Rails of Sheffield/Dapol/NRM Announce OO gauge Stroudley A1/A1X

MGR Hooper!

5 minutes ago, BlueLightning said:

I don't think I was trying to find fault, 

Gary

OK, so perhaps just choose your correspondents with more care (they may not be as pure in motivation as you) and don't post "information" you have not verified.  In this case it was not only misleading and wrong but prejudicial to the model and its progenitors, who have every right to be annoyed at such irresponsible posting.  I'm not annoyed, I'm just the poor b*gger expected to deal with it. 

Sometimes people offer "information" to me.  I take the view that I won't post anything that I cannot establish as correct from sources available to me. Some stuff checks out, some doesn't.  I call this "the Swain Filter". You should get one and use it to screen your posts!

Keep Calm and Buy a (Rails) Terrier! 

• Friendly/supportive 5

2 minutes ago, BlueLightning said:

You are quite right James, I should have checked my sources better, and for that I apologise.

I'll try and not let it happen again!

Gary

That's alright, thanks Gary, I'm just griping because it was yet another thing to deal with!   And thanks to Graham Muz and Linny for straightening out the point. 

Good to know that none need wake up in the night screaming about the length of their Terrier 

(that would have been really unfortunate) ;)

• Like 4

I have to say that fitting Dapol's Imperium2 chip in this loco just now was an absolute doddle. The chip (shown top in photo below) is actually smaller than the blanking plate (bottom below)!  Just the 2 screws to undo that hold the couplings in place and the chassis separates from the body, though not completely away due to the 2 black wires going to the speaker. Don't mistake the firebox electronics for the blanking plate as I did initially (the blanking plate is on the side of the motor and so the chip fits in the right-hand water tank).  It reassembled very easily (though some tiny tweezers to hold the screws would have helped). Now to try it out as DCC.

Jeremy

20200516_163104.jpg.47ccfd6b445bded2ab2f010a74d6cce3.jpg

p.s. I am still puzzled by the comment below in the manual regarding "running in prototypical fashion" for the factory fitted chips.

20200516_165652.jpg.60264335b5ed8c09fc5b366d8e9875f8.jpg

Edited by JeremyKarl
Deleted duplicate photo
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

My late BR terrier runs very well on DCC - it will crawl at a very slow pace if needed - and opening the firebox door by toggling F1 is a lovely effect. Must admit that I am sorely tempted to upgrade one in my remaining order with Rails to a sound fitted... One very satisfied customer :D

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JeremyKarl said:

p.s. I am still puzzled by the comment below in the manual regarding "running in prototypical fashion" for the factory fitted chips.

20200516_165652.jpg.60264335b5ed8c09fc5b366d8e9875f8.jpg

It could mean acceleration and deceleration figures. But of course would only affect the factory fitted DCC models. 

• RMweb Gold

A quick update,

Oliver at Rails has been in touch and offered a replacement, unprompted and on his weekend ! Good man.

Definitely want a replacement not a return, this a lovely model, Definitely reccomend the firebox flicker. Ive already folded and ordered the IOW SR Green and a GWR one this am too..

I feel a night time running session coming on later next week.

Edited by adb968008

20 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Good to know that none need wake up in the night screaming about the length of their Terrier 

No Terrier expects the Spanish Inquisition......

:whistle:

BTW, I'm weakening...  I'm sure that the info is in the thread, but what with the wars, etc,  when is the "penny plain" SE&CR 751 due out?  I've a new version Hornby BR livery Terrier, but I'm leaning to getting the Rails SE&CR one to replace the "old version" Hornby 751 to accompany my Hornby SE&CR H class and Hattons P class...

Edited by Hroth
Supplementary Question and lack of proofreading before posting...
  • Funny 2

53 minutes ago, Hroth said:

No Terrier expects the Spanish Inquisition......

:whistle:

BTW, I'm weakening...  I'm sure that the info is in the thread, but what with the wars, etc,  when is the "penny plain" SE&CR 751 due out?  I've a new version Hornby BR livery Terrier, but I'm leaning to getting the Rails SE&CR one to replace the "old version" Hornby 751 to accompany my Hornby SE&CR H class and Hattons P class...

I'm probably looking forward to the SE&CR version more than any, unless it's the umber 643.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, pushpull33 said:

Perhaps find an old Ks kit, buy a motor, buy a gearbox, buy some wheels, some paint, some transfers and try and build one for 130 quid!

