2mm Products and Queries

Llangerisech

Chris,

A couple of questions. Would it also be ok for the Parkside kit which has rather more subtle plank lines and, at £1.95 from Shop 2, is considerably cheaper. Also, what brake gear did you design it with? LNER fitted or BR 8-shoe would be quite nice as a change from the RCH 4-shoe.

David

It was designed for the Parkside kit. It does 8 shoe brakegear of both LNER and BR types, however so far as I know both the Parkside and Farish bodies are for the LMS/BR style - the LNER had different strapping.

Chris

At our recent Area Group meeting, I mentioned to our Products Officer that I had taken up the Chief Shopkeeper's kind offer of supplying custom wheelsets with combinations of wheel/axle length other than those stocked by the shops. Nigel suggested that this thread would be a good place to share my findings, so here goes:

DJM Mermaid

6mm 3 hole wheels on 13.7mm axles. Fitted perfectly.

A decent model although the tipping mechanism is a bit chunky and I'm not entirely convinced by the wheelbase dimensions. The moulded chains on the ends are pretty awful and should be replaced by real chain (note that it should cross over before being fixed to the underframe).

Hopefully anyone else with similar information to share will add it to this thread.

Richard,

How does the buffer height of the 'Mermaid' look with 6mm wheels? I've heard that the first batch of wagons had smaller than scale wheels fitted, but maybe more recent batches have been corrected?

Andy

How does the buffer height of the 'Mermaid' look with 6mm wheels? I've heard that the first batch of wagons had smaller than scale wheels fitted, but maybe more recent batches have been corrected?

That's a really good point and something I hadn't considered. Mine are the early batch (black livery) but I don't think the tooling has been changed for the more recent Dutch liveried ones.

With 6mm wheels the buffers come out around 7.5mm which is a bit too high. The yearbook says buffer height should be a scale 3' 6" so 7.0 or 7.2mm depending on how you view a 1:148 model. That difference is not too bad on paper but measuring some of my stock at random I see most has a buffer height of around 6.5mm so the Mermaid looks silly next to them.

I think I will order some 5.25mm wheels to see if they look better....

• RMweb Premium

It was designed for the Parkside kit. It does 8 shoe brakegear of both LNER and BR types, however so far as I know both the Parkside and Farish bodies are for the LMS/BR style - the LNER had different strapping.

Chris

That's good news on the underframes, Chris.

As far as I know the only difference with the LNER version is two extra straight pieces of ironwork on each side which are easy enough to add. They would also need pre-BR type axleguards.

Shown here on E187844:

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/lnerpipe

David

That's good news on the underframes, Chris.

As far as I know the only difference with the LNER version is two extra straight pieces of ironwork on each side which are easy enough to add. They would also need pre-BR type axleguards.

Shown here on E187844:

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/lnerpipe

David

Well no, I think because of the extra piece of ironwork the others are repositioned as well. You can see this by comparing the position of the ironwork and the brackets that support the sides when they are folded down,

Chris

Edited by Chris Higgs

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

Having just read the latest edition of the magazine, I notice that John Aldrick has had some decals produced for coaches. The article states that these will be available from the shop, does anyone know when this will become available?

Many thanks

Hi all,

Having just read the latest edition of the magazine, I notice that John Aldrick has had some decals produced for coaches. The article states that these will be available from the shop, does anyone know when this will become available?

Many thanks

Steve,

I believe the decals have been passed on to the sales officer for packaging and pricing, so they should hopefully appear in the near future.

Regards,

Andy

• Like 2

Steve,

I believe the decals have been passed on to the sales officer for packaging and pricing, so they should hopefully appear in the near future.

Regards,

Andy

Thank you Andy, I'll keep an eager eye out for them! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Would it be possible to design and store a bell crank to use with the under baseboard tie-bar (item 1-100).

Ideally it would need a firm pivot which could be screwed  down and be adjustable and able to reduce the from 10mm or more to approx 1.5mm. I think the materials used for the tie-bar (1-100) might be ideal but I have no experience of this sort of design.

