Dapol O gauge 64xx/74xx

Ardglen

Hi all,

I have just been looking at photos of the new Dapol 64xx/74xx panniers, particularly 7411 in GWR green. The photos that I have seen show the locomotive fitted with top feed and a smokebox door mounted number plate.

While I am no expert I was under the impression that the numberplate was an addition made during BR days.

Is this an oversight made during production or did GWR locomotives have these plates fitted?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Andrew

Hi all,

I have just been looking at photos of the new Dapol 64xx/74xx panniers, particularly 7411 in GWR green. The photos that I have seen show the locomotive fitted with top feed and a smokebox door mounted number plate.

While I am no expert I was under the impression that the numberplate was an addition made during BR days.

Is this an oversight made during production or did GWR locomotives have these plates fitted?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Andrew

Andrew,

According to The Pannier Papers No 7, 7430-7449 were built from new with top-feed apparatus.  The remaining 74XXs were and most of the 64XXs were retro-fitted with top-feed. However, you need to look at photographs. 6411 was photographed at Pontypridd in 1951 and 6410 in BR black with early BR crest without top-feeds. The smokebox numberplate is a British Railways fitting. 

Regards,

Charles

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Andrew

Photos seem to back up your thesis. I did find one photo of a GW 6400 that seems to have a smokebox numberplate.

Numberplates were fitted fairly quickly after nationalisation but some less prestigious engines (like tank engines) had to wait some years before their old livery was obliterated. This loco thus represents early BR condition rather than late GWR.

Photos seem to back up your thesis. I did find one photo of a GW 6400 that seems to have a smokebox numberplate.

7417 was  photographed wearing "GWR" serif lettering at Aberystