White Swan (or possibly Lion) Yard

Paul C

Well, having spent the day at Ally Pally, I thought it was high time that I posted some pictures of one of the slowest-progressing Cakebox Challenge entries - namely mine!

When I first found out about the challenge, one idea instantly sprang to mind. I've been fascinated for a while with the pictures of trains - mostly of coal trucks - being towed out between the White Swan public house and the adjacent terrace of houses in Great Yarmouth. I had mulled over the idea of making a shunting layout of the yard behind, but had dismissed it as lacking in operational interest (though that may change - having had a chat with Dave Tailby over his shunting layout "Friday Bridge" today...), however the cakebox challenge seemed like an ideal excuse to make a small diorama, plus it bucks the trend of mostly fictional settings seen so far.

First off, I found a photo, roughly scaled it, printed it out and stuck it to cardboard house shapes so I could have a play with the idea and see if it worked dimensionally in the 20x20cm space allowable.

post-18516-0-44830700-1522005434_thumb.jpg

post-18516-0-12187500-1522005488_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

OK - here is a bit more!

I've been working on this for quite some time, so a few photos stored up, though not hugely well progressed. I am hoping that posting on here might encourage me to get a move on; we shall see...

Having decided that the idea might work, I started to mark out the derelict end terrace house on the right hand side. Brick paper is downloaded from Scalescenes, the rendered end wall achieved by brushing dilute wall filler over card, glued to mounting board.

post-18516-0-29521800-1522010598_thumb.jpg

post-18516-0-25729900-1522010652_thumb.jpg

post-18516-0-80330300-1522010718_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Look forward to seeing this develop Paul, looks good so far. I like Friday Bridge and think it has captured the atmosphere of the area well, good layout to get inspiration from.

Keep up the good work :-) 

Steve.

• Like 1

OK - another quick update. No actual progress tonight as have been catching up on the F1 from yesterday, but here are some more photos.

First off, front of the terraced house with the brick paper applied to mounting board, then cut out. The front portion of the "render" has been glued on over the top of the brick paper, and then the wooden planks boarding up the window added. The boards are a single piece of card for each window, scribed to make the separate planks, and then coloured with watercolour paint. I'm reasonably pleased with the colour, but were I to do this again I'd cut the planks out and apply separately. I'd also have to figure out a way of better applying the planks to the ground floor window, as they sit over the join between render and bricks and from the wrong angle you can see the bend in the "planks" as they go from one level to the other. I also suspect the planks would benefit from being slightly over scale thickness - whereas the current ones are slightly too thin. This was supposed to be a "get back into modelling" exercise anyway, so that's a lesson filed away for next time.

Next, the door and the back layer for the panels were cut out, and again coloured with watercolour paint, before sticking the panels behind the framing.

In the final picture, the door is then glued in position on the rear of the front wall, the door frame coloured, and some weathering added to the render around the ground and the leaky downpipe - which will be added when the house is completed.

post-18516-0-07558700-1522099948_thumb.jpg

post-18516-0-08850800-1522100002_thumb.jpg

post-18516-0-09953400-1522100058_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

post-18516-0-85489100-1539293219_thumb.jpg

Well, it's finally done(ish) and my entry is in. I feel bad for not having posted more regularly, and truth is I haven't taken enough photos as I've gone along. Here are some of the diorama as entered in the competition. There is still stuff I'd like to do, and the shunter needs finishing (it currently only has skirts on one side and no cow catchers!). The shunter will get done, but the rest I will likely leave alone now. I also want to have a go at motorising the shunter at some point, and for that reason the Dapol chassis hasn't been glued on (neither has the skirt) and the top of the bonnet is also loose to allow fitting of ballast at a later date.

post-18516-0-34321500-1539293215_thumb.jpg

post-18516-0-03583300-1539293218_thumb.jpg

post-18516-0-02542500-1539293222_thumb.jpg

I've really enjoyed this challenge, and hope that BRM comes up with something else we can all have a go at in the New Year. It has achieved its objective for me - I have gone from being an armchair modeller to being an actual modeller again.

Next project is putting the Hornby Father Christmas set I bought almost two years ago onto a baseboard, ready for December!