Regards Roger 

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Would it be possible to design and store a bell crank to use with the under baseboard tie-bar (item 1-100).

Ideally it would need a firm pivot which could be screwed  down and be adjustable and able to reduce the from 10mm or more to approx 1.5mm. I think the materials used for the tie-bar (1-100) might be ideal but I have no experience of this sort of design.

Regards Roger 

Hello Roger

I am told by Alan Smith who manufactures the Easitrac item that the type of cranks you refer to are included in the Easitrac tiebar kit (part 1-430). They are moulded in an engineering plastic, so would be ideal for what you require. As shop 1 is with David Short, he can probably give more detail if you enquire before ordering.

regards

Nigel

• 2 weeks later...

My Revolution Class B tanks have arrived. :-)

The N-Gauge wheelsets supplied are indeed 14.0 mm over pin-points but the good news is that, due to a bit of sloppiness and the different shaped coning, our 14.2mm axles fit perfectly.

The brake shoes on my test example were now very close to the wheels and in some cases either required tweaking or filing/paring - not easy as they are so fine.

Apart from renumbering the duplicates (the numbers are very prominent), weathering and fitting DGs there is not much scope for improvement. They are definitely the most detailed N Gauge RTR wagons I have seen.

I've just put in a large order for custom wheelsets - hope it's not too hot for the elves in the workshop at the moment. :O

Richard

Steve,

Regards,

Andy

To update my earlier answer to this, the coach decals are listed in the latest 2mm magazine and newsletter, which was packed last night to be posted today. I'm not sure when David will get around to updating the shop listing on the website, but the codes are;

4-801 GWR coach decals @ £3-00 (covers up to 6 coaches)

4-802 LMS coach decals @ £3-00 (covers up to 6 coaches)

4-803 LNER coach decals @ £3-00 (covers up to 6 coaches)

Also finally available are the 3d printed Universal Joints - code 3-264 @ £1-50 for one sprue containing a pair of UJs. 

Andy

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

The Farish Castle conversion etches have arrived with me in time for the AGM this weekend.

post-25417-0-01315200-1538507125_thumb.jpg

So if you have thought about moving on from a Pannier conversion, this could be for you.

The etch includes rods, replacement slide bars, crossheads, front bogie and front frame extensions. Due to the design of the tender, it is assumed that the builder will employ the original Farish wheelsets turned down to Association standards, or modify Association wheelsets with wagon axles.

I will see you with a completed example up at Bournmoor if you are there.

regards

Nigel

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

To update my earlier answer to this, the coach decals are listed in the latest 2mm magazine and newsletter, which was packed last night to be posted today. I'm not sure when David will get around to updating the shop listing on the website, but the codes are;

4-801 GWR coach decals @ £3-00 (covers up to 6 coaches)

4-802 LMS coach decals @ £3-00 (covers up to 6 coaches)

4-803 LNER coach decals @ £3-00 (covers up to 6 coaches)

Also finally available are the 3d printed Universal Joints - code 3-264 @ £1-50 for one sprue containing a pair of UJs. 

Andy

Apologies for the delay, folks. These decals are now listed on the website and available for order.

The UJ's should appear tonight along with a raft of loco (principally GWR, ugh!) chassis and NPCS (SR and BR) chassis as designed and produced by Masterclass Models. That ought to keep Mr Dunkeyson out of mischief for a while. Order away!

• Like 1

Please all be looking at the 2mm website. A number of Masterclass Models wagon chassis are now While Stocks Last. These were in the limited edition range and will not be re-run. If you need some for your gloat box or, heaven forfend us, to actually build, well now is the time to get them. Some are nearly sold out and indeed I've already de-listed a couple of items.

Don't leave it too late! 

http://2mm.org.uk

Edited by Yorkshire Square

Arrggg! I was going to purchase another couple of LNER 12' wheelbase chassis kits but they seem to be gone! I'll be saving pennies as quickly as possible to grab some more of the 9' and 10' varieties!

Thank you for the heads up!

