Rails of Sheffield/Dapol/NRM Announce OO gauge Stroudley A1/A1X

MGR Hooper!

I have two questions for RAILS please:

1/ when the model is said to DCC ready and sound ready, what does sound ready mean please?

Does it mean it comes with a speaker pre-installed or that there will be a speaker space and wire the thing up yourself?

If wiring up yourself, and being a next 18 chip, how will the user do that?

2/ Earlier in thread, someone said it will feature firebox glow (in line with Dapol's new GWR engines). However I did not see this in any official announcement. Is it true?

If so, does it exist for all types (DCC ready, sound ready and DCC) ?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Rgds John

Without wanting to hijack this thread too much and turn it into a' southern livery ' thread, I was Just having a look through some other photos in that album, there's some fantastic photos! Certainly shows several different shades of Southern green and I was surprised at how dirty locos and stock got even before WW2, also interesting to see malachite locos and carriages appearing as early as 1938/9, is that a shot of a Schools in malachite without smoke deflectors I saw?

The 'missing' smoke deflector is a trick of the - lack of - light.

Ah yes I see it now, still, I didn't realise they started going malachite pre/during war

Virtually all the 'first rank' express locos received Malachite before going black - and most received it after the war, again, before they got B.R. green. ( Can't be precise about numbers as I haven't got my books to hand.)

• 3 weeks later...

Noticed today in the May'18 issue of Model Rail (Page 9) that delivery is expected in 2019, however the initial announcement suggested 4Q18.

The announcement only states

"decorated samples are expected to be avaliable in time for Warley 2018"

I thought Rails said they were hoping to have the finished product within 18 months.

I wish there was a bit more era information with each variant, I thought perhaps they'd been clever and picked a green one that stayed green till BR but then I found a photo of it in wartime black.

• RMweb Gold

The announcement only states

"decorated samples are expected to be avaliable in time for Warley 2018"

I thought Rails said they were hoping to have the finished product within 18 months.

You're right!  I was working on the red text at the bottom of this (sorry for the size, copied but can't resize)...

OO%20Gauge%20Terrier%20Catalogue%20Pages

You're right! I was working on the red text at the bottom of this (sorry for the size, copied but can't resize)...

OO%20Gauge%20Terrier%20Catalogue%20Pages

Fair play, I didn't even notice that, I presume it's a typo as 18 months from now would put it in Q4 2019, although if they want livery samples by the end of this year I'm not entirely sure why it would take them another 10 months or so to get the final product unless the livery samples were 50 shades of wrong.

• RMweb Premium

I think next year is more realistic if livery samples are only likely to appear by November.

I hope we get to see some CAD output during development. It would be nice to see that any minor shortcomings in the O gauge model weren't being replicated due to a simplistic down-scaling of the existing CADs and associated tooling.

I think next year is more realistic if livery samples are only likely to appear by November.

I hope we get to see some CAD output during development. It would be nice to see that any minor shortcomings in the O gauge model weren't being replicated due to a simplistic down-scaling of the existing CADs and associated tooling.

Ian,

I'd like to think that, if there were shortcomings to the O Gauge model, they would not be reproduced in the OO model and that this is more than just a "Honey, I shrank the Terrier" release, but for those of us unfamiliar with the 7mm version, can you list the issues identified with them, please?

That way, people can take a more informed view of the CADs and feed back to Dapol.

I assume that manufacturers provide such information in order to elicit comment and correction, not merely as part of some slow reveal marketing, and certainly that would be the time to take an informed approach; we've seen in the past how ratty people get when it comes to pointing out mistakes in tooling, as these are far more expensive to put right and, as a result, often aren't put right resulting in some fairly compromised models that might still sell, but that fail to add lustre to the manufacturer's reputation.

SECR 751 is missing the steam blower pipe that SECR photoes of her clearly show her as having while in A1 condition.

BTW 751 was not the first a Terrier to run on the Sheppy light railway though. 671 Wapping was hired to build the line from the LBSCR before being sold later to become 5 Rolvenden on the KESR.

