Rails of Sheffield/Dapol/NRM Announce OO gauge Stroudley A1/A1X

MGR Hooper!

9 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

I believe Wickham Green was referring to a Brighton D1 0-4-2 tank, not a SECR bogie express loco. 

Oh, was he? Well, let’s have one of them as well. :jester: On the other hand, if we are going to have a Brighton tank, let’s have a Baltic! I know – no chance.

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

Oh, was he? Well, let’s have one of them as well. :jester: On the other hand, if we are going to have a Brighton tank, let’s have a Baltic! I know – no chance.

The L was a magnificent loco and did what it said on the tin - lifting the heaviest trains out of Vic and London Bridge to the coast. But there were only a handful, compared to 125 D1s. As for manufacture, given some recent announcements, never say never!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Oldddudders said:

The L was a magnificent loco and did what it said on the tin - lifting the heaviest trains out of Vic and London Bridge to the coast. But there were only a handful, compared to 125 D1s. As for manufacture, given some recent announcements, never say never!

Never give up hope! They did look magnificent and that might just be enough to tempt a commissioner.

As for my misidentification – a classic case of reading what one wants to read!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

22 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Yes, I was, indeed, referring to a 'Brighton' 'D1' 0-4-2T ........ but if any manufacturer contemplates a 'Chatham' 'D1' 4-4-0 ( maybe as a follow-up to their 'D' - HINT, HINT ! ) I'd be interested too [ but not before I finish the 'Golden Arrow' scratch-aid I'm struggling with, please ] ....................................................... now, as for the 'L' - that's another handsome 'Chatham' 4-4-0 ............................... ! ......................................

+1 for a Brighton D1! I've said elsewhere on this forum a D1 Motor Train Pack is just waiting to be manufacturerd :wub: especially in an age where modellers like myself have limited space. 2 - 3 carriage trains are ideal. 

Stroudley D1 class no. 2244 heads a motor train at Lake Lane in Barnham. [J. H. Venn / Mike Morant collection]

Stroudley D1 class no. 2275 departs from Ford Junction with a Ford Jct. -  Littlehampton motor train service. [J. H. Venn / Mike Morant collection]

Edited by GreenGiraffe22
Added text
  • Like 3
  • Agree 3

3 hours ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

+1 for a Brighton D1! I've said elsewhere on this forum a D1 Motor Train Pack is just waiting to be manufacturerd :wub: especially in an age where modellers like myself have limited space. 2 - 3 carriage trains are ideal. 

Stroudley D1 class no. 2244 heads a motor train at Lake Lane in Barnham. [J. H. Venn / Mike Morant collection]

Stroudley D1 class no. 2275 departs from Ford Junction with a Ford Jct. -  Littlehampton motor train service. [J. H. Venn / Mike Morant collection]

I think we should agitate for one ....

It would suit all Brighton fans down to the ground.  In the IEG era, they fit neatly in with Terriers or Model Rail's planned E1, and in the umber era would additionally complement Bachmann's E4.  They would be a second locomotive that would support the introduction of Balloon trailers as these could be run singly with Terriers pre-Grouping and in pairs with D1s post Grouping.

So ....

"What do we want?"

"A Brighton D1"

"When do we want it?"

"As soon as is reasonably possible, allowing for the long lead-times necessarily affecting new RTR projects" 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

...would support the introduction of Balloon trailers...

If this needs the obligatory "I must finish my kit so as to guarantee the announcement of an RTR version", I'm willing to step in at this point.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

"Coronavirus: Companies tell workers 'stay at home' - BBC News"

This is looking to become a massive issue if infection levels continue to rise in / beyond beyond Hubei Province. BBC News quoted that 31 Provinces now are affected, several significantly. Schools / Factories to delay restarts after the LNY break. This is tragic for all involved so the very least we can do is further temper our delivery expectations.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, BWsTrains said:

"Coronavirus: Companies tell workers 'stay at home' - BBC News"

This is looking to become a massive issue if infection levels continue to rise in / beyond beyond Hubei Province. BBC News quoted that 31 Provinces now are affected, several significantly. Schools / Factories to delay restarts after the LNY break. This is tragic for all involved so the very least we can do is further temper our delivery expectations.

I'd be very ashamed of the modelling community if delivery times were considered more important than factory workers' lives.

• Agree 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

I'd be very ashamed of the modelling community if delivery times were considered more important than factory workers' lives.

