Dapol 121 and 122 dmus in O gauge

Hal Nail

• RMweb Premium
On 25/11/2019 at 08:55, Fastdax said:

Yesterday at Warley I enquired on the Dapol stand about the availability of the Class 121/122 and 117 DMUs.

They told me that there had been a problem with the initial prototypes from the factory and that all of those DMUs had gone back into redesign and re-tooling. They will be all the better for it, they said.

They are now not expected until at least the middle of 2020.

This was before covid 

On 17/05/2020 at 18:41, vimpto said:

I've given up on the Dapol bubble unit and ordered an easybuild one instead.

And very good it looks.:wub:

received_593907354587626.jpeg

received_272340484175726.jpeg

Edited by vimpto
Extra picture
  • Like 8
  • Agree 1

On 25/11/2019 at 08:55, Fastdax said:....................Yesterday at Warley I enquired on the Dapol stand about the availability of the Class 121/122 and 117 DMUs.

They told me that there had been a problem with the initial prototypes from the factory and that all of those DMUs had gone back into redesign and re-tooling. They will be all the better for it, they said.

They are now not expected until at least the middle of 2020.

This what i was trying to find out, and i did ask a few times. So fair enough I can wait untill they sort the problem out and start making these.

• 5 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Fastdax said:

What's the difference between 121 and 122?

The 122 were built first in 1958 and there are differences in the headcode sizes, which affects the exhaust pipe position.

The 121 has metal framed windows and the 122 just a rubber seal. I remember replacing all on 55000 on the SDR some years ago.

Dapol originally said the 122 would be released first.

Alan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Keith J said:

Good news but shame it's just the Class 122. I understand that the Class 121, which I have on pre order, is going to be a month or two behind this.

I am glad its the 122, i have a couple on order and its been a long wait!

Alan

• 2 months later...
On 28/07/2020 at 19:01, Bartb said:

Good  News..... Going by TOWER MODELS  web site the Class 122 will be here in September.  Lets hope the wait has been worth it

Hattons now quoting November for the 122 and December for a 121.

• Hal Nail changed the title to Dapol 121 and 122 dmus in O gauge
  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, meatloaf said:

Price difference in normal dcc ready and sound versions seems a bit steep at approx £170. Are they not 21 pin decoders?

I was told by a friend who models O gauge, that the price difference for sound on O gauge, is because the chip needs a higher voltage draw, therefore a different chip to say a smaller OO gauge version.  It’s like trying to use a chip for a N gauge loco in a OO scale Loco.

I have no reason not to believe him but, he could have been mistaken.

Edited by jools1959

6 hours ago, jools1959 said:

I was told by a friend who models O gauge, that the price difference for sound on O gauge, is because the chip needs a higher voltage draw, therefore a different chip to say a smaller OO gauge version.  It’s like trying to use a chip for a N gauge loco in a OO scale Loco.

I have no reason not to believe him but, he could have been mistaken.

true for 'big' 7mm locos, not true for others, e.g. the Class 08. I asked Hattons about the decoder and they confirmed that this model takes 21-pin type that is used for 4mm.

170 quid to fit does seem a bit steep given the price of 4mm decoders but you are also paying for someone's time and VAT on top.  

• Like 1

The price differential for DCC sound fitment is at the RRP level so discounted it will be a bit less.  I think I read somewhere that there is to be space for two speakers so maybe that accounts for some extra cost but don't forget the DCC fitment is carried out in the UK and our labour costs are higher in the UK - just look at how much your local car dealership charges!

Norman

Reputable UK dealers charge around £130 for 00 sound fitting and that's for 'one off' jobs. As people often fit decoders  designed for 4mm scale into 7mm scale models, I doubt higher voltage draw is an issue in most cases. So yes this does look a bit pricey. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've just had a look at Hattons O Gauge listing for this DMU and it states that they are sold out on Pre Order for the DCC Sound version. Whatever that means, I presume Dapol have produced a limited number of DCC Sound versions and orders have reached their maximum. Tower Models are still indicating models being available in January 2021, which of course has now past. It would be really nice to know from Dapol what the current situation is. Are the delays due to manufacturing problems or Covid-19 restrictions or both. I think my order is now nearly 3 years old.

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Compbck said:

Tower Models are still indicating models being available in January 2021, which of course has now past. It would be really nice to know from Dapol what the current situation is. 

This is on Towers home page.

Dapol Class 122 DMU update

Latest news from Dapol in regard to the long awaited Class 122 is that they have now been completed and are ready for despatch. Dapol hope to arrange shipping from China before the beginning of Chinese New Year on the 12th of February. So long as they can get them off before Chinese New Year they should become available around the end of March if everything goes to plan.