Edited by JSpencer

• 2 weeks later...

Was it not an Airfix model first? I'm sure I have an Airfix Terrier box somewhere.

Nope, entirely Dapol. Dapol did have lots of spare Airfix and Mainline boxes but I never saw them use one on any of their purely developed products (pug, terrier, county etc).

I remember at the Signal Box once that we sent out a Dapol 14XX in an Airfix box and the customer sent it back saying they ordered the Dapol one and had not ordered the Airfix one. So we sent it back explaining that Dapol were still using former Airfix boxes for former Airfix items. The customer did not believe this and sent it back again which we refunded.

• 2 weeks later...

Very, very pleased to see this model announced having wanted an up-to-date Terrier for a long time. However, I'm waiting for a later LBSC livery.

Agree.  The two variants that would be certain purchases for me would be (i) IEG without condensing pipes and (ii) motor fitted umber with pipes restored.

Of course, I can take a view on conversion and repainting in due course, but there are bound to be further livery options in the future and I am in no immediate hurry.

The SE&CR version, however, risks providing yet another distraction, in the direction of Sheppey. 

I am slightly hanging fire, though.  I have some concerns over Dapol's output.  There are issues with the B4 that have put me off and the GW Railcar was probably not as good as it could have been.  The 7mm Terrier had some issues, and, moreover, given a legitimate spectrum of IEG, they were too yellow IMHO.  That is not to say any of these matters will be reflected in the RAILS 4mm version.  I suspect this will be a very good model, but I want to see a little more of it before I make a choice, given the pedigree. 

In the end, though, at the very least as basis for any A1 I am likely to want to model, this new model is likely to be a much better starting point than either the existing RTR version or the old Ks kit (assuming you can find one).

I shall watch developments with eager interest.

The SE&CR version, however, risks providing yet another distraction, in the direction of Sheppey. 

I've been reading about the Sheppy light railway. When she worked the line, the passenger trains were 6 wheel carriages pulled by a Sondes class. None of these 6 wheelers were the ones that eventually made onto the IOW nor preserved, they came along much later after the Steam railcars had left.

Interesting subjects for sure but a lot of scratch building to complete the rest.

Now - the Dapol drawings are missing the steam blower pipe that the loco had in those early SECR days. So hopefully they will add it.

• Like 1

I've been reading about the Sheppy light railway. When she worked the line, the passenger trains were 6 wheel carriages pulled by a Sondes class. None of these 6 wheelers were the ones that eventually made onto the IOW nor preserved, they came along much later after the Steam railcars had left.

Interesting subjects for sure but a lot of scratch building to complete the rest.

Now - the Dapol drawings are missing the steam blower pipe that the loco had in those early SECR days. So hopefully they will add it.

I read that she was intended for goods work but helped out with passenger work from time to time.

I like the idea of the Sondes and the Terrier working a little Light Railway together, and, of course, one could "progress" to a steam rail motor during an operating sequence.  

I think that, so far, they've re-cycled the 7mm drawings, so we are advised not to be concerned by discrepancies, e.g. wooden brake blocks for Boxhill.

We just need to keep an eye out as things develop.

• 4 weeks later...

Having seen the gorgeous O gauge 672 Fenchurch by Dapol in A1 condition, any chance this will be added to Rails OO selection at some point please? Pretty please? Pretty please with a cherry on top....

• Like 1

Looking at the superb recent addition of the 0 gauge 'Terriers', I couldn't help but notice that the wheels are still unlined. I do hope the 00 gauge one's do include lining on the wheels

And, coloured wooden brake blocks, rather than just black

Edited by Tic-toc

Looking at the superb recent addition of the 0 gauge 'Terriers', I couldn't help but notice that the wheels are still unlined. I do hope the 00 gauge one's do include lining on the wheels

And, coloured wooden brake blocks, rather than just black

I suspect that the brakes would not have stayed wood colour for long. I bet they had a good coat of creosote too. Nice idea but one easy to address with a paint brush.

