Rails of Sheffield/Dapol/NRM Announce OO gauge Stroudley A1/A1X

50 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I think I'm right in saying that all Terriers ran (with names) in IEG - undoubtedly the prettiest of liveries - until they were all repainted umber (losing their names) in the early 20th century. Although possibly you have in mind the odd ones that carried other companies' liveries.

Agreed, I had in mind SECR, KESR when I wrote that.

• Like 2
  • RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I think I'm right in saying that all Terriers ran (with names) in IEG - undoubtedly the prettiest of liveries - until they were all repainted umber (losing their names) in the early 20th century. Although possibly you have in mind the odd ones that carried other companies' liveries.

It is worth bearing in mind that by the time umber became the livery of choice, many Terriers had been sold off to other railways, to contractors, or to scrappers. I think no more than half the original 50 were still on the Brighton's books by then. 

• Informative/Useful 1
1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

It is worth bearing in mind that by the time umber became the livery of choice, many Terriers had been sold off to other railways, to contractors, or to scrappers. I think no more than half the original 50 were still on the Brighton's books by then. 

Full details here: http://www.lbscr.org/Rolling-Stock/Locomotives/Stroudley/A1.xhtml

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

In over 20 years of Dapol/Hornby, new Hornby and now Dapol/rails terrier production there has only been two in umber. Hopefully the current Rails product has proved popular to warrant a further variant if and when a new batch is done given there is 25 prototypes to choose from.

Whereas there have been models produced of at least three other LBSC classes in umber - generally locomotives that did not carry earlier liveries in their condition as modelled. In the fullness of time there will be the Model Rail E1 to keep the A1 company in pre-umber condition. 

• Agree 1

I've just received my NRM Boxhill

I've got a bend in the running plate on one side, noticeable under the front of the side tank. I'm certain there was a post where someone fixed it on their model but having gone back a few pages, I can't see it now. Can anyone point me in the direction of said instructions? 

I can live with it as no loco has dead straight running plates but it would be nice to reduce it slightly. 

IMG_20201113_155825.jpg.541c01bbef45af1aaa7ca8c32f1c76a0.jpg

• Informative/Useful 1
On 13/11/2020 at 16:16, Pre Grouping fan said:

I've just received my NRM Boxhill

I've got a bend in the running plate on one side, noticeable under the front of the side tank. I'm certain there was a post where someone fixed it on their model but having gone back a few pages, I can't see it now. Can anyone point me in the direction of said instructions? 

I can live with it as no loco has dead straight running plates but it would be nice to reduce it slightly. 

IMG_20201113_155825.jpg.541c01bbef45af1aaa7ca8c32f1c76a0.jpg

Why would you want to live with it? I really don’t get it, if I pay £100+ For something I want it right. I think I’d send it back I was considering one of these but not now it feels like a Lucky dip, I think I’ll go for an EFE BWT

Sound fitted Southern Terrier arrived today, all bits in tact, nothing bent, just like my DCC ready one. 

Only thing missing is a Function Key menu chart.

Run off video against my Hornby YouChoos sound fitted Terrier, I know which I prefer.

Edited by Yankee
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
5 hours ago, Yankee said:

Sound fitted Southern Terrier arrived today, all bits in tact, nothing bent, just like my DCC ready one. 

Only thing missing is a Function Key menu chart.

Run off video against my Hornby YouChoos sound fitted Terrier, I know which I prefer.

Lots of potential variables here, e.g. did you fit the Hornby yourself? which speaker was used? where did you place it? The bass chuff is noticeably weaker in the Hornby which surprised me given the tiny installed speaker in the Dapol / Rails model and its restricted location. 

I've fitted Youchoos sound into very small locos and got far better results than this video so remain sceptical it's a fair comparison.

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, BWsTrains said:

Lots of potential variables here, e.g. did you fit the Hornby yourself? which speaker was used? where did you place it? The bass chuff is noticeably weaker in the Hornby which surprised me given the tiny installed speaker in the Dapol / Rails model and its restricted location. 

I've fitted Youchoos sound into very small locos and got far better results than this video so remain sceptical it's a fair comparison.

I have to say that having watched other videos of the Youchoos Terrier I was underwhelmed by the chuff. The sync to the motion isn’t great either, you only seem to get two chuffs a rotation. 

The Rails version does sound good. 

Roy

1 hour ago, Roy Langridge said:

Lots of potential variables here, e.g. did you fit the Hornby yourself? which speaker was used? where did you place it?

The Hornby was my first try at installing sound in any loco and was done as per the install guide on the YouChoos web site using a MX648 and Minnow4 speaker.

Here are the pictures I took at the time, June 2019. I have only just recently procured a programmable Control system (Digitrax), previous to that it was only a Bachmann EzCommand, so will now be on a learning curve for CV adjustments.

IMG_6340.jpeg

IMG_6324.jpeg

1 hour ago, Roy Langridge said:

I have to say that having watched other videos of the Youchoos Terrier I was underwhelmed by the chuff. The sync to the motion isn’t great either, you only seem to get two chuffs a rotation. 

The Rails version does sound good. 

Roy

Agree, now I've looked at the YouChoos Youtube channel for the Terrier.

The original at the Bluebell Railway has hardly what you'd call a deep chuff but would appear Rails have the better offering for Sound. Previously I'd been impressed by the Dapol "O" gauge equivalent.

Chuff is easy, nearly always needs adjustment. The Youchoos guide has clear steps on this

• RMweb Gold

If you have a Digitrax system, I earnestly recommend changing sound CVs on the main line, using Po mode. This is wonderful for attenuating sounds, as you can hear the sound change, and instantly recognise whether it is better or worse! It works just as well for non-sound CVs, of course, but the response isn't as obvious.

People worry about Programming On The Main, convinced every other locomotive on the layout will be forever modified. If you have Po showing on your display, then only the loco number shown will ever be affected. 

Many DCC systems other than Digitrax offer this facility, of course, but I do not know how it is set up. 

• Like 1

I am a non DCC user at the moment having only one early DDC fitted Hornby King Arthur, a DCC sound fitted J36 and the first DCC sound van put by for possible future development.

The Rails Terrier definitely has the bark, the YouChoos one has more of a wheeze. Is it possible to deepen the sound on the YouChoos chip to match the bark ?

All the best

Ray

I haven't got the rails DCC sound terrier, as it unfortunately sold out before I got round to making a purchase, so can't make a comparison to that one myself. However a friend of mine kindly fitted a Locoman Sounds Terrier chip alongside a Sugar Cube speaker in the cab of a Hornby Terrier, which sounds rather good (video from the supplier, not my loco below). I'm also planning to fit this to my Rails one when I get round to it. 

Note: no connection other than being a happy customer. 

Edited by LBSC123
  • Like 3
8 hours ago, LBSC123 said:

However a friend of mine kindly fitted a Locoman Sounds Terrier chip alongside a Sugar Cube speaker in the cab of a Hornby Terrier, which sounds rather good

Exactly the trade off.

The tiny amount of space in the Hornby terrier boiler, even after stripping away the 6 pin socket + it's support leaves very little room for the DCC Chip and Speaker. Then on the other hand the beauty of these models is destroyed by placing both chip / speaker in the cab.

Is there an option to have the speaker in the bunker? Maybe with the terriers sporting the larger bunker anyway.

Recognising this is straying OT, it still puzzles me that the tiny speaker and it's location in the Rails/Dapol OO model can deliver satisfying sound. This latest video with a cab based speaker delivering excellent sound suggests the answer is "CLEARLY NOT"