What to buy : 3D printer and software options.

I have had a look around and done a bit of reading on 3 D printing for model trains. I have selected BLENDER as useful software and this printer on ebay/Australia for the hardware. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. The reason I selected this printer is because it looks as though it will give quite a smooth finish compared to some others I have seen. I do realise that you can't always trust pictures !

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CTC-3D-Printer-Dual-Extruder-MK8-Factory-Direct-Lowest-Price-ABS-PLA/122938194027?hash=item1c9faff86b:g:lrgAAOSwTM5Yx6ij

Edited by brian777999

I have had a look around and done a bit of reading on 3 D printing for model trains. I have selected BLENDER as useful software and this printer on ebay/Australia for the hardware. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. The reason I selected this printer is because it looks as though it will give quite a smooth finish compared to some others I have seen.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CTC-3D-Printer-Dual-Extruder-MK8-Factory-Direct-Lowest-Price-ABS-PLA/122938194027?hash=item1c9faff86b:g:lrgAAOSwTM5Yx6ij

Check the reviews Amazon

Adrian

I have got one of those and I am happy with it. The base plate keeps level over long periods of time and easy to level when you need. Have used it to 3D print new cogs for my ice cream maker, among other things. For OO gauge I have used it to print lineside cabinets etc.

I do my designs in Sketchup as it is free, export to stl and then print using Makerbot software which came with my printer

The only problem is I have never got to grips with the second head and so never used it. I guess it will come in handy if the main head fails. Also 3D printing is sensitive to air temperature and humidity so it is hard to get the same consistency as you would expect in a standard inkjet printer.

Unlike the Makerbot this is emulating - it does not comes with perspex shield

Good luck!

Edited by letterspider

The only problem is I have never got to grips with the second head and so never used it. I guess it will come in handy if the main head fails. Also 3D printing is sensitive to air temperature and humidity so it is hard to get the same consistency as you would expect in a standard inkjet printer.

Unlike the Makerbot this is emulating - it does not comes with perspex shield

Good luck!

So living in the tropics (Cairns) might cause some problems due to the high levels of temperature and humidity in summer ?