Dapol 121 and 122 dmus in O gauge

Hal Nail

2 hours ago, Compbck said:

I've just had a look at Hattons O Gauge listing for this DMU and it states that they are sold out on Pre Order for the DCC Sound version. Whatever that means, I presume Dapol have produced a limited number of DCC Sound versions and orders have reached their maximum. Tower Models are still indicating models being available in January 2021, which of course has now past. It would be really nice to know from Dapol what the current situation is. Are the delays due to manufacturing problems or Covid-19 restrictions or both. I think my order is now nearly 3 years old.

I read somewhere that Dapol are only producing 200 of each version!

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/02/2021 at 19:33, Hal Nail said:

Tower state 200 of each livery. 

They produce the number they know with certainty they can sell, if that means you have to per order or miss out then it’s tough luck you have to pre order. I don’t agree with the principle, but then again when was the last time manufactures listen to consumers ? They have a track record of high sales (defined by selling out) models, but then making consumers wait years for a rerun, the minerals which have since been announced and the 20t brake vans no announcement yet on a rerun.

I think the 66s will be a limited run of each model as well, remember Dapol are essentially a family run operation with staff taking up multiple roles across the company they can’t afford to have stock sitting round unsold - it’s bad enough models coming back to retailers with QC issues they have to then dispose of at cost or close to.

4 hours ago, Courtybella said:

They produce the number they know with certainty they can sell, if that means you have to per order or miss out then it’s tough luck you have to pre order. I don’t agree with the principle, but then again when was the last time manufactures listen to consumers ? They have a track record of high sales (defined by selling out) models, but then making consumers wait years for a rerun, the minerals which have since been announced and the 20t brake vans no announcement yet on a rerun.

I think the 66s will be a limited run of each model as well, remember Dapol are essentially a family run operation with staff taking up multiple roles across the company they can’t afford to have stock sitting round unsold - it’s bad enough models coming back to retailers with QC issues they have to then dispose of at cost or close to.

We should be thankful to Dapol for models which are at a price point and RTR that opens up O gauge to many more people .Without that I wouldn't have started . Wagons are definitely an interesting one as looking online 16T minerals , early BR box vans are nowhere to be found and crying out for a new run . Selling out is no bad thing for the seller as it builds demand for the next batch 

• Agree 1

I completely agree that we ought to give thanks to Dapol for opening up 0 gauge to more people.  I too only started when I realized that I could actually afford 0 gauge locos.

I have a few Dapol RTR wagons but most of my wagons are kits.

John

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, brossard said:

I completely agree that we ought to give thanks to Dapol for opening up 0 gauge to more people.  I too only started when I realized that I could actually afford 0 gauge locos.

I have a few Dapol RTR wagons but most of my wagons are kits.

John

When you think a Pannier is at a price point not a million miles from the 00 gauge version and you get something that looks and feels so much closer to the real thing 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

I bought a Masterpiece 14xx as a once in a lifetime luxury a while back. I actually think my Dapol one captures it better - bar a few easily added details such as the electrical cabling - and I could have 5 sound fitted ones for the same money.

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, muddys-blues said:

I have dug out my Easybuild Bubble kits, I am getting on with them instead .... I know people may be laughing at me, and it will probably not hold a candle against a RTR model, but I am going for some job satisfaction :good:

Having been underwhelmed by the sample I saw on Dapol's stand at the Kettering O scale Show last March, I'd say your Easybuilds have a good chance of looking much better, in fact. 

16 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

Having been underwhelmed by the sample I saw on Dapol's stand at the Kettering O scale Show last March, I'd say your Easybuilds have a good chance of looking much better, in fact. 

Hi, out of interest what was it about the sample that left you underwhelmed? I have one on order but I am not afraid of either building a kit or going for a Heljan one if the Dapol one is not up to the mark. Thanks.

11 minutes ago, 37114 said:

Hi, out of interest what was it about the sample that left you underwhelmed? I have one on order but I am not afraid of either building a kit or going for a Heljan one if the Dapol one is not up to the mark. Thanks.

Mainly the glazing - an awful 'prismatic' effect that emphasises how thick the glazing is - also evident on their Mk1 coaches, by the way.

The gap between bogies and underframe reminded me of the old 1980s Lima DMUs. This may just be the way things are with certain models, as they don't (obviously) replicate the real thing in this area, but the 'daylight' looked excessive.

Something about the cab ends, looking a bit 'flat'. This is subjective, could just be me, having not seen a real Bug in many years - they probably were that flat in real life, but it just didn't quite look right to me. YMMV.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, F-UnitMad said:

Mainly the glazing - an awful 'prismatic' effect that emphasises how thick the glazing is - also evident on their Mk1 coaches, by the way.

The gap between bogies and underframe reminded me of the old 1980s Lima DMUs. This may just be the way things are with certain models, as they don't (obviously) replicate the real thing in this area, but the 'daylight' looked excessive.

Something about the cab ends, looking a bit 'flat'. This is subjective, could just be me, having not seen a real Bug in many years - they probably were that flat in real life, but it just didn't quite look right to me. YMMV.

Thanks, I will have a closer look at the pre production photos, the gap I can probably sort but the other 2 bits maybe more challenging 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, F-UnitMad said:

Prismatic glazing is something that a lot of models suffer from - the new Heljan GWR railcar is the same. Would be a great step forward generally if they can find cost effective way to improve that.

Just out of interest though, how is the kit usually done? if not flush, or requiring you to cut out panes, you arent any better off than improving the Dapol?

I'm not totally convinced by the kit given it has the wrong body profile so for me Dapol is still better but its a shame we probably wont have the chance to compare all three including Heljan before choosing.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, Grathwaite said:

Any update forecast on delivery?? 

According to Tower - which is the easiest place i know to look up info - they were made but weren't sent before Chinese new year so probably depends how quickly things get back up and running.

Edit: quite quickly then - see below!

Edited by Hal Nail

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 29/03/2021 at 13:24, Captain Cuttle said:

I wonder if they are on the Ever Given?

Alan

a post on an o gauge facebook group suggests they are on the Ever Given which is being held until recovery costs from its contretemps in the canal are met 

9 hours ago, sidmouth said:

a post on an o gauge facebook group suggests they are on the Ever Given which is being held until recovery costs from its contretemps in the canal are met 

These things happen, would have to be on that ship! I wonder how long that will take plus was there any damage to the stern/bow  i wonder?