Over the years on RMweb there have been a number of occasions when members indicated that the impending availability of a desired model was not simply a matter of life or death - but much more important than that. Then and now, I remain uncertain of how sincere some of them were. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 8
  • Funny 4

20 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Over the years on RMweb there have been a number of occasions when members indicated that the impending availability of a desired model was not simply a matter of life or death - but much more important than that. Then and now, I remain uncertain of how sincere some of them were. 

There is, sadly, a lot of entitlement in this hobby. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

A fascinating things about 'matter of life and death' models is how a percentage of pre-orders evaporates at the time it becomes necessary to part with real money.  it is of course quite likely that those whose orders vanish are not the ones whose continued existence on earth relies on the near immediate arrival of a particular model but from what I have heard from 'informed sources' that has been know to happen on occasion.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

On 26/01/2020 at 11:34, No Decorum said:

Never give up hope! They did look magnificent and that might just be enough to tempt a commissioner.

As for my misidentification – a classic case of reading what one wants to read!

Did somebody say L class? :)

• Like 7

On 27/01/2020 at 11:24, GreenGiraffe22 said:

An R2R D1 would be lovely, here are my dad's ones

Just for inspiration! 

• Like 5

Death dealing virus or not, I've never had much sympathy for expressions of impatience where the release of a model is concerned.  Now I've seen something of what goes into such a product, I realise that impatience is in any case futile!  What I've been seeing lately is a really stunning product, but one that needed the odd tweak to conform to specs, hence the recent delays.

When I saw a hi-res image of the umber 643, which of course was several times larger than the model itself,  I thought I must be looking at an O gauge model.  I suppose that was the effect of the degree of refinement achieved; it looked to me more like a model with the scale appearance to achievable in a larger scale model, but shrunk to 4mm, rather than a 4mm model, if you see what I mean.   

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

On ‎17‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 22:39, Oldddudders said:

No - but I can tell you that on Southern it was called pull-push. 

On reflection, that actually makes sense, rather than being something otherwise arbitrary. On the outbound journey, the locomotive is at the front of the train (assuming it's not the second in a 1+3), and therefore pulls; on the return, it's at the back, and pushes.

There's a mnemonic, right there!

And all I have to do is remember that a mnemonic exists in the first place!

34 minutes ago, truffy said:

On reflection, that (Pull-Push) actually makes sense, rather than being something otherwise arbitrary. On the outbound journey, the locomotive is at the front of the train (assuming it's not the second in a 1+3), and therefore pulls; on the return, it's at the back, and pushes.

That's a falsifiable hypothesis, If anyone wants to test it!

I suggest instead: evidence of a prescriptive mindset in whoever created the term on the Southern, neatly in alphabetical order; preference for euphony where 'push-pull' was used (and to round off UK usage for such things, incomprehensible; 'Reversitrain' would directly convey more meaning than 'Autotrain' which term would more appropriately have been applied to the diesel railcar, cf. 'automobile). As with all things linguistic, there will be plentiful alternative opinion!

30 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

That's a falsifiable hypothesis, If anyone wants to test it!

I suggest instead: evidence of a prescriptive mindset in whoever created the term on the Southern, neatly in alphabetical order; preference for euphony where 'push-pull' was used (and to round off UK usage for such things, incomprehensible; 'Reversitrain' would directly convey more meaning than 'Autotrain' which term would more appropriately have been applied to the diesel railcar, cf. 'automobile). As with all things linguistic, there will be plentiful alternative opinion!

Pendelzug!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, truffy said:

On reflection, that actually makes sense, rather than being something otherwise arbitrary. On the outbound journey, the locomotive is at the front of the train (assuming it's not the second in a 1+3), and therefore pulls; on the return, it's at the back, and pushes.

There's a mnemonic, right there!

And all I have to do is remember that a mnemonic exists in the first place!

But how do you define the outbound journey?

9 minutes ago, Talltim said:

But how do you define the outbound journey?

It's the one that begins at the start and ends at the end :jester:

Or the first one of the day.

Or the one that starts at the primary station on a branch line.

Or......whatever you choose. It's only a mnemonic, it doesn't need to be analysed to death.

Edited by truffy

2 hours ago, Wickham Green said:

..... not to be confused with Pendolino  - though that's only a glorified Push-Pull in reality !

2 hours ago, Wickham Green said:

..... not to be confused with Pendolino  - though that's only a glorified Push-Pull in reality !

Not really, that's a 91 or the WCML / GEML Mk3 DVT combos, a Pendolino has multiple motors distributed through the train.  :D

• Agree 1