Edited by Paul C
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 1 year later...

Brilliant! I can't believe I didn't see this until doing a Google search for "White Swan coal yard" (amongst others) turned this up! I think you got the look of the original to a T!

I am using the original as inspiration as a scene blocker on my 3 foot long Inglenook, Woodhey Quay, although my plan wasn't to accurately model the original but to recreate the essence using some old Metcalfe kits (terraced houses and pub). I am also return to modelling after a long hiatus, so learning as I go.

However, your model does reinforce the photogenic nature of this location. If it wasn't for my collection of Southern region locos, I could be sorely tempted to model Great Yarmouth Quay railways properly, with the tram locos, skirted 03 diesels and the tiny Sentinel loco (as I've seen in various photos).

Looking forward to your next project.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent job of conveying the look and feel of that location.......I know it well, as I lived right across the street in Sydney close whilst the tramway was still operational and also had the good fortune to ride the footplate of a class 3 along the quayside on 1 occasion.

colin

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Only just come across this for some reason- saw White Swan on the recent posts bits and decided to have a shufty, because its one of those places I find interesting! Glad I did- Paul, thats a smashing diorama and I feel quite humble that Friday Bridge and our little chat has brought forward such results.......

The next question is, When are you going to build the whole White Swan coal yard? it would make an ideal small micro project and if you do it in EM then Martin Wales may invite you to Expo EM North, or whatever its called this week! An 04, and half a dozen nicely detailed 16t minerals and you're on a winner, in my book anyway! Go to it my man!

Disgusting of Market Harborough

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Bungus the Fogeyman said:

The next question is, When are you going to build the whole White Swan coal yard? it would make an ideal small micro project and if you do it in EM then Martin Wales may invite you to Expo EM North, or whatever its called this week! An 04, and half a dozen nicely detailed 16t minerals and you're on a winner, in my book anyway! Go to it my man!

Yes! He may just!!:mocking_mini:

• 5 months later...
On 25/06/2020 at 15:04, Bungus the Fogeyman said:

Only just come across this for some reason- saw White Swan on the recent posts bits and decided to have a shufty, because its one of those places I find interesting! Glad I did- Paul, thats a smashing diorama and I feel quite humble that Friday Bridge and our little chat has brought forward such results.......

I only just saw your reply! As is typical for me, modelling progress has been in fits and bursts. I'm currently working on a little industrial layout, using some of the buildings from the original Scalescenes boxfile kit. At some point, I'll get around to posting some proper photos. I also have a little piece of Middy on the go - based on the buildings at Brockford Station, but imagining that the railway got built beyond Debenham so I can be a bit more creative with the track plan.

Next up after that is White Swan...I still haven't quite resolved how to get the iconic shot from the diorama into a full layout, as the operationally interesting bit is of course the yard, behind the buildings. Since making the diorama, I've found loads more photos, so have a much better idea of what the yard itself looked like. I also have one of the rather excellent Rapido tram locos though, so I've no excuse really...

IMG_20200826_184001.jpg

• Like 2

On 26/06/2020 at 09:58, MartinWales said:

Yes! He may just!!:mocking_mini:

I fear EM would be a bridge too far right now... Just something that runs would be good! Never say never though, the improved look of the track is certainly worth the effort.

What Master Jones is trying to say Paul, is that by joining the EMGS  you can then purchase RTR EM gauge points made by PECO therefore making the build no different to doing it in OO! The length of the point may be an issue but, if you're that keen on EM, you could easily build your own after all!

Just a thought!

Disusting of Market Harborough

PS The factory scene looks good and the Middy idea sounds interesting too!

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Bungus the Fogeyman said:

What Master Jones is trying to say Paul, is that by joining the EMGS  you can then purchase RTR EM gauge points made by PECO therefore making the build no different to doing it in OO! The length of the point may be an issue but, if you're that keen on EM, you could easily build your own after all!

Just a thought!

Disusting of Market Harborough

PS The factory scene looks good and the Middy idea sounds interesting too!

Ahhh, you learn quick oh Wise Apprentice!, both of which you can do in EM too....