Rails of Sheffield/Dapol/NRM Announce OO gauge Stroudley A1/A1X

MGR Hooper!

Does anyone know what year 2644 went to wartime black? I was going to buy it but as they're upwards of £100 I find myself wanting to be a little more selective and would rather wait for a more suitable one for 1943/4 if it turns out 2644 went to black before then... I wish there was more date info in the product descriptions.

Edit: wrote the wrong number.

Edited by GreenGiraffe22

• RMweb Premium

I think, with the exception of Boxhill, the ones I want from this first batch will be BR black, early and late emblem. Then it's a case of waiting for more BR black (very much my main focus period), then hope for Martello as preserved in LBSC umber. From then on, it's whatever catches my eye (I do quite like Southern green A1Xs).

Does anyone know what year 2644 went to wartime black? I was going to buy it but as they're upwards of £100 I find myself wanting to be a little more selective and would rather wait for a more suitable one for 1943/4 if it turns out 2644 went to black before then... I wish there was more date info in the product descriptions.

Edit: wrote the wrong number.

Apart from 2636 and 2647 already in black with Maunsell lettering/numerals, repaints were plain black with Bulleid insignia from November 1941 and I'm afraid that 2644 was the first so treated!

Chris KT

Apart from 2636 and 2647 already in black with Maunsell lettering/numerals, repaints were plain black with Bulleid insignia from November 1941 and I'm afraid that 2644 was the first so treated!

Chris KT

I see, might hold off for now then, thanks for the info =)

Edit: I guess none of them are suitable for the first half of the 40s then?

Edited by GreenGiraffe22

I’m afraid I ordered Bodiam because I like locos with blue liveries.

Yes it is lovely, there are a few I find lovely and I love the condenser pipes on this model which never appeared on the old version. And it was/still is in Kent - my main area of interest.

I brought the pretty blue LMR USA tank, its pretty, and has different details to the other pair of late crest green USA tanks - but I never run it, rarely see it. The same thing with me older Hornby Bodiam. 

But I guess one should keep expenditure reasonable. So two terriers will do for a start and hopefully Fenchurch later. But agree Bodiam is so pretty.... I might crack for a 3rd yet!

Edited by JSpencer

• 2 months later...

Are we likely to get any more news about the OO Terrier before Warley, or is that going to be when progress is revealed?

The announcement stated decorated samples available for inspection at Warley, product available end Q4 2018.

So Warley will be the progress report. Project on track if the decorated samples are available, not if not.

• 5 weeks later...

I have pre-ordered Stepney in BR Black, in the hope it can be my Christmas present from my parents. Might that be a little too optimistic? Perhaps for my birthday in February...

The prospect of collecting as many pretty liveries as possible, as I did with Hornby terriers, is a little too expensive to justify. I know its a little selfish to look forward to the next batch of liveries before the current batch has even seen the light of day, but I'd love to see the two Bluebell terriers in their preservation liveries! Dapol's release of Fenchurch in O is promising. Fingers crossed!

I've really enjoyed having my P classes plod quietly around my 'office' whilst I work and study, and the prospect of a quiet, smooth running terrier that can be left to its own devices for an extended running period, is something that I really look forward to!

• 3 weeks later...

Apart from 2636 and 2647 already in black with Maunsell lettering/numerals, repaints were plain black with Bulleid insignia from November 1941 and I'm afraid that 2644 was the first so treated!

Chris KT

The photographs of 2644 in the condition to be represented by the model appear to date from 1937-1939, more than that I could not say.

post-25673-0-85474300-1542699759.jpg

post-25673-0-87255600-1542699822_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-29427000-1542700023_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Seems like there's a few parts of the cab, boiler and tanks there.

It was 10 deep around the Rails stand yesterday, but I managed to find a staff member who kindly

showed me the Terrier components you mention. Basically, it was clear to see that the ' chunkiness '

of the Hornby model has gone, and what I saw looked promising.

If the terrier is as good as the Hattons P, I for one will be very happy.

• Like 1

It was 10 deep around the Rails stand yesterday, but I managed to find a staff member who kindly

showed me the Terrier components you mention. Basically, it was clear to see that the ' chunkiness '

of the Hornby model has gone, and what I saw looked promising.

If the terrier is as good as the Hattons P, I for one will be very happy.

Well atleast I guessed right. Was hoping I knew my Terrier  :jester:

Chris KT

Fortunate for me though!  :locomotive:

This was all I could see, on the Dapol stand. Not much to go on, really:

attachicon.gifP1000985a.jpeg

Actually, I think you can infer quite a bit from this.  It looks as though the tank/boiler unit is a separate component. 

This is interesting because here we have 12 bolts on the tank-side (which would be a fit for the 3 A1Xs announced, but not the 3 A1s, which had 8), but the fact that it is apparently a separate component might suggest that two such units are planned.  The old Dapol/Hornby OO model didn't bother with any bolts. I think there is a slight difference in the position of the dome between A1 and A1X.  Again, two different tank-boiler units would allow for this.  The old Dapol/Hornby model doesn't, but is an A1/A1X hybrid in any case.

Do you recall whether the tanks had fronts? 

If, as I suspect, the tank fronts are to be separate components, that is likely to prove further good news.  The tank fronts over the 6 models announced would require a variety of different treatments (4, I think), so, again, the fact that the tank front is not integral to the component we see in the picture is perhaps significant?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, Ian, that is very helpful.

The first picture, I think, gives the answer.

There is a discernible lip to the curved tank cladding as it wraps over the top of the tank sides, as per prototype, which is very good to see.

Turning to the matter in question, there was no such lip surrounding the tank fronts, so what we are seeing here I interpret as a recess into which a tank front component can be fitted.  I interpret the two vague dark patches as points of attachment for separate tank fronts. EDIT: The alternative is that this represents a recess for the condensing pipe and the lubricator, which would be features of the three chosen A1Xs.

If this interpretation is correct, that facilitates the different treatment of tank fronts that the choice of subjects suggests. Otherwise, it may be that there are simply more tank/boiler components.

Looking at the different versions announced, I'd say we have tanks with condensing pipes attached, tanks where these are removed and there is a flush tank face, tanks where the pipes have been removed but where a recess remains, and tanks fronts with and without lubricators fitted. I think that in combination, overall this selection of prototypes show 4 different tank front configurations.

It may be dangerous to extrapolate from a partial glimpse, but it looks to me like a clever design intended to allow all major in-service variants to be captured. If so, this represents a step beyond the popular 7mm model and would be a world away from the old Dapol/Hornby tooling.

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I don't think this single moulding can really be taken too seriously. If the tank side rivets are eight for A1 and twelve for A1X, then there's something amiss with the moulding on show. An A1X boiler should have the dome further forward than the centre line of the tank water fillers. I'm presuming there are variations which might allow for the combination, not least Waddon, which was a hybrid, though I would have thought the combination there would have been the other way round (for Waddon, I'd presume eight rivets on the tank side as per A1, but a further forward dome as per the A1X boiler).

Damn, I just realised I'm counting rivets... :swoon:

Edit: thinking about it, I wouldn't be surprised if the twelve rivet variant was done by the LB&SC when converting to A1X. Pictures of Island Terriers in A1X form seem to show that they have an A1X boiler/smokebox, but in some other respects are the same as A1s, including the tank rivets.

Edited by Ian J.