Rails of Sheffield/Dapol/NRM Announce OO gauge Stroudley A1/A1X

MGR Hooper!

1 hour ago, PaulRhB said:

A generic Victorian 0-6-0 to match the coaches everyone is getting so perturbed about? ;) 

:diablo_mini:

Not such a bad idea.

Thinking of all those secondhand 1989 tooling Terriers out there, I did think that it would be fun to design a freelance tank to populate a freelance railway company; something quite large, with its own designs and works to build them!   

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing to do with "the sound recording people"

Usually it's an easy CV adjustment to match beats to wheel turns. It's been needed on just about all the sound chips I've fitted after market so should be no big deal for the factory but surprising that it's an outstanding job this late in the piece.

Edited by BWsTrains
add'n
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

12 hours ago, Jack P said:

I don't suppose anyone can tell me how long 2644 stayed in olive green for?

I haven't got the Livery Register in front of me - but I don't think it's on the list of Maunsell green locos that lasted into BR days. ( Pretty sure I've checked already - for obvious reasons !

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jack P said:

I don't suppose anyone can tell me how long 2644 stayed in olive green for?

Pictures of 2644 in olive green in 1938 & 1939.  After that it was only used as shed Pilot at Fratton and then stored with several other Terriers.  I can't imagine that it was repainted during this time.  In July 1948 it was reprieved from the stored dump and repainted in plain black livery with "BRITISH RAILWAYS" in block letters on the tank side and its BR No. on the bunker side.  In March 1949 it was sent to K&ESR as a replacemenmt for 32678 that was lying on ist side inm a field.  §2644 return from there in Jan 1951 and was withdrawn a few months later.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hi all,

As stated in the video description it was the first sound sample sent for review. The chuffs are adjusted electronically by changing the value of the relevant CV to create the correct number per revolution, so we need to fine tune the decoder to the motor/gearbox of the model. Dapol's sound engineer is in possession of the sample and is carrying out the adjustments necessary to correct the chuff ratio, etc.etc.

I jumped the gun as I was excited to see and hear the sound fitted model :)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

A little delay on a small component has cause us a slight set back. All will be delivered by air so that we can get them here as soon as possible. We were all keeping our fingers crossing, hoping the first would make it in time for Warley but unfortunately it simply wasn’t possible. We are so close! They are scheduled to start to arrive early December. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 8
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 5

3 hours ago, Oliver Rails said:

A little delay on a small component has cause us a slight set back. All will be delivered by air so that we can get them here as soon as possible. We were all keeping our fingers crossing, hoping the first would make it in time for Warley but unfortunately it simply wasn’t possible. We are so close! They are scheduled to start to arrive early December. 

Many thanks for the update.

• Agree 2

I had a bet with someone as to what would happen first, Rails Terriers arriving or me getting the keys to my flat (I put the offer in late July), we were certain the Terriers would probably come first but I have just got a completion date of November 29th so I guess my flat has won haha. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

12 hours ago, Oliver Rails said:

So the SECR livery, might be with me in December? Thanks

21 minutes ago, George_ said:

At Warley i couldn't get near Rails stand for the crush, but spoke to Neil on the Dapol stand about the Terrier. He said they were working on remaining technical problems so didn't want to guess at an arrival date, he did confirm they were not expecting to ship in the near future.

Hoping Rails will post an update when they have more to tell.

I've waited long enough that I'm happy to wait for it to be the very best possible, rather than something that's rushed.

• Agree 5

33 minutes ago, George_ said:

At Warley i couldn't get near Rails stand for the crush, but spoke to Neil on the Dapol stand about the Terrier. He said they were working on remaining technical problems so didn't want to guess at an arrival date, he did confirm they were not expecting to ship in the near future.

Hoping Rails will post an update when they have more to tell.

That really is at variance with Rails reply to my query on Tuesday. ( Quote ) 'They are scheduled

to arrive early December '. Who do we believe?.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

"Scheduled" doesn't mean guaranteed, of course. If they're finding issues that need resolving, it's better that they are sorted out than have a batch made with problems that could only lower the interest in them.

Personally, one small but noticeable thing I'm hoping they correct is the BR smokebox number plate position, as in these days of such things being moulded on in the tooling they are difficult to correct by hand without leaving 'scars'.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 24/11/2019 at 09:14, Ian J. said:

"Scheduled" doesn't mean guaranteed, of course. If they're finding issues that need resolving, it's better that they are sorted out than have a batch made with problems that could only lower the interest in them.

Personally, one small but noticeable thing I'm hoping they correct is the BR smokebox number plate position, as in these days of such things being moulded on in the tooling they are difficult to correct by hand without leaving 'scars'.

Agreed - along with the coal rails on the A1X versions. Given the amount of effort Rails have gone to to get the pre-grouping versions spot on, it'd be a shame to see the later versions ruined for the sake of a couple of simple, glaringly obvious errors.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Yes it is close but final tweaks always take longer than anticipated.

Do you want it NOW or do you want it RIGHT?

Experience shows that when something is manufactured a long way away you can't have both, and trying to push things on often means you get neither....

Les

(himself a typical "old man in a hurry" at times....)

• Like 1
  • Agree 8

1 hour ago, Silly Moo said:

I did ask Rails directly on 5th December and was told that they don’t have a confirmed delivery date. I was hoping to get mine in time for Christmas.

You WILL get it for Christmas - without any doubt ..................................................................................... but not necessarily THIS Christmas.

• Funny 2