BR Catering Training Unit

Nigel N

Hi all!

I am looking for some information on a couple of the coaches that made up the Catering Training Unit that was, at one time based at Marylebone.....

I was looking to make a model of it, or something similar!

I have photo's and details of two of the MK1 coaches used (TDB 975323 & TDB 975324, but there were also other vehicles including a pair of coaches as seen in this photo......

Does anyone have any other photo's or further info, such as numbers or livery???

Am I right in guessing these are Stanier design ex LMS???

Thanks in advance for any help

-Nigel

post-26008-0-97616500-1522146412_thumb.jpg

post-26008-0-86574400-1522146425.jpg

Do we know for sure that the other two are to do with the Catering Training? Could they just be parked in the same place? T

he photos of the Mk1 vehicles on departmentals.com don't show the other coaches, in fact there seems to be a 12T van next to one of them at http://www.departmentals.com/photo/975324-1

Do we know for sure that the other two are to do with the Catering Training? Could they just be parked in the same place? T

he photos of the Mk1 vehicles on departmentals.com don't show the other coaches, in fact there seems to be a 12T van next to one of them at http://www.departmentals.com/photo/975324-1

The caption for the B&W photo said the train was passing, rather than parked up as per the Departmentals photo's, could be a stock move including non related coaches I guess, but there is something written in the middle of the rear coach???

Hmm, don't know. The stock move theory sounds entirely plausible.

I had a look in some old (early 80s) Platform 5 departmentals books, and while the DB975xxx catering training vehicels were listed, I couldn't see anything catering-related in the DM series of vehicles (assuming those are ex-LMS).

Can't make anything of the lettering on them from your photo.

Don't know where that photo was taken, but the RCTS list of preserved coaches (PDF at https://www.rcts.org.uk/features/carriages/iudepartlm%202017.pdf)has an entry for 

"CORRIDOR THIRD TK
Lot no: 71 Builder: Derby Diagram: 1695 Period: 1 Built: 1924 Seats: 64T bogied
024744 395498 1295 1371 Old Oak Common T&RSMD Staff & Dormitory Coach Originally at Marylebone
(my bold) - I wonder if just maybe the photo depicts a clearout from Marylebone, and this one just happens to have been preserved and therefore recorded on that list?
Perhaps someone with a better knowledge of LMS coaches could say of the description above matches the photo.

Hmm, don't know. The stock move theory sounds entirely plausible.

I had a look in some old (early 80s) Platform 5 departmentals books, and while the DB975xxx catering training vehicels were listed, I couldn't see anything catering-related in the DM series of vehicles (assuming those are ex-LMS).

Can't make anything of the lettering on them from your photo.

Don't know where that photo was taken, but the RCTS list of preserved coaches (PDF at https://www.rcts.org.uk/features/carriages/iudepartlm%202017.pdf)has an entry for 

"CORRIDOR THIRD TK
Lot no: 71 Builder: Derby Diagram: 1695 Period: 1 Built: 1924 Seats: 64T bogied
024744 395498 1295 1371 Old Oak Common T&RSMD Staff & Dormitory Coach Originally at Marylebone
(my bold) - I wonder if just maybe the photo depicts a clearout from Marylebone, and this one just happens to have been preserved and therefore recorded on that list?
Perhaps someone with a better knowledge of LMS coaches could say of the description above matches the photo.

Thanks for that, what you say is a distinct possibility, there is no exact date on the photo, it just says "Marylebone late 70's"

As you mentioned on one of the "Departmentals"  site photo, there is a 12 ton van next to one of the training coaches, and I I remember correctly, another MK1 coach beyond that??

• RMweb Gold

I don't think this train is passing, or in motion at all, but the photo is probably taken from a passing train on the down main.  The location looks like the milk sidings on the up side of the station, which were at a higher level as the main line dropped down the gradient for the final approach to the terminus.  

It is impossible to say i the two older coaches are coupled and part of the training set, but no doubt someone on the site will come up with the goods.  I would have thought that they were in departmental service, though, as the one mk1 attached to the restaurant car would have been sufficient for training purposes.  But I am not claiming any of this to be definitively correct, just my opinion FWIW.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 2