I am actually becoming increasingly excited about the prospect of this release.   The O Gauge Terrier was very charismatic and the sort of model that people happily planned a layout round.  The RAILS OO Gauge Terrier could be another such model, and there will be plenty of stuff to go with it; I have even started to build some Stroudley coaches!

Some concerns to get out of the way, first.  I was a little disappointed with the LSWR B4, and I hope the model represented the last of legacy issues inherited from a previous design team.  However, it leaves RAILS with a need to get Dapol to up its current OO game significantly if it is to do justice to the Terrier. Solecisms like apparently mistaking vent holes for rivets (and putting them in the wrong place) and missing out a key lining component of a pre-Grouping livery, do nothing to inspire the belief that Dapol is yet where it needs to be. Furthermore, the O gauge Terrier was not free of issues, so rescaling without further research and design work is not going cut the mustard.  I am also nervous when we hear things like 'its only the artwork, the real model will be corrected', because that beckons forward the ghost of the B4 again.  I can only judge a manufacturer on what it's managed to produce to date, and, so, I just cannot have the same confidence about Dapol as a manufacturing partner as I do about RAILS's other current partners, Rapido and Bachmann.  My hope is that having a commissioner engaged in the process encourages Dapol to get it right and to correct, not ignore, any problems spotted along the way. That said, I am going to reserve judgment rather than assume the worst.  I hope, very much, that any concerns at this stage will be dispelled in due course.

The Boxhill model is, IIRC, to be the 'as-preserved' option, but it might well serve as an 1880s condition loco.  This is interesting in as much as Model Rail's recently announced E1, Honfleur, should represent its early 1880s condition. Provided the manufacturers' respective interpretations of IEG are not too violently different (and I think Dapol's O Gauge version was rather too yellow, and its old OO colour much better), these models would make a very nice pairing.

There are at least 3 options for the Stroudley 1870s coaches, excluding the old OOP metal kits, so both locos could happily be put to work on an 1880s suburban layout. 

The MR Goods Green E1 could no doubt handle the goods traffic on such a layout. 5&9 Models make suitable companion LB&SCR goods stock as white metal kits.

To be frank, I might not have chosen the Boxhill version to purchase, but the announcement of early condition E1s means that Boxhill would now make much more sense (to me, anyway) as a purchase. 

I like it when products come together to support a layout concept in a way accessible to beginners or relative beginners, like me. With these all being tank locomotives, a micro layout would be a possibility.  Would these models and the chance to build a layout on a small scale tempt modellers who might not otherwise consider such an early period to make an 1880s layout?  Frankly that would be Another Country even for me; I've only gone back as far as 1905 so far, and the 1880s has a very different look. It's a thought, anyway

I wish RAILS all the best with this one and will eagerly await developments.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

I was remarkably surprised Dapol or someone did a B4 and the model is very good none the less though a little on the light side. Sure it can and is bettered by other models out there but this is marginal and Dapol feel me with confidence for the terrier.

I,ve had a good think over which to buy as I don,t want to tie up my resources replacing all the older versions which have gradually replaced by Ps and B4s. Then there is the possibility of having one model sound fitted.

Being a Bluebell and South Eastern nut first, I,ve gone for Stepney in BR A1X guise and the SECR in A1 guise. I seriously thought about Bodiam, but have the Hornby one that better representing her as preserved and I found it hard to think of a place/layout were I could put a P, SECR A1 and Bodiam in 1910. I would have to take Sheppy light railway, imagine 751 leaving the line several months later than she did historically, P class 27 arriving earlier than she did and Bodiam loaned by Stephens to replace a Sondes. Things get more complex when I try to throw in my sound fitted EKR 5. All would need to be sound fitted and 2 A1s fitted as such is extra expense.

I can portray these better in a bluebell setting and the SECR one in plain DC to work with other plain DC SECR stock. So the new layout will be Sheffield park cir 80s and not Queen Borough 1910.

We could then add Fenchurch with condenser pipes later

Edited by JSpencer