Dapol 121 and 122 dmus in O gauge

Hal Nail

Lets hope that Dapol remember the 'central locking plates' over the footsteps

post-6951-0-80550600-1529219186.jpg

one I did a couple of years back, a Bachmann/San Cheng O Gauge model.- reading the Spec on the DCC Supplies website, they are not mentioned.

regards

Mike

edited to amend description to 'central locking plates'

Edited by Ressaldar
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

The Dapol model doesn’t appear to include anti ride steps, saw the model at GCR yesterday. I can’t see any prototype images of them on the 121 or 122’s on a quick web search either.

If I’m into modelling north of Doncaster can I justify one of these. I did see a pic of a departmental one at York but can anyone confirm they did work in this area.

You can justify the Dapol Class 122 if you want the Loadhaul livery one as this worked all over before being preserved at the Weardale Railway in BR Green.

The Loadhaul one went all around Yorkshire and North East being based at Thornaby before being stored there

• RMweb Premium

Hi PMP,

search 121034 on Flickr and this is one of the images

regards

Mike

Every days a school day, was that a recent modification for Chiltern units?

The Dapol model doesn’t appear to include anti ride steps, saw the model at GCR yesterday. I can’t see any prototype images of them on the 121 or 122’s on a quick web search either.

The plates on the base of the doors (I assume that is what is being referred to) are nothing to do with 'anti-riding'. They are the plates which form part of the electro-magnetic central locking mechanism. On the limited edition OO gauge model of the Chiltern car, they are separate etched parts, pre-painted and with double-sided self-adhesive pads to attach them to the car. They were only fitted to the two Chiltern cars (W55020/34), as part of the modermisation which allowed them to run until last year. Only 55034 can be modelled in Chiltern condition as 55020 received alterations which would require changes to the tooling. (CJL)

Edited by dibber25
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

The plates on the base of the doors (I assume that is what is being referred to) are nothing to do with 'anti-riding'. They are the plates which form part of the electro-magnetic central locking mechanism. On the limited edition OO gauge model of the Chiltern car, they are separate etched parts, pre-painted and with double-sided self-adhesive pads to attach them to the car. They were only fitted to the two Chiltern cars (W55020/34), as part of the modermisation which allowed them to run until last year. Only 55034 can be modelled in Chiltern condition as 55020 received alterations which would require changes to the tooling. (CJL)

Really interesting. Thanks. They somewhat ruin the asthetics of this vehicle though. A purely functional modification.

Really interesting. Thanks. They somewhat ruin the asthetics of this vehicle though. A purely functional modification.

Yes, they look like what they are, an afterthought. Happily they've only been applied to the two ex-Chiltern cars but several of the other preserved 121s and 122s have suffered more substantial modifications to fit them as Sandite vehicles etc. Was looking at one recently under restoration at Rushden. The 'easy' end is being nicely restored but it's difficult to tell what they are going to do with the other end, where doors and windows have been plated over. (CJL)

Edited by dibber25

• 2 months later...

Sorry didn’t get any pictures but the Class 122 will be here before the Class 121.

Class 122 - End Year/Beginning Next Year

Class 121 - A few months later.

If you are interested in the Loadhaul 122 then let Dapol know as this is a possibility in future along with Network Rail Class 121 with cameras (non functioning)

Sorry didn’t get any pictures but the Class 122 will be here before the Class 121.

Class 122 - End Year/Beginning Next Year

Class 121 - A few months later.

If you are interested in the Loadhaul 122 then let Dapol know as this is a possibility in future along with Network Rail Class 121 with cameras (non functioning)

when I asked regarding 'Sandite' versions, the answer was in the affirmative, louvres et al.

regards

Mike

• RMweb Gold

As one who couldn't get there this time, I enjoyed reading your report. Thanks for posting the link. :good:

Great blog Rich - very informative for those of us that couldn’t make the show.

Thanks for the comments guys - not intended to be a in-depth be all and end all, but I've had a number of positive comments from people who enjoyed it and like you two, couldn't make the show itself.  The full layout pics are now up if you've not seen them, but coming back to topic, the bubble cars looked very nice.  Way out of any region or timescale for me, but the GWR 150 brown and cream looked stunning!

Rich

Managed to get a couple of not so great phone photos at Telford, showing both 121 and 122. Second one gives a glimpse of the interior though, which gives an idea of how it looks. (nb conveniently lit by the Dapol display lighting, not "onboard" lighting!)

attachicon.gifIMG_20180902_112412.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20180902_112318.jpg

These do look excellent, even better than the 00 gauge version, with regard to the much better interior arrangement. Have Dapol suggested any further developments with these( ie Class 116/117/118 DMU’s?) ...and could this be why the Heljan proposals seem to have disappeared off the radar?

These do look excellent, even better than the 00 gauge version, with regard to the much better interior arrangement. Have Dapol suggested any further developments with these( ie Class 116/117/118 DMU’s?) ...and could this be why the Heljan proposals seem to have disappeared off the radar?

Can't help there I'm afraid, I didn't see anything to suggest Dapol will expand into the other classes, nor did I see any on the Heljan stand (I wasn't paying a lot of attention though admittedly).

• RMweb Gold

Bit off topic for this thread but the DMUs that have been updated for the Swanage Railway to run its Wareham service in 2019, have the same electro-magnetic central locking system. May be of use to someone!

Rich

• 2 weeks later...

Bit off topic for this thread but the DMUs that have been updated for the Swanage Railway to run its Wareham service in 2019, have the same electro-magnetic central locking system. May be of use to someone!

Rich

Yes. Anything that runs on the mainline network, that has slam doors, will have these plates fitted. It is a requirement that central locking is fitted. (CJL)