Scalefour North 2018

Flymo748

I'd just like to mention that I and the rest of the operating crew on Boston Frodsham had a fabulous weekend at the show.

The layout performed really well and we were blown away by all the positive comments and feedback we received. Apologies if sometimes dealing with questions got in the way of the operating but there were obviously a lot of keen modelers in the audience.
I'm sure some people will have scurried quickly past when they saw we were running those awful diesel things but hey ho. On the other hand, although not my modeling period I was delighted to be able to see the likes of Pulborough, Kettlewell and Lee on the Solent in the flesh.
Thanks to Phil Sutton for the "loan" of one of his locos, they are certainly impressive models.
Finally thanks to James and the rest of the organizing crew for their hospitality. I know from helping to organize our club's relatively modest open days that a lot of time and effort is involved and we should be ever grateful to these folk for giving up their spare time so that we can further enjoy our hobby.

• Like 2

Clutton got to Wakefield on time, after delays on M1.

Set up Friday, trains were running without incident straight off on Saturday morning. Couple of minor electrical problems quickly sorted out. Even the shunting got better, once operator training had been covered. Lots of positive comments.

Always a cracking show, plus a cracking weekend, us Southerners are made very welcome in Yorkshire.

Only two shows left now, before Clutton's retirement.

ExpoEM and Railwells will be its final show.

• Like 1

Congratulations to James Dickie [Wizard of the Moor] and his team on another fine show.  There are many worse reasons for being on ones feet all day than wandering around a show and being waylaid by so many familiar and nearly familiar faces.  It was particularly good to run into rusticated RMwebber James Wells and son Thomas.  I had many useful conversations over the weekend about various aspects which concern me [in every sense of the word] and know that some good will come of them.

I was talking to a guy on Sunday afternoon who said it was his first finescale show.  What kept you, County of Yorkshire, for although we did not introduce ourselves I believe it was you.  We were talking among other things about sanding coach bodies before affixing brass sides.  Aha!  Now you know.  I've got news for you: at some finescale shows one cannot move for pre-grouping layouts.  This is where I come out as a heretic for not quite understanding their appeal.  Mark 46444, apologies for appearing a bit dense in the first few minutes of our conversation because it took that long for the penny to drop.  The final apology is to anyone who was yelling greetings [i hope] at me outside on Sunday morning and wondering why I did not respond.  The simple reason is that I was captivated by the bird at the top of the tree singing its little beak out.  Such beauty, and in Wakefield too.

At least one member of the St Merryn team will be disappointed if I do not mention the catering, so here goes.  Saturday lunch for me was stew and dumplings, and oh those dumplings!  I wish I could make them like that!  On Sunday the main course turned out to be steak, ale and uncredited mushroom pie, and if you know a finer accompaniment for what was in effect a business meeting I'd move to know about it.  The other half of the discussion asked if I would like pudding.  I wavered, but only for a second, and made the right decision, for it would have been churlish not to.

The weekend had got off to a bad start for me because I was trapped behind a fatal accident on the A1 that only just happened.  Despite that I was at the show by 10.30 am and relieved in a way that there was still a queue to get in.  OK, I missed the bargains at the bring and buy but the locusts always get there before me whatever time I arrive.  Things just got better all day!  Making the journey of 140 miles each way was a good investment.

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Sounds like it was a good show and I wish I could have been there myself. I had commitments on both days of last weekend this year, as it turned out, but five hours each way (which is what it was the last time I did it as a day trip) is really just too much now.

Such beauty, and in Wakefield too.

Oi!  There's lots of beautiful birds in Wakey and the best time to see them isn't Saturday morning but Saturday night!

Or so I was told once.  Probably by the Bristol entourage..........

Good to see you again Chris. You don't half get round to a lot of shows!

• RMweb Gold

Pictures to tempt you of some of the layouts that will be exhibited at Scalefour North...

Clutton:

attachicon.gifIMG_6265.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_6229.JPG

Kettlewell:

attachicon.gifKettlewell (2).JPG

attachicon.gifKettlewell (3).JPG

Pulborough:

attachicon.gifPul_AH_0018.JPG

attachicon.gifPul_DD_1.jpg

We look forward to seeing you there.

Cheers

Paul Willis

Scalefour Society Deputy Chairman

They look absolutely drop dead gorgeous Sometimes Oz is a little too far away.

Mike

Edited by ikks

Oi!  There's lots of beautiful birds in Wakey and the best time to see them isn't Saturday morning but Saturday night!

Much more chance of successful sightings during the early hours of Saturday & Sunday mornings. 2:00 am in Northgate there was still large murmurations of the species to be observed, which I found strange as most seemed to have lost the majority of their plumage by that early hour!

P

Much more chance of successful sightings during the early hours of Saturday & Sunday mornings. 2:00 am in Northgate there was still large murmurations of the species to be observed, which I found strange as most seemed to have lost the majority of their plumage by that early hour!

P

P

Certainly at 12 midnight on Saturday there was one who had decided to roost in the middle of the road in the high street (is that Northgate?).  She was having a really restful lie-down.  Fortunately she seemed to have two cars with flashing lights and men in bright jackets at either side who seemed to be keeping her safe from the milling of the rest of the flock...

I decided to give up on the idea of a taxi and walk the 2.9 miles back to the hotel.  It was nice exercise after excellent beer and curry!

Cheers

Flymo

I mentioned earlier that Phil Sutton "loaned" us one of his locos to run on Boston Frodsham at the weekend.

Well on Sunday afternoon Phil did a photo shoot and these are the result (admittedly with a bit of improvement from Photoshop).

post-432-0-57263900-1523991815_thumb.jpg

post-432-0-86738300-1523991836_thumb.jpg

Note to mods, I do have Phil's permission to post these.

Edited by mike knowles
  • Like 12

The overbridge scene above, just delightful. Fence posts, walls, verges and an embankment, it looks easy, but it's so difficult to get it just right. Lovely stuff.

Agreed. My favourite bit of Clutton is the way the mud is modelled near the gates petering out into tyre tracks before completely fading away.

• RMweb Premium

Second photo of Boston Frodsham at post 65 above - is the water in the foreground as modelled, or is it "with a bit of improvement from Photoshop"? If it's the former, it is terrifically well modelled.

John Storey

Are you coming back tomorrow?

I have an MRJ binder for you...  Dave Furmage may have mentioned it today, but I didn't catch you.

I think John had already left by the time I was asked to tell him about the binder.

Second photo of Boston Frodsham at post 65 above - is the water in the foreground as modelled, or is it "with a bit of improvement from Photoshop"? If it's the former, it is terrifically well modelled.

John Storey

The water as shown is purely the result of Photoshop, I'm still pondering on how to model it.

Whilst it does look very effective I doubt the River Witham would ever have looked so blue unless, as a friend has remarked, if there had been a leak from the local chemical works!