2mm Products and Queries

Llangerisech

1 hour ago, Nigelcliffe said:

Though I've done a lot of the work on these, I don't have a drawing to hand, Alan Smith may have one as he sourced the axles.  

The axles are 1.5mm diameter, with a flange on them.  The flange is nominally 0.4mm thick and ~2.5mm diameter.  The stub axle to the wheel side is 1.1mm long, thus requiring a 0.2mm recess in the rear of a normal 1.3mm thick wheel.

When making the 3D prints, the printed axle hole is 1.4mm and bored out using carefully selected drills.  We tried printing at exact size, and results were not good enough on wobble/concentricity.  

Hope that helps.   

Longer article with some drawings needs writing for the magazine, I hope to do that in the next couple of weeks.

- Nigel  

Thanks Nigel.

That helps lots. I would be specifically interested in what tolerance has been applied to bit of the axle that fits the wheel. As I am sure you know, this is important to get the right fit onto a wheel.

Julia.

8 minutes ago, -missy- said:

Thanks Nigel.

That helps lots. I would be specifically interested in what tolerance has been applied to bit of the axle that fits the wheel. As I am sure you know, this is important to get the right fit onto a wheel.

Julia.

You need Alan's drawing/order to the CNC firm who made them for that detail. 

Nigel.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Nigelcliffe said:

You need Alan's drawing/order to the CNC firm who made them for that detail. 

Nigel.

Dear Nigel,

Does the CNC batching of the axles, mean that this method of wheel construction won't be available for the extended axle drivers?

(Says he eyeballing for a set of 6 or 7mm wheels - to file pinpoints and stick under the Dapol 22)

Chris.

8 minutes ago, MinerChris said:

Dear Nigel,

Does the CNC batching of the axles, mean that this method of wheel construction won't be available for the extended axle drivers?

(Says he eyeballing for a set of 6 or 7mm wheels - to file pinpoints and stick under the Dapol 22)

Chris.

Alan and I have extended axles on the "to do" list, so the option may be there eventually.  But its a long "to do" list to work down.

With an accurate lathe, you could modify these wheels by drilling a 1mm hole along the end of the axle and inserting half a wagon axle, with its pinpoint. 

- Nigel

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, -missy- said:

Thanks Nigel.

Julia.

For Julia and anyone else interested, this is the spec for the axles on the new wheels. I hope to make these available in the shop fairly soon.

Loco Wheel Axle 2020 onward.pdf

Edited by Yorkshire Square
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

• 1 month later...

I have an old Farish chassis that has been converted to 2mm by the previous owner, the wheels are plastic spoked, with a full length brass axle. Everything's fine, except the crankpins are approximately 0.625mm in diameter, instead of the 0.5mm. Not fancing my chances of reaming out the crankpin washers from the association etch, I wonder if there are commercially available washers/etc. ? The crank pins are not threaded either, so I'm a little confused if they are a farish product?. The rods themselves seem to be fairly delicate half-etched fishbelly shaped, out of NS or very thin steel.

Coil some fine copper wire round a No 73 drill (0.64mm dia) and cut off slices of the coil for crankpin washers. That's how all mine are made, though using a finer drill.

Jim

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 3 weeks later...

Great to see the range of decals growing. I've been using the LNER ones extensively and have now run out of the small font LNER branding. I've noticed that these are currently TOS and wondered if I might make a request for the next batch?

While the decals are of excellent quality, the 'GUARD' branding is about twice the size it should be. As this needs to fit within a upper door panel, this is slightly disappointing (the only thing). I wonder if it might be possible to have the artwork altered to correct this on future batches?

Many thanks (sorry to be a pain).

9 hours ago, Atso said:

Great to see the range of decals growing. I've been using the LNER ones extensively and have now run out of the small font LNER branding. I've noticed that these are currently TOS and wondered if I might make a request for the next batch?

While the decals are of excellent quality, the 'GUARD' branding is about twice the size it should be. As this needs to fit within a upper door panel, this is slightly disappointing (the only thing). I wonder if it might be possible to have the artwork altered to correct this on future batches?

Many thanks (sorry to be a pain).

Hi

The LNER decals may be some time coming back into stock. They were passed to the Association as excess stock from a member’s own project. The printer for these is no longer in business, so we will need to find a new manufacturer (once we’ve located the artwork). Thanks for the comments on the Guard branding, we’ll see if we can accommodate that in any future prints.

2 hours ago, Yorkshire Square said:

Hi

The LNER decals may be some time coming back into stock. They were passed to the Association as excess stock from a member’s own project. The printer for these is no longer in business, so we will need to find a new manufacturer (once we’ve located the artwork). Thanks for the comments on the Guard branding, we’ll see if we can accommodate that in any future prints.

Thank you for letting me know. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you are able to locate the artwork.

If I can add a plea for some second class door numbers to be added (as used on the quad sets and a few other services until 1938ish) as well, that would be wonderful.

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, MrSimon said:

Whats a stepped metric gear muff?  I can’t find it on the shop 3 list, does it have a different name?

A stepped metric gear muff must refer to 3-102a. It has a section 3.0mm for a metric gear, and then steps out to 1/8" for an imperial gear. A typical use would be if you had an imperial worm set and metric spur gears.

Does that make sense from the context?

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, MrSimon said:

Hi all,

Whats a stepped metric gear muff?  I can’t find it on the shop 3 list, does it have a different name?

Many thanks 

Simon

Hello Simon,

If it's for the Dapol Ivatt chassis, you need the metric gear muff 3-102b assuming you are using all metric gears. If you had an imperial worm gear set, then you'd need 3-102a as Nick explained. I'm sure the 3-102bs were once described as 'stepped' eve though there was no 'step'.

Nig H

• RMweb Premium

Thanks both - it’s for the L&Y chassis, I was going to use the 3-367 30:1 gear set and the two metric spur gears, would I be ok with just a standard gear muff as they’re all metric?

Thanks again

Simon

25 minutes ago, MrSimon said:

Thanks both - it’s for the L&Y chassis, I was going to use the 3-367 30:1 gear set and the two metric spur gears, would I be ok with just a standard gear muff as they’re all metric?

Thanks again

Simon

Simon,

No - the 3:367 is an imperial gearset (with a 1/8" bore) so you'll need the 3-102a muffs to take that and one of the metric spur gears as Nick has described.

Andy

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Andy!

I think because the description for the gearset says gear 1/8” bore worm 1.5mm bore I saw the mm and assumed the whole thing was metric... 

Cheers

Simon

• 6 months later...
6 minutes ago, Yorkshire Square said:

IMPORTANT - SHOP CLOSURE

Please note that SHOP 3 will be closed with immediate effect and for the foreseeable future. We cannot provide any further information at this point, but will keep you updated.

Tony Simms - Sales Officer

I sincerely hope Steve is ok!

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• 5 months later...

Hi.

These might be of interest to the avid collectors of tiny motors....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/0612-6mm-12mm-DC-12V-45000RPM-High-Speed-Mini-Tiny-Coreless-Motor-DIY-Toy-Model/252447876925

I got some through the post a short while ago and on initial inspection, they seem nice little motors. Its hard to ignore them at that price!

Julia :)

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3