Dapol 121 and 122 dmus in O gauge

Hal Nail

• RMweb Premium

Test sample at Alexandra Palace today - i’ll post a photo later.

1st ep has arrived and is being inspected, painted samples expected for Doncaster show and planned to be out late this year. They said they’ve held back announcing until well progressed.

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Is that a 121 body next to the 122 Exhaust same as 121.

Steve

The leaflet (see the link above post #4) is a bit unclear but says they are doing headcode and destination code type cab roofs and 3 different exhaust types. All the initially announced ones are 122 and shown with the smaller roof box so perhaps more to follow.

Edited by Hal Nail

Just need to release the Loadhaul one too

Probably the easiest -Departmental' to do as the Guards area was not touched, only a few windows 'blocked off'. The 121 to Sandite/Route Learner' conversions are a bit more involved,although with an underfloor motor/gearbox arrangement (instead of the Bachmann vertical motor in the Guards compartment making things difficult) the Guards area replaced by seating will be a lot easier, leaving only the.louvre panels in lieu of some windows to contend with. All in all though interesting times ahead.

regards

Mike 

Interesting they can do this for £200 less than the Heljan 121. Hattons prices -I know which version I will be going for

The EP at Ally Pally looked the business especially the underframe

Paul R

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Interesting they can do this for £200 less than the Heljan 121. Hattons prices -I know which version I will be going for

The EP at Ally Pally looked the business especially the underframe

Paul R

We are not, of course, party to the various costs and expenses - and margins - which go to make up the price we pay for our models.  But, in this case, I am sure that a factor in Dapol's favour is that they have recently researched the same prototype for their excellent models of it in the smaller scales.  These models sell in much larger quantities than their O' gauge siblings, so I am sure this will have allowed for a much lower development cost for this O gauge model than will be borne by Heljan.  An interesting question is whether Heljan will now proceed with their class 121 (although the 128 chassis is clearly intended to be employed in their 121 and 117 models as well). 

We are not, of course, party to the various costs and expenses - and margins - which go to make up the price we pay for our models.  But, in this case, I am sure that a factor in Dapol's favour is that they have recently researched the same prototype for their excellent models of it in the smaller scales.  These models sell in much larger quantities than their O' gauge siblings, so I am sure this will have allowed for a much lower development cost for this O gauge model than will be borne by Heljan.  An interesting question is whether Heljan will now proceed with their class 121 (although the 128 chassis is clearly intended to be employed in their 121 and 117 models as well). 

But Heljan are known for their high prices in O gauge, and don't Heljan use soft tools that cost drastically less to make? The only thing Dapol save on is research. When it comes to designing it has to be done from scratch.

One thing is clear - the competition in R-T-R O Scale is seriously hotting up!! So is the risk of duplication, but whereas with say, the Dapol & Minerva Pannier Tanks, prices are fairly close, and also reasonable enough to consider owning one of each, where there is such a significant price difference between makes as in this case, I reckon one of them is going to lose out badly.

• RMweb Premium

Dapol 122 in 'O' gauge. Sample made from first shots off the tools, (so not an EP). (CJL)

My OP was badly worded - Richard told me at Alexandra Palace that they had just received the first EP (which was back at base camp being checked).

Edited by Hal Nail

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi,

I noticed a few days ago on the Tower Models website that the Class 121 had been cofirmed, now also on the Dapol Digest:

https://digest.Dapol.co.uk/forum/o-gauge-models/diesel-aa/class-121-dmu/project-managers-blog-ax/7327-announcing-the-o-gauge-class-121

Andy Dapol:

Possibly not a huge stretch of the imagination, however, we have now announced production of the Class 121 in 7mm to partner our 7mm 122.

This model will be released approximately 2 months after the class 122 in the following 6 liveries:
  1. 7D-009-001 W55020 Green with Speed whiskers
  2. 7D-009-002 W55027 Green with small yellow panel
  3. 7D-009-003 W55029 BR Blue-Gray
  4. 7D-009-004 W55023 BR Blue
  5. 7D-009-005 W55029 GWR 150 Chocolate and Cream
  6. 7D-009-DCC3 121034/55034 Chiltern Heritage Green (As retired) This is a special edition model commissioned by DCC Supplies Ltd. (More information here: bubblecar.dccsupplies.com)
Electrical and mechanical features are similar to the class 122 and also, as with the Class 122 there are many tooling variations permitting reproduction of much of the fleet. Some examples are:
Guards single and 2-part door rails
Drivers door rail short & long types
Bodyshell variations 

My pre-order is in, here's one I purchased earlier...

post-6883-0-52280700-1528527071_thumb.jpg

... being the KernowMRC N Gauge special.

Regards, Gerry.

• Like 2