Jump to content

Rails of Sheffield/Dapol/NRM Announce OO gauge Stroudley A1/A1X


MGR Hooper!
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

They would have to cover the cost. 

From Germany? And would they pay any import duties and VAT? And if they repair it or send a new one (if they still have one), would they also cover the shipping and import duties and VAT due at my end?

 

Somehow, I think not.

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

Probably not. For one thing, replacements are getting thin on the ground. For another thing, I live in Germany, and sending goods worth £240 back & forth will be costly in terms of shipping and would attract the attention of HM Customs & Excise out and Deutsche Zoll back, both of whom might well demand import duties and VAT, all because the UK has left the EU Customs Union & Single Market.

 

You really are having an unlucky streak with new locos, aren't you!

 

... what with the Kernow D600, and now this ....... !

 

John Isherwood.

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

From Germany? And would they pay any import duties and VAT? And if they repair it or send a new one (if they still have one), would they also cover the shipping and import duties and VAT due at my end?

 

Somehow, I think not.

If it’s a faulty product then yes they would have to. 

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

From Germany? And would they pay any import duties and VAT? And if they repair it or send a new one (if they still have one), would they also cover the shipping and import duties and VAT due at my end?

 

Somehow, I think not.

 

As long as the paperwork is filled in correctly there will be no need to pay import duties or VAT for sending the Loco back to the UK, or when they return it after repair.

You can send items back for repair or replacement and have them returned without the charges.

They just need to be clearly marked as being returned for repair, or being returned from repair,  and covered by a proforma invoice saying that with a very small value just to keep the systems happy (they often won't let you put a value of 0).

We do it at work no problems, to and from the EU and the US.

Rails should be able to do all the paperwork for you and send you a label, all you might have to do is phone the local  depot of the courier they are using and book a time for them to collect the parcel.

 

Anywhere that sells internationally should be able to handle international returns.

 

Jim

 

 

Edited by JimHearne
  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It's been a long time since I had a play with Rails Terrier, and while it may be "pedigree" to look at it's performance by comparison to Hornby is pedigree chum ....unless mine is just a dud, but Hornby's takes off like a rocket and stays on the track...  Rails... Does not. My Hattons Ps suffer in the same way, sluggish, growly and prone to derailing. Weird considering the Terrier and B4 are both Dapol products but my B4 performance is perfection.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

It's been a long time since I had a play with Rails Terrier, and while it may be "pedigree" to look at it's performance by comparison to Hornby is pedigree chum ....unless mine is just a dud, but Hornby's takes off like a rocket and stays on the track...  Rails... Does not. My Hattons Ps suffer in the same way, sluggish, growly and prone to derailing. Weird considering the Terrier and B4 are both Dapol products but my B4 performance is perfection.

 

 

I have got around six of the new Hornby Terriers and one of the Rails ones, but have not had a chance to give them a thorough test yet.

Your rail joints (set track ?) are a bit gappy and the outer rail that it derails on does not look that well aligned.

It stalls at two places. Have you had a look at the pickups, they might need tweaking to keep them evenly in contact with the back of the wheels at all times without putting on excess pressure and drag.

We cannot see what it does on the rest of the layout, does it derail anywhere else ? The Hornby one seems to sail through o.k.

This could be a back to back problem, but I think that the rail joint wants checking first to see if it can be tightened up and straightened out then test again.

All the best

Ray

Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, wainwright1 said:

I have got around six of the new Hornby Terriers and one of the Rails ones, but have not had a chance to give them a thorough test yet.

Your rail joints (set track ?) are a bit gappy and the outer rail that it derails on does not look that well aligned.

It stalls at two places. Have you had a look at the pickups, they might need tweaking to keep them evenly in contact with the back of the wheels at all times without putting on excess pressure and drag.

We cannot see what it does on the rest of the layout, does it derail anywhere else ? The Hornby one seems to sail through o.k.

This could be a back to back problem, but I think that the rail joint wants checking first to see if it can be tightened up and straightened out then test again.

All the best

Ray

 

There's a few tight places it derails where other stock does not, I know my layout is far from perfect, the track is ancient so it is a good test of new loco performance, as we can see the Hornby Terrier has no problems whatsoever, other impressive locos include my H2, B4, 700 and USA Tank that will all sail through any track given to them, at the other end of the spectrum we have my T9, P classes and the Rails Terrier which are all extremely sensitive to imperfections. It really does vary. My E4 derails quite a lot running forwards but in reverse the cab wheels seem to guide it round quite well.

 

Realllllly hoping the D Classes will perform well.

 

I will build something better one day when I have space to do so, for now I gotta make do with the ancient roundy at my parents. 

Edited by GreenGiraffe22
  • Friendly/supportive 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

 

There's a few tight places it derails where other stock does not, I know my layout is far from perfect, the track is ancient so it is a good test of new loco performance, as we can see the Hornby Terrier has no problems whatsoever, other impressive locos include my H2, B4, 700 and USA Tank that will all sail through any track given to them, at the other end of the spectrum we have my T9, P classes and the Rails Terrier which are all extremely sensitive to imperfections. It really does vary. My E4 derails quite a lot running forwards but in reverse the cab wheels seem to guide it round quite well.

 

Realllllly hoping the D Classes will perform well.

 

I will build something better one day when I have space to do so, for now I gotta make do with the ancient roundy at my parents. 

 

The Dapol/Rails terrier has less side play on the wheels compared with Hornby's but I have no issues with either type (I have 3 of each) on my layout. To be honest none of the classes mentioned above cause me any issues on my layout (whose track work, I don't consider brialliant). The only locos from my fleet of hundreds are the DJM class 71 (comes off all over the place) and the DJM austerity (one spot only).

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

 

There's a few tight places it derails where other stock does not, I know my layout is far from perfect, the track is ancient so it is a good test of new loco performance, as we can see the Hornby Terrier has no problems whatsoever, other impressive locos include my H2, B4, 700 and USA Tank that will all sail through any track given to them, at the other end of the spectrum we have my T9, P classes and the Rails Terrier which are all extremely sensitive to imperfections. It really does vary. My E4 derails quite a lot running forwards but in reverse the cab wheels seem to guide it round quite well.

 

Realllllly hoping the D Classes will perform well.

 

I will build something better one day when I have space to do so, for now I gotta make do with the ancient roundy at my parents. 

 

 

To make an analogy, it does sound as if you are complaining because your Ferrari is bottoming out on a rough farm track.

  • Like 2
  • Funny 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...