Edited by Atso

The Farish Castle conversion etches have arrived with me in time for the AGM this weekend.

attachicon.gifIMG_1403post.JPG

So if you have thought about moving on from a Pannier conversion, this could be for you.

The etch includes rods, replacement slide bars, crossheads, front bogie and front frame extensions. Due to the design of the tender, it is assumed that the builder will employ the original Farish wheelsets turned down to Association standards, or modify Association wheelsets with wagon axles.

I will see you with a completed example up at Bournmoor if you are there.

regards

Nigel

These will appear on the shop listings, hopefully tonight!

3-219 Conversion Coupling Rods/Bogie etc: Farish Castle: Etched N/S £7.50

You will see, when the instruction go up, that the usual conversion bearings, muffs, wheels etc will be required to complement this etch. The moulded gear muff 3-222 is currently out of stock, but I have gear elves whittling away as we speak, so hopefully all the parts will be available soon. Watch this space!

Tony Simms

Sales Officer (Acting)

Edited by Yorkshire Square

IMPORTANT INFORMATION

Black 5 Kit Components Now Available

Please visit the Association website for details of the relaunch of the Bob Jones designed Black 5 Kit. All of the constituent parts of the kit are now available as individual items. You decide what you will need for your build and place the order with Shop 3. This will hopefully spread the load on Steve having to do big batches of kit in one go. I have a list of interested parties from the previous Sales Officer, but I'm not sure how up to date this is! I hope to email people on this list soon, but don't waited to be invited; if you want a kit order it now.

Thanks for looking.

Tony

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Apart from welcoming the great news in Tony's post above (I thought I was going to have to resort to butchering some Farish black 5s), can anyone confirm is the societies drop in wheel sets only fit the new tooling diesel models?

I am thinking of the Class 20 in particular?

Thanks

Angus

Apart from welcoming the great news in Tony's post above (I thought I was going to have to resort to butchering some Farish black 5s), can anyone confirm is the societies drop in wheel sets only fit the new tooling diesel models?

I am thinking of the Class 20 in particular?

Thanks

Angus

Thay may well fit the old-style Farish locos too. The gears and axle diameters are generally the same.

Chris

IMPORTANT INFORMATION

Black 5 Kit Components Now Available

Can we expect similar news of a re-run of the 08 kit within the next year? I already expressed my interest.

I'm planning a DLJC layout and if the 08 will be available in time I don't have to scratch build a loco for it.

Jan

Can we expect similar news of a re-run of the 08 kit within the next year? I already expressed my interest.

I'm planning a DLJC layout and if the 08 will be available in time I don't have to scratch build a loco for it.

Jan

Jan

I hope so. The Black 5 stuff was just lying around and needed sorting out. The 08 might involve a bit more work, but we'll try.

Tony

Working on a Dutch themed layout where a class 11 would be the most appropriate shunter:

https://nl.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/NS_500#/media/Bestand%3ASGB_521_in_Goes.jpg

Approx. ten of them were bought from the war department after ww2 and it became the standard shunter here in Holland. NS (Netherlands Railways) had 125 of them, all from English Electric.

If the kit is not available I'll try to scratch build a class 200:

https://nl.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sik_(locomotor)#/media/Bestand%3ALoc_NS_288.jpg

Working on a Dutch themed layout where a class 11 would be the most appropriate shunter:

https://nl.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/NS_500#/media/Bestand%3ASGB_521_in_Goes.jpg

Approx. ten of them were bought from the war department after ww2 and it became the standard shunter here in Holland. NS (Netherlands Railways) had 125 of them, all from English Electric.

If the kit is not available I'll try to scratch build a class 200:

https://nl.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sik_(locomotor)#/media/Bestand%3ALoc_NS_288.jpg

My recollection is that the NS locos weren't identical to the BR ones even if they looked superficially similar. In particular I think that the cab roof shape was different (from the EE standard) on the BR ones in order to fit the restrictive BR loading gauge better. If I am right, I suspect that it would be possible to modify a model based on the BR 08 during construction to better represent the NS locos.