Rails of Sheffield/Dapol/NRM Announce OO gauge Stroudley A1/A1X

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Richard Croft said:

Yeah thats why I said they need setting up depending on what loco the decoder is fitted to, its you who said they will be the same in every loco!

Richard

Not exactly, the comment was aimed at the person that suggested the different size of wheels on 0 gauge meant the chuffs would be at a different rate to 00.

They still need to tie in to wheel revs, whatever the wheel size, gearing or whatever.

• RMweb Premium

As to the chiff-choff type sound on certain Terriers, "Martello" at Bressingham also seems to do that.

I've just been watching the programme from C5, Inside the Steam Museum"  and although the clip was short Martello definitely had that pop type beat tom the exhaust.

Martello has recently been restored as B 662 in Olive Green so a possible future release?

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Richard Croft said:

I watched that earlier too, I wasnt even aware of that railway, I'd consider buying a model of it if they did one, it looked really good

Richard

You also clearly saw why the Terrier has a lip on the top of the side tanks when they came to fix the newly painted cladding back on.

• RMweb Premium

I have to admit my knowledge of how sound decoders do their timing is pretty poor. I just knew that when I saw the O gauge Terrier seeming to have too many beats, it made me wonder if it was set up for 4mm.

My reasoning is that in any given absolute distance (that is, independent of scale), a smaller wheel turns more to cover that distance than a larger wheel.

I accept that in scale distance, given a same size wheel then in any scale it should have the same revolutions compared to other scales.

• RMweb Premium

Unless a synchronising cam is being used, and I'm not aware of any British models with one, then the chuff rate will depend on the gearing between motor and wheel. This is likely to vary between models, so your basic argument stands. If the decoder was setup for a particular model, putting it in another might give a different chuff rate. On most decoders this can be adjusted.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, melmerby said:

It needs to be set up manually by the user once installed.

The decoder cannot know the gearing of what it is installed in.

Here's a suggestion for the future

Miniature magnet set into the back of driving wheel

Hall device mounted in chassis

Output from Hall device fed to decoder to ensure perfect synchronisation.

Come on you decoder manufacturers, give it a go.

More like a blast from the past because various methods of synchronising exhaust beats (I believe a cam was one of the more popular methods) were being used by modellers in the USA back in the 20th century.  But some sort of link, by whatever method, between the driving wheels and the sound system is the only way to do it properly as the exhaust beats will then vary properly in relation to the rate at which the driving wheels are rotating, even if they slip.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Nile said:

Unless a synchronising cam is being used, and I'm not aware of any British models with one, then the chuff rate will depend on the gearing between motor and wheels 

I think it actually works off the power supplied at a set step as motor faults become very apparent when the chuff suddenly goes out and the loco is noticeably slower than usual. 

EDM do a super little magnet cam that you could retrofit to axles with frames and bearings.
https://ngtrains.com/shop/product/edm-models-2-cylinder-on-beat-synch-disk-clip-fit/

There’s no reason a similar opening, to the drive gear one, in a cast frame couldn’t allow easy fitting of similar cams without having to fit anything in the back of already fine wheels. 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Informative/Useful 2

Over the years, I have built up a small collection of KESR wagons (Dapol exclusives for the KESR shop, technically fairly generic in a KESR livery or KESR local industry). So here we are with Bodiam and Rolvenden top and tailing a small train (really need some plausible 1905 brake vans!!).

Also a comparison with a Dapol B4 which suddenly looks like it is overscale (it is not, the Terrier really is smaller).

Terrier014.jpg

Terrier015.jpg

Terrier016.jpg

Terrier017.jpg

Terrier018.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

More like a blast from the past because various methods of synchronising exhaust beats (I believe a cam was one of the more popular methods) were being used by modellers in the USA back in the 20th century.  But some sort of link, by whatever method, between the driving wheels and the sound system is the only way to do it properly as the exhaust beats will then vary properly in relation to the rate at which the driving wheels are rotating, even if they slip.

Also need to be set up relative to the position of the coupling rods...

(I don't do sound myself, or at least, if I do, I'm making the sounds myself.)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I am very happy to report that my replacement Terrier arrived today and it is a little beauty. I now have the pick of the litter. I can’t find any cosmetic faults at all and it runs beautifully. I really like the firebox flicker. 

I am impressed by the packaging and comprehensive instructions and the ability to obtain spare parts. 

Thanks to all at Rails for the quick turn around. 

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Silly Moo said:

I am very happy to report that my replacement Terrier arrived today and it is a little beauty. I now have the pick of the litter. I can’t find any cosmetic faults at all and it runs beautifully. I really like the firebox flicker. 

I am impressed by the packaging and comprehensive instructions and the ability to obtain spare parts. 

Thanks to all at Rails for the quick turn around. 

