BRM April '18 + FREE DVD

SteveCole

Just picked up my copy from Smiths. A very good issue, enjoyed matching the Treneglos crew to their RMweb names (not that that was the first thing I did).

Is it me, or was the Cakebox challenge section missing? It said it on the contents but instead there was a page about subscriptions.

• RMweb Gold

I think all the extra photos are in the digital edition Rob.

Yep. Another advantage of the digital version.

Plus, no DVD to mess up the front page (or lose somewhere), and no fold lines in the middle of double page spreads. I still buy physical mags on occasion, but for every digital edition I become more of a convert.

post-738-0-66878900-1522414057.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

We don't. The area behind the DVD is left clear of text. Something that caused yet another load of abuse in the comments on last month's magazine.

Sorry Phil but there is very clearly text obscured by the DVD. You can see half of some words and the circular text is partly obscured too.

• RMweb Gold

As of next issue, BRM is to be sold in a brown paper bag due to complaints over the offensive front cover. W.H Smith have also undertaken to display future issues on the top shelf to protect the innocent..

In line with this new approach the title will change to Bondage Railway Modelling with an introduction from the new editor, Squealer Edwards.

post-14122-0-11996700-1522414191.jpg

• RMweb Gold

[*]If all the research is rubbish, and I'm lying to you, why do all the other mainstream magazines in all areas design covers in a similar way? Does the whole magazine industry know nothing? Remember, this is a mass-market magazine that has to fight for readers in the marketplace.

Anyway, we've had the magazine cover discussions on here many, many, many times. I'm pretty sure they will be had again. And again.

Nobody is accusing you of lying Phil it's just an opinion, right or wrong, though I'm not convinced all the other mainstream magazines have covers that are quite such a mess with big, bold and completely irrelevant statements.

Jerry

I have just watched the DVD for the second time to check if I was hearing correctly the introduction from the Ffestiniog and LLANFAIR Railway. No hearing test needed. Was this Andrew Charman's influence?

Brian Hunt

No, Andrew Charman knew nothing about it until he viewed the finished DVD on his copy and was less than impressed... Flak coming my way for sure...

• RMweb Gold

I assume it's because the DVD is a significant part of the package now. It's certainly popular, but if it was on the back cover (I'm not sure if this is technically possible in the automated production process), people wouldn't see it. The other option would be to slip it inside, but then all the issues would have to be bagged, cue more tantrums...

The more bagging the better as far I'm concerned Phil - it might stop all those b*gg*rs standing around reading magazines getting in the way of the poor demented souls like me who actually want to buy something and help ensure that when I do buy it the thing hasn't got pages smeared with chocolate or doughnut jam.  (Which is one reason why I have some mags, including BRM, on subscription.)

• Like 3

The more bagging the better as far I'm concerned Phil - it might stop all those b*gg*rs standing around reading magazines getting in the way of the poor demented souls like me who actually want to buy something and help ensure that when I do buy it the thing hasn't got pages smeared with chocolate or doughnut jam.  (Which is one reason why I have some mags, including BRM, on subscription.)

I've even seen people get a clean copy from the back, lick their fingers and thumb through and then put it back at the front soiling another copy. Not only applicable to BRM of course but I've seen them work their way through all the model mags, add in a few prototype ones and then b*gger off to meet the wife. Obviously no intention of buying anything as they just went in to while away 10 minutes, but I bet they jump on the 'net when they get home to complain if anything's in a bag to spoil their free entertainment.

It's the same as food shopping; always buy from the back!

• RMweb Gold

If anyone dislikes BRM being bagged because they want to see whats inside I would recommend them getting the app (if they have a suitable device)

In the app you can click on a particular edition of the magazine which takes you to a page with a detailed list of what is in that issue, together with several sample pages which can be viewed.

I subscribe to a couple of magazines, but get some others on an occasional basis and always use apps now to choose which

• RMweb Gold

That looks like the carpet in Smith's. ;)

I want the mag, your face and today's newspaper! Will send you something in a day or two, let me have the weekend.

That carpet has got your DNA on it. :jester: 

• RMweb Gold

You've got a dirty mind Dudds but Andy was taking photos.

Of course it's art dear..........tasteful.....