A small colliery in OO (needs a name)

maq1988

• RMweb Premium

Welcome to my as yet unnamed colliery layout in OO. This is my first layout thread and my first attempt at a ‘proper’ OO layout.

This is my completely fictional colliery layout - there is no fixed location or time period. Rule 1 may apply at times.

​I've not drawn out a track plan but the basics are that there are two storage lines in the fiddle yard that can hold 24 wagons total. Empty wagons are brought in from the fiddle yard and end up in one of the two reception roads.

40296179884_f4018782c8_b.jpgRailway 2 by Martin Randall, on Flickr

The empty wagons get split into blocks of 3, and then propelled under the screens. A set of hoppers and magic will fill the wagons under the screens (shown roughly with the white paper)

Once full the wagons are put into the outgoing siding before making their way back to the fiddle yard.

40296180284_4a916511ea_b.jpgRailway 1 by Martin Randall, on Flickr

Motive power will be small locomotives - namely a Bachmann Jinty, Hornby Sentinel, Model Rail Sentinel, and soon to be joined by a Hatton’s Andrew Barclay and a Hornby Peckett.

40112377605_bf6a4670cf_b.jpgRailway 3 by Martin Randall, on Flickr

Inspiration has come from other layouts, such as Ackthorpe, Moving Coal (http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/76110-moving-coal-a-colliery-layout-in-0-gauge/) and National Coal Board - Royd Hall Drift (http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/76299-national-coal-board-royd-hall-drift-royal-oak-sidings/).

The layout is 30 inches wide by 11ft 6 inches long, with the last board being 24 inches wide due to the window. A strip of space has been left at the back of the layout for wire-in-tube point motors and the coal hoppers.

I'm not the fastest modeller in the world so progress may take a while, but hopefully having a thread will give me a push to get things done.

Edited by maq1988
  • Like 4

Colliery Railways are among my favorite I shall be following with interest :)

Don't forget the DJ models J94's in your roster I personally really like the blue one that is weathered can't recall the actual name for it I think it is a Littleton Colliery loco but you'll see it on eHattons :)

Good Luck!

• RMweb Premium

Don't forget the DJ models J94's in your roster...

Thanks - I've got my eye on a J94 however I'm leaning to the lined maroon Peckfield Colliery version. Both are tempting although my wallet thinks otherwise.

As I’m waiting for the Easter weekend before starting to lay track I thought I’d make a mock-tudor mockup of the screens building out of foamboard. The green cutting board standing up is where the backscene board will be. The screens will be brick-infill with the plan that the shell of the building will be easily removable to access the inside.

If the workers are lucky I might include some dusted over windows on the final building.

40346903704_5aee265e2b_b.jpgRailway 4 by Martin Randall, on Flickr

I was planning on having the headgear modelled as well but realistically I don’t have the space. If I can find a short example online I’ll reconsider it.

• Like 3

Just starting my own layout and a colliery is what I would love to do. Shall keep on eye on this one!

I have the Hornby J94 with a Tsunami DCC decoder jammed into it. But in need of something a little larger as well.

The headgear is the fun part! Lots of tricky scratch building :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Both are very good books Kieth, even if you take away the modelling aspect they are full of information and some great photographs.

Gavinn - I was looking at trying to scratch build a smallish headstock. So far the best 'little' prototype I've found is Hope Pit, although I'd make mine maybe half as tall again.

What I'm struggling to find is some coal tubs for a small section of narrow gauge track. They'll be static so if I can't find any I'll try and make some.

The headgear is the fun part! Lots of tricky scratch building :)

Very rewarding when you get it right.

If it doesn't look right first time, don't be afraid to start again. Scrapping structures I am not happy with to start them again is something I find very liberating. I often start by making a quick mock-up with old cereal packets, then use these as a template.

As for the name... Can you find a location in the middle of the areas you may want to place it, get out a map then find a village in that area which never had a railway.

Or do as a friend of mine did & make it 2 or 3 locations, defined by a couple of different buildings which you can swap out?

• RMweb Gold

What I'm struggling to find is some coal tubs for a small section of narrow gauge track. They'll be static so if I can't find any I'll try and make some.

I've bought some Auhagen H0 41701 Feldbahn Track Dummies for surface narrow gauge track, the same company also have tubs:

Auhagen Kit 41706 Ho Ng Train 3 Open Wagons (non Working)

I think they look pretty good.

I bought mine from Lord and Butler in Cardiff last year.

Cheers,

Keith