Dapol 121 and 122 dmus in O gauge

Hal Nail

THE NEVER ENDING STORY................................

It would be good if Dapol was to explain why they have had so many problems getting these out. I just hope after all these delays they are worth the wait.

• Agree 2

48 minutes ago, Bartb said:

THE NEVER ENDING STORY................................

It would be good if Dapol was to explain why they have had so many problems getting these out. I just hope after all these delays they are worth the wait.

Conjecture but it could be that they are gambling on the shipping costs coming down, $18k per 40' at the moment still.....

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Bartb said:

Tower Models have received their Class 122's today, so will be going out on back orders first. Thats me :D

Only the analogue versions!

Rails have also advised receipt which is where mine are coming from!!!

Paul R

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I have taken delivery of a pair of 122s and, as I expected, they look superb.  There are some lovely details (including some super etched grilles on the underframe) and the overall shape appears to capture the prototype perfectly.  The simple paint finish is very nicely applied, with the tone of the rail blue being spot on.  The interior is a work of art (with the blue seat moquette and the metal seat frame captured beautifully - plenty of space for model suitcases between the seats!). The detail pack includes a sold panel depicting the plated-over 2-character headcode box, together with decals for the head codes themselves and a selection of destination labels (some of which are spelt incorrectly I note (unless St. Earth really is a place?!).  

Tardy ordering of sound decoders has meant that I have yet to test the mechanism, although I note that it is a simple motor worm gear to driving axle transmission, and will, I suspect, need carefully handling if it is not to race off unprototypically.  Incidentally, although there are two motors (one in each bogie - all axles are powered), the model takes a OO-gauge 21-pin decoder - so no need to fork out for one of the more powerful decoders.  

Anyway, I think it is another winner from Dapol and represents real value for money at the price.  What do you think?

PM

IMG_3508.jpeg

IMG_3512.jpeg

IMG_3515.jpeg

IMG_3516.jpeg

Edited by uk_pm
  • Like 12
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, uk_pm said:

I have taken delivery of a pair of 122s and, as I expected, they look superb.  There are some lovely details (including some super etched grilles on the underframe) and the overall shape appears to capture the prototype perfectly.  The simple paint finish is very nicely applied, with the tone of the rail blue being spot on.  The interior is a work of art (with the blue seat moquette and the metal seat frame captured beautifully - plenty of space for model suitcases between the seats!). The detail pack includes a sold panel depicting the plated-over 2-character headcode box, together with decals for the head codes themselves and a selection destination labels (some of which are spelt incorrectly I note (unless St. Earth really is a place?!).  

Tardy ordering of sound decoders has meant that I have yet to test the mechanism, although I note that it is a simple motor worm gear to driving axle transmission, and will, I suspect, need carefully handling if it is not to race off unprototypically.  Incidentally, although there are two motors (one in each bogie - all axles are powered), the model takes a OO-gauge 21-pin decoder - so no need to fork out for one of the more powerful decoders.  

Anyway, I think it is another winner from Dapol and represents real value for money at the price.  What do you think?

PM

IMG_3508.jpeg

IMG_3512.jpeg

IMG_3515.jpeg

IMG_3516.jpeg

Looks great. Are the headcode digits stickers or does the cover come off to out them under the plastic cover. The blanks interest me as id probably want to have them plated over.

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, meatloaf said:

Looks great. Are the headcode digits stickers or does the cover come off to out them under the plastic cover. The blanks interest me as id probably want to have them plated over.

The headcodes are blank on the model as supplied, but there is a full set of transfers in the box. You can easily pop out the headcode plate with a little gentle pressure from behind, then the blank plate pops in in its place. 

• Informative/Useful 2

7 hours ago, uk_pm said:

I have taken delivery of a pair of 122s and, as I expected, they look superb.  There are some lovely details (including some super etched grilles on the underframe) and the overall shape appears to capture the prototype perfectly.  The simple paint finish is very nicely applied, with the tone of the rail blue being spot on.  The interior is a work of art (with the blue seat moquette and the metal seat frame captured beautifully - plenty of space for model suitcases between the seats!). The detail pack includes a sold panel depicting the plated-over 2-character headcode box, together with decals for the head codes themselves and a selection destination labels (some of which are spelt incorrectly I note (unless St. Earth really is a place?!).  

PM

IMG_3508.jpeg

IMG_3512.jpeg

IMG_3515.jpeg

IMG_3516.jpeg

It looks excellent, I thought the first photo was a real one at first, do you have a layout thread?

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 37114 said:

It looks excellent, I thought the first photo was a real one at first, do you have a layout thread?

It is certainly an excellent model.  I'm afraid I don't have a layout thread, at least not for O gauge,  My OO gauge model of Doncaster station does feature on here and on YouTube (doncasteroo).  My O gauge layout is, sadly, barely more than a plank for displaying my stock.  I'm still working out how to fulfil my aspiration for O gauge mainline running (with scale length trains) without relocating and renting some serious commercial space!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Baggies1961 said:

A green one arrived this morning, just a couple of door windows and a seating unit to push home fully. Looks the dogs nuts!!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Excellent printing of the cream lining.  I look forward to my Blue/Grey one making an appearance.

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, Captain Cuttle said:

Having worked on the real thing on the SDR, the vertical handrail is way over scale and too tall. It goes to just past the top of the window.

Nice looking model though await my sound equipped one.

I’ll grant you the vertical handrail is way over scale, but they did go all the way to the gutters originally - I believe they were hollow and thus acted as downpipes?  I’m guessing there were issues with them becoming blocked, so they were probably shortened/plugged, as and when they paid a visit to the works.

https://rcts.zenfolio.com/diesel/br/dmu-1xx/122/hF463C9A6#hf463c9a6

Looking forward to my sound fitted one too! :)

Edit:  I see on the rail blue version a few posts back, the handrail has been shortened - nice one Dapol!

Regards

Dan

Edited by Dan Randall
  • Agree 2