Ah, but then, IIRC, Ks never recessed the tank tops either!  ;)

Edited by Edwardian
spelling!
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Before I contact the folks at Rails, can anyone suggest a possible solution for the poor, jerky performance of both my BR liveried non-DCC examples? There definitely seems to be a pickup issue as both tend to stall when passing over points (Peco Code 75 with switched frogs), they often need a nudge before they’ll move off and the smooth slow running I expected just doesn’t happen. Unless I misread the instructions, running in isn’t actually necessary but perhaps I should give that a go first?

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

I've been trying, and failing, to figure out, what is going on pickup-wise in Andy's pic. There seems to be a rigid busbar under each set of axle bushes?

I'll try and get some better pics tomorrow. I'd wedged a screwdriver under the centre axle when I was looking whether the compensation was the same as their B4.

• RMweb Gold

I discovered that mine has a bent footplate as well, so I e-mailed Rails yesterday afternoon asking to return it for a replacement and was very pleasantly surprised to receive a returns label from them, by return.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• Moderators
19 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

I've been trying, and failing, to figure out, what is going on pickup-wise in Andy's pic. There seems to be a rigid busbar under each set of axle bushes?

On 16/05/2020 at 13:46, Captain Kernow said:

I'm not sure when I'm going to be able to take the chassis of my Rails example apart, in order to try to sort out the pick up problem, but can anyone kindly advise whether the chassis uses conventional pick ups (ie. 'wiper' types) or something else, such as split chassis?

I had made an incorrect assumption that the brass bushes were part of the pick-up circuit. They're not.

It's wiper pick-ups to the rear face of the wheel and the copper contact strip fits around the chassis side therefore it's worth checking the wheel back is clean too.

Pick-up.jpg

• Thanks 4
  • Informative/Useful 9

According to Grahams review, the wheel inserts are plastic, so I guess any pickup touching that instead of the metal tyre will have some of the issues described. It should be easy to tweek though.

• RMweb Premium

Now I know what to look for I've had a look at the pick-ups on mine, and it appears that three of the six aren't properly in contact with the wheels when pushed outward from the chassis side. I will at some point be taking it apart to remedy them.

• Informative/Useful 2

11 hours ago, truffy said:

Good morning everyone 

I think Graham's review is honest, ballanced and objective, certainly when compared to some YouTube reviews that are either almost hostile or ignore any shortcomings completely.

If you read this, thanks Graham.

Kind regards

Andy.

• Like 5
  • Agree 9
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 18/05/2020 at 22:59, Ventnor said:

Good morning everyone 

I think Graham's review is honest, ballanced and objective, certainly when compared to some YouTube reviews that are either almost hostile or ignore any shortcomings completely.

If you read this, thanks Graham.

Kind regards

Andy.

I disagree.

This is a review of the Dapol Rails Terrier.

The word “Hornby” is used 15 times, 4 times encouraged (retooling of future new Hornby model x2, generic reference to “Hornby standard” and 2x negatively (length, incorrect guard irons, buffers all placed in the same sentence).

The word “Rails ” is used just 4 times in context of the Retailer (excluding coal rails etc). Reading the article, I think it details the short comings quite consistently throughout the review, with the Rails model.

i feel informed of the Rails short comings, but not of its praises, additionally  not Hornby's deficiencies (its either a perfect model or just not mentioned).

The review reveals inside information on Hornbys future plans for the tooling, which I dont feel is relevant in an impartial review of a competitors product, and neglects to mention one of the biggest differentiators of the two models (the firebox flickr). [Edit: my error it does, negatively]

my conclusion is, whilst informative, and definitely worth a read, but to find this not impartial.

I have however decided to not buy the current new Hornby terrier, beyond one I have planned, as its suggested theres another iteration to be tooled in the future, so imho its wiser to wait and see.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

The review reveals inside information on Hornbys future plans for the tooling,

I have however decided to not buy the current new Hornby terrier, beyond one I have planned, as its suggested theres another iteration to be tooled in the future, so imho its wiser to wait and see.

An interesting insight. It's dog eat dog in the world of RTR locomotives...

1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

neglects to mention one of the biggest differentiators of the two models (the firebox flickr).

Perhaps you were too preoccupied counting Hornby references but he does mention the fire box flicker (albeit in a rather negative way).

For the record I am not going to be buying either version so have no axe to grind and therefore would normally have kept quiet but thought this should be corrected.

Steve

• Like 2