Just PM'd you re this,

Colin

7 hours ago, BWsTrains said:

Just PM'd you re this,

Colin

Perhaps I’m being more than characteristically obtuse, but I don’t understand the point of this post. She will receive the PM anyway and, depending on notification settings, will be aware of it sooner than reading your reply.

At least we know that you know how to use the personal messaging system, I suppose. So that’s nice. 

• Agree 2
  • Funny 3

3 hours ago, truffy said:

At least we know that you know how to use the personal messaging system, I suppose. So that’s nice. 

Always look on the bright side aye Truffy! 

Do we have any update for the later DCC/Sound fitted versions? My understanding was they were supposed to be in at the end of the week that the DC versions arrived. No rush, just wondering :angel:

• Informative/Useful 1

On 01/06/2020 at 15:12, JSpencer said:

Also a comparison with a Dapol B4 which suddenly looks like it is overscale (it is not, the Terrier really is smaller).

Terrier018.jpg

Indeed, I was struck by the same thought yesterday when my first B4 arrived!

IMG_9540.JPG.121c14ff297088def1ce157944493fae.JPG

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

The B4 tank with its 7’ wheelbase and overall length of 24’ 10 1/2” was certainly one of the largest 0-4-0 tanks of its time. 

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, truffy said:

Perhaps I’m being more than characteristically obtuse, but I don’t understand the point of this post. She will receive the PM anyway and, depending on notification settings, will be aware of it sooner than reading your reply.

Sorry, wrong!

I had very good reason to use a "belt and braces" approach on this occasion. I've have a couple of recent instances when my PMs have not been read immediately despite the person being on line and posting. Clearly not everyone reads their alerts or PM mail as religiously as you expect them to, or perhaps they get a lot and choose to leave mail until later?

For the issue in question I genuinely needed a prompt response and it helped me regarding to an order I'm just about to make.

What is offensive to me is that you need to resort to sarcasm to embellish your erroneous point. Sarcasm is rarely amusing to the recipient so in using it you chose to offend. It is the sort of crass behavior which lowers the tone of this place.

• Agree 3
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

13 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Indeed, I was struck by the same thought yesterday when my first B4 arrived!

IMG_9540.JPG.121c14ff297088def1ce157944493fae.JPG

I think I resolved my break van problem. Light railways seem to have been fairly exempt to running a goods train without one. The EKR got one very late while the KESR did not have one until 1906, and then a very old 1877 ex GWR one.

1 hour ago, JSpencer said:

I think I resolved my break van problem. Light railways seem to have been fairly exempt to running a goods train without one. The EKR got one very late while the KESR did not have one until 1906, and then a very old 1877 ex GWR one.

The RVR/KESR mainly ran goods in mixed trains and the Hurst Nelson brake vans were for passenger trains, so little need initially for a goods break.  They then purchased an ex-GW, much like the one behind Guernsey in the photo.  

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, Jack P said:

Always look on the bright side aye Truffy! 

Do we have any update for the later DCC/Sound fitted versions? My understanding was they were supposed to be in at the end of the week that the DC versions arrived. No rush, just wondering :angel:

Me too, I notice that the umber version with dcc is available on the Dapol website - so presumably  getting closer. Mine is a birthday present for me in July - so plenty of time yet!

• Like 1

On 30/05/2020 at 09:55, RodneyS said:

I was just going to ask the same !

I had to return my Bodiam because of broken and loose parts and a cab footstep missing.

I am still waiting for a replacement so, just in case it also has a curved running plate, it would be useful to know.

I don't mind glueing loose parts back on because I think I can probably get them straighter than they were before.

It is a hassle packing up and returning a model.

Rodney

I have yet to personally get my hands on a Rails/Dapol Terrier, but I have friends who have (and in one instance have seen the issues) and they range from out of line running plates / missing steps to broken detailing (lamp irons and smoke box darts - I haven't seen a wonky chimney). It's not acceptable for the simple reason that this was marketed as a premium product - and was priced as such - but it would appear that Dapol doesn't have the quality procedures to match. This on a product that can cost over 50% more than you can actually pick up the Hornby versions for.

I've no doubt a 100% correct one is a gem, but at their price point this should be the rule rather than the exception.

• Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

19 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

The B4 tank with its 7’ wheelbase and overall length of 24’ 10 1/2” was certainly one of the largest 0-4-0 tanks of its time. 

Would be interesting to compare one with an LNER Y4 : virtually the same length ( given the different buffers ) but looking beefier with a higher-pitched boiler and outside Walschaerts while balanced on a mere 6' wheelbase ! ................................. but if we're wish-listing Great Eastern tankies - which we weren't - the Buckjumper family is still a VERY conspicuous gap in the r.t.r. family.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Agree. A J67, 68 or 69 would be very nice indeed. 

Rob. 

• Agree 1