Dapol 121 and 122 dmus in O gauge

Hal Nail

20 hours ago, Dan Randall said:

I’ll grant you the vertical handrail is way over scale, but they did go all the way to the gutters originally - I believe they were hollow and thus acted as downpipes?  I’m guessing there were issues with them becoming blocked, so they were probably shortened/plugged, as and when they paid a visit to the works.

https://rcts.zenfolio.com/diesel/br/dmu-1xx/122/hF463C9A6#hf463c9a6

Looking forward to my sound fitted one too! :)

Edit:  I see on the rail blue version a few posts back, the handrail has been shortened - nice one Dapol!

Regards

Dan

The handrails on 55000 were solid brass.

7 minutes ago, Captain Cuttle said:

The handrails on 55000 were solid brass.

As you said they were probably plugged when shortened. We cut slots in the cantrail guttering along both sides to help water to drain away as they were always getting blocked.

Luckily the rot was minimal in this area of the body mainly confined to the bottom of the sides again not helped by blocked drains from the windows. Plus leaky window rubber surrounds, new ones were a sod to fit! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bartb said:

Received my class 122  today and well pleased with it.  plenty of destinations to choose from. Well done Dapol

20210824_120105.jpg

20210824_121509.jpg

20210824_121519.jpg

Just a shame "St Earth" & "Llanelly" are mistakes ... I noticed that today reading through the labels with my model :no: !! 

Still an absolute winner of a model though :yahoo:

Craig.

• Agree 1

On 22/08/2021 at 23:23, uk_pm said:

I have taken delivery of a pair of 122s and, as I expected, they look superb.  There are some lovely details (including some super etched grilles on the underframe) and the overall shape appears to capture the prototype perfectly.  The simple paint finish is very nicely applied, with the tone of the rail blue being spot on.  The interior is a work of art (with the blue seat moquette and the metal seat frame captured beautifully - plenty of space for model suitcases between the seats!). The detail pack includes a sold panel depicting the plated-over 2-character headcode box, together with decals for the head codes themselves and a selection of destination labels (some of which are spelt incorrectly I note (unless St. Earth really is a place?!).  

Tardy ordering of sound decoders has meant that I have yet to test the mechanism, although I note that it is a simple motor worm gear to driving axle transmission, and will, I suspect, need carefully handling if it is not to race off unprototypically.  Incidentally, although there are two motors (one in each bogie - all axles are powered), the model takes a OO-gauge 21-pin decoder - so no need to fork out for one of the more powerful decoders.  

Anyway, I think it is another winner from Dapol and represents real value for money at the price.  What do you think?

PM

IMG_3508.jpeg

IMG_3512.jpeg

IMG_3515.jpeg

IMG_3516.jpeg

Why does it have the TOPS code for the parcel version at the exhaust end? And it needs to be black. Took less than 5 mins to find a picture of it in blue showing it on the railcar website.

• RMweb Premium
On 24/08/2021 at 18:09, muddys-blues said:

Just a shame "St Earth" & "Llanelly" are mistakes ... I noticed that today reading through the labels with my model :no: !! 

Still an absolute winner of a model though :yahoo:

Craig.

Liskard

and Tweed Bank are two more.

Model looks great though, weighs a ton.

On 25/08/2021 at 20:40, meatloaf said:

Visited my local shop  and he had a blue grey one on display. After seeing it in the flesh it came home with me. Lovely model and a bargain at £254. 

Only ran on DC at present with a combi controller as i dotn yet had a proper layput

£254, that was the pre July price increase price - surely they should be complying with the 15% max discount off RRP?

Other shops have them at £263.05 post price increase price.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Courtybella said:

£254, that was the pre July price increase price - surely they should be complying with the 15% max discount off RRP?

Other shops have them at £263.05 post price increase price.

I paid a very similar amount (£254.99) this morning for mine, though I did order it some years ago. 

Edited by Kris

• RMweb Gold
On 24/08/2021 at 12:37, Bartb said:

Received my class 122  today and well pleased with it.  plenty of destinations to choose from. Well done Dapol

20210824_120105.jpg

20210824_121509.jpg

20210824_121519.jpg

It's St Erth, not St Earth, but then you cen't spect they up country people to know much bout west Kernow can 'ee!:)

Just a few points:

For the DCC fitted model, car lights are F5 not F4 as the instruction suggest.

The decoder appears to be an Imperium 3, acceleration/deceleration need to be set.  CV 5 and 6 adjust max and mid voltages. 64/32 worked well for me on these. I am not sure if you can change the lamp brightness which is a shame as the head code/destination boxes are a touch vivid.

I don’t see how you can get the speedo cable to negotiate the cab footsteps. Might just cut this and fit sections to bogie and frame connection. This part is not mentioned in the instructions.

The decals are waterslide , not self adhesive.

It is a beauty, and a nice weight.  It was a bit sticky at first (like it had been baked in a sealed container for 2 months!) and the wheels needed a good clean. After a little run in, it’s fine.

Worth the (very long) wait.

N

9 hours ago, Zunnan said:

Oldbury is another curiosity, it closed during WW1 never to reopen.

Oldbury Town - true. The 'other' Oldbury was on the main line, now known as Sandwell & Dudley.

Langley Green is spelt correctly, but another odd choice I would have thought - as far as I know, neither it or Oldbury/Sandwell & Dudley have ever been 'terminating' destinations?

Maybe the Dapol designers imagine someone might model a "What if?" layout - what if Oldbury Town had stayed open, & a service similar to the Stourbridge branch had run on it, between it & Langley Green? Say, there's an idea, along with freight to Oldbury Goods, and Albright & Wilsons.... :scratchhead: :mail:  :good:

I note both Stourbridge Town & Stourbridge Junction are provided. :yes:

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 1