Dapol 121 and 122 dmus in O gauge

Hal Nail

2 hours ago, Captain Cuttle said:

These things happen, would have to be on that ship! I wonder how long that will take plus was there any damage to the stern/bow  i wonder?

The insurance wrangling will probably delay things, they have declared General Average which is a quirky maritime insurance law that shares the burden of cost on the cargo owners.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Oh dear, that might be a long delay.

They reportedly want $900mn for that bloke with a digger who rolled up to dig it out.

i’d imagine the insurers of the 20k containers and shipping parties will take a little while to huddle, come to consensus and cough up... Egyptians for their part, might not care how long that ship floats about, given this empty ship was stopped 4 years ago, for expired paperwork..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-56606749

Edited by adb968008

1 hour ago, Captain Cuttle said:

I was reading that on previous occasions with other similar shipping incidents its a minimum of two months.

Thanks for the detail.

I would reckon longer than two months. I wonder where this issue of general average leaves Dapol.

Paul R

• RMweb Premium

I would have thought a fair number of people will be as happy with the 121 as the 122 so will just switch to that. 

So from Dapol's perspective, possibly not worth doing anything that drastic and the 122, when eventually released, can just mop up the demand not sated by the 121. 

Edited by Hal Nail

4 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

I would have thought a fair number of people will be as happy with the 121 as the 122 so will just switch to that. 

So from Dapol's perspective, possibly not worth doing anything that drastic and the 122, when eventually released, can just mop up the demand not sated by the 121. 

Possibly but the 121 was geographically more restricted - at least for the first 20 years. I will just have to grin and bear it. Heljan must be rubbing their hands!

Paul R

• 3 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Bartb said:

Going by TOWER MODELS the Class 121 should be here in June. As for the 122's ???

Fingers crossed for June. I would be surprised if we see the 122 before September...

10 hours ago, 37114 said:

Fingers crossed for June. I would be surprised if we see the 122 before September...

I’ve decided to place an order the BR Blue / Grey unit, however Hattons say their sold out on pre order with the sound model, so Rails have it hopefully ! 

• Agree 1

On 02/05/2021 at 08:55, 37114 said:

Not sure as on Radio 4 lunchtime sounds like its going to be a long drawnout process, i only caught the end of it but not much we can do!

58 minutes ago, Captain Cuttle said:

Not sure as on Radio 4 lunchtime sounds like its going to be a long drawnout process, i only caught the end of it but not much we can do!

Yep, basically the ship owner was going to court to get the ship released but failed so will be a bit longer now.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, sidmouth said:

the interesting point is how was the Dapol container insured and is it fully covered or is there liability for Dapol 

Whilst of interest to us, it is something that I doubt we will ever find out, nor something that we reasonably need to know.

Of more interest is whether the items, particularly the 122's will undergo a more extensive testing process when they get to the UK, after all they will have been sat for a significant period of time in potentially very hot conditions. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Kris said:

Whilst of interest to us, it is something that I doubt we will ever find out, nor something that we reasonably need to know.

Of more interest is whether the items, particularly the 122's will undergo a more extensive testing process when they get to the UK, after all they will have been sat for a significant period of time in potentially very hot conditions. 

I would expect some sort of inspection and testing, it is not so much the heat, more the increased risk of condensation in the containers which will impact the stock inside.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, 37114 said:

I would expect some sort of inspection and testing, it is not so much the heat, more the increased risk of condensation in the containers which will impact the stock inside.

How practicable is it to unbox even 500 models, test them then rebox without significant impact on other activities?

Obviously the sound batch go through that process but I’d assume they’d be in the minority of the consignment?

Maybe easier to visually inspect the boxes prior to despatch to shops, then deal with any issues on a returns basis ? 

41 minutes ago, Courtybella said:

How practicable is it to unbox even 500 models, test them then rebox without significant impact on other activities?

Obviously the sound batch go through that process but I’d assume they’d be in the minority of the consignment?

Maybe easier to visually inspect the boxes prior to despatch to shops, then deal with any issues on a returns basis ? 

Normally you would pick 20 at random and see how they are, if OK then chances are the rest are ok. If 10 of them are good, 10 have issues then you need to check the rest. The further an item goes down the supply chain, the more it costs to deal with the fallout of any issues so I doubt Dapol would want the consumer to do their QC work for them.

Worst case scenario the whole container will have to be binned!

Dapol's quality control on a number of recent items has been poor but in my opinion the dealer should inspect before they ship but in my experience they don't

Paul R