LMS TPO Kits in 4mm

ianwales

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, mark54 said:

Definitely 2 different types. The SR one has small windows under the can trail on both sides - the GWR ones do not have any, The SR one has centrally placed roof vents, evenly spaced - and the GWR ones have offset vents grouped in 2's and 3's.

The only photo I have found is for an  SR deigned POT (S4958) which does have the cantrail windows and equi -spaced roof vents - it would suggest that, like the LMS the SR POS were similar to their  POT. But why have a ducket other than for seeing the bag catcher/bag handler at trackside? So is it a ducket or just and add on "lump?

Baz

I think it may simply be the addition of a genuine Guards compartment and nothing to do with GPO requirements - the railways being full of such requirements!

If you look very closely at the last picture, there is definitely some writing on the door and I would expect it to be "Guard"

Edited by ScRSG

On 10/04/2020 at 20:36, mark54 said:

The coach in the photo above is a GWR diagram 21 57ft POT. 794 & 795 were transferred to the LMR in 1960 according to Longworth.

Apologies for going off at a tangent - but does the Longworth book (I think GWR & LMS share a volume?) also cover which LMS stock got (re)registered to the North Eastern region when created in 1957? (Not specifically enquiring about TPO vehicles here).

18 hours ago, ScRSG said:

I think it may simply be the addition of a genuine Guards compartment and nothing to do with GPO requirements - the railways being full of such requirements!

If you look very closely at the last picture, there is definitely some writing on the door and I would expect it to be "Guard"

I agree. If the train only consisted of 4 postal coaches, then guards accommodation would be required. For the service, 3 coaches with guards accommodation would be required - one each for the northbound and southbound trains and one spare.

In this John Whiteley photo at Perth, you can just make out the 4th coach with guards ducket and recess for nets

https://www.flickr.com/photos/126693116@N06/20326746724/in/photolist-wYcTCq-QGo8c8-LPHAJu-Yp3Zns-GZbdUh-kPk6md-2hD349j-gPgJiF-bh4MGV-wjFs72-SQitmx-e894DW-2dxZZou-jDdmLU-2icyCTx-2hiKE9P-2iA7g2y-T8h1gL-2fKQrih-b8SQ98-Zq2Hv4-e7MPFu-SZeM8P-NQ16M3-2b1ggmh-2bvGHTM-jDcvP4-24s25Np-pS1qH9-rgjnnW-pAmw1v-Trkjdn-24koSyH-pBFotK-h1YDVc-dv7PkX-NwbBVh-2hsQ7jq-h27VWf-pBJHJR-qP9Yke-dTsM4M-29grFPg-pTW7RP-2b1dSRx-rtoiVn-8QLmTi-vunWLx-qNQAg5-owhdto

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Jub45565 said:

Apologies for going off at a tangent - but does the Longworth book (I think GWR & LMS share a volume?) also cover which LMS stock got (re)registered to the North Eastern region when created in 1957? (Not specifically enquiring about TPO vehicles here).

The books are basically a list of coaching stock against which introduction/withdrawal dates and known regional transfers are annotated. Eastern & North Eastern coaching stock was not separately identified (E prefix) except for a short period in the mid-60's when there was a NE prefix too.

11 minutes ago, mark54 said:

Eastern & North Eastern coaching stock was not separately identified (E prefix) except for a short period in the mid-60's when there was a NE prefix too.

I appreciate that, but there was ex LMS stock redesignated to E, and I was wondering about these vehicles. Eg push pull fitted D1851 BTK(D) E3499M. I presume this happened in 1957? I was wondering whether there might be a fuller list of which vehicles were moved.

The above vehicle worked the Worth Valley branch, so will presumably have gained its 'E' at the same time as Manningham changed code from 20E to 55F.

All M to E vehicles will be listed, but not in a list together. 

E3499M is listed as extant 09/54 to 11/61 with the previous number of the vehicle 5496 most recently, and 7019. Noted as motor fitted. Under M5496M it notes renumbered M3499M in 09/54.

I presume the renumbering was when it was motor fitted and also when it was transferred but it is not entirely clear. Not sure this helps you!

• Thanks 1

Thanks Mark - it doesn't entirely join the dots - as I think it would have been motor fitted while still M M and later changed to E M at the time of (or sometime after) the boundary change in the area.  It is useful to know that there are listings for the E  M numbers though, so this could help me with some numbers for general service (ie none push pull) vehicles which were more likely than others to have been in use in the area at the time. 

Another book to get at some point!

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, mark axlecounter said:

Paul at Stevensons carriages has the TPO coaches I have 4 to build. 
they are only £30 if memory serves me right. 

Mark T

They are the ex Brian Badger ones as per the ones in the photos 3armier in the thread. Easy to build apart from hacking the roof about.

Baz

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mark

Not many photos of mail trains ..wonder why?  Later vehicles have a guards compartment. But the odd photos I have seen a BG would be in the train.. as well as a few other bogie and CCT vans.

The offset corridors were for security of the Postal vans themselves.

Baz

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/04/2020 at 13:44, Joseph_Pestell said:

For anyone that wants LMS TPO vehicles, especially in the "rarer" scales, worth a mention that rue d'Etropal (Simon Dawson) has two versions available via Shapeways. Found earlier when looking at his new Period 1 inter-regional coaches.

Hi, Do you have a link please?

Ian

On 10/04/2020 at 13:44, Joseph_Pestell said:

For anyone that wants LMS TPO vehicles, especially in the "rarer" scales, worth a mention that rue d'Etropal (Simon Dawson) has two versions available via Shapeways. Found earlier when looking at his new Period 1 inter-regional coaches.

Hi, Do you have a link please?

Ian

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, mark axlecounter said:

Just done the under coat on my tpo stock 

20D4856D-19E4-4713-B970-EC72EBF1C687.jpeg

57D1DEB4-0F01-419C-B62D-78F5D444973E.jpeg

I use brown undercoat for BR Maroon Mark.. the Midland used brown under Midland Lake, the LMS used brown under LMS red...gives it a bit more "depth"

Baz

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, mark axlecounter said:

Here is the coaches I’ve sprayed. 
my method of spraying is grey then red primer but only a dusting. Then railmatch br maroon. 
they are in gloss now ready for the transfers then satin. 

E6A03F74-34A8-4137-9BFC-74B8754FBBD8.jpeg

Hi Mark

Will they be finished as LMS or BR?

Ian