think that photo of Bodmin is the improved version.

Taken straight from the update:

"Tooling modifications have taken slightly longer than anticipated. The new and improved decorated samples of all versions are expected Late June / Early July. Once these have been approved, production will be full steam ahead.

Please note that the images shown are the FIRST decorated sample EP models. We are blown away with the level of detail on these models."

Edited by Jack P
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Out of slightly more than idle curiosity, what would it take to convert Southern 2644 to push-pull duties? I read that Knowle had 1" smaller cylinders fitted, but no more.

• RMweb Premium

Does anyone know if it is possible to cancel an order for one of these and if so, is the deposit refundable?

Edited by John M Upton

Out of curiosity, what's the reason for cancellation? Is it simply taking too long and people have accepted that the Hornby model fits their needs and is available now (and was first, and i'd imagine will be in the future)

Or is it something else?

• RMweb Premium

Yesterday Hornby's Stepney arrived , oiled its bits and placed on the track and of it went , no problems.

My rails order is still there for a terrier i will look forward to comparing them. If as forecast they arrive later this year ( 2019) its really not been very long compared to some.

Derek 19b

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm very happy with my Hornby Terrier. I it runs extremely well out of the box and does look the part. 

A good layout loco. 

I'm not entirely convinced that the Rails version is worth the extra..........but reserve judgment until they arrive. 

Rob.  

On 23/07/2019 at 06:07, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

If you used a credit card, and the total value exceeds £75, surely that's where you obtain a refund on the basis of not delivered to required timescale.

I've got two on order, tried to get them cancelled once, it didn't work, once the pre-order is made for an exclusive model on RoS, unless it's optional to cancel due to price change/uodate, like the Caley 812, the exclusive models cannot be cancelled, regardless of wanting to or not.

17 minutes ago, 9402 Fredrick said:

I've got two on order, tried to get them cancelled once, it didn't work, once the pre-order is made for an exclusive model on RoS, unless it's optional to cancel due to price change/uodate, like the Caley 812, the exclusive models cannot be cancelled, regardless of wanting to or not.

I somehow doubt that this sets aside the provisions of the consumer credit act. If a credit card was used and the value of the goods is over £100, (sorry got the amount wrong in previous post) then the card holder may claim.

Frankly the vendor would be unwise to object. Let's say the transaction goes through. The customer will still be entitled to return for full refund, on whatever grounds they choose to find the supplied item 'unfit for purpose'. If this is distance selling they can have their return shipping refunded too. No model is perfect, and there's no appeal against the customer deciding that the chimney isn't quite the right shape, or lining is the wrong colour, or the cab opening is 3 scale inches undersize.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, 9402 Fredrick said:

That cannot be right, surely? 

You cannot be compelled to purchase something you no longer want. 

Rails have contributed to this thread by way of updates. 

Perhaps some clarity from them is needed here. 

Rob. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On ‎22‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 16:58, John M Upton said:

Does anyone know if it is possible to cancel an order for one of these and if so, is the deposit refundable?

As per the Rails terms and conditions the deposits are non-refundable.

From time to time selected Rails Limited models require a deposit payment to secure. The deposit amount required will be shown on the product listing. Deposits are non-refundable. In exceptional circumstances, such as terminal illness or death, deposits may be refunded at the discretion of the Rails Manager. Please send your request in writing to Rails of Sheffield 21/29 Chesterfield Road, Heeley, Sheffield S8 0RL

I can't see anything that says you cannot cancel.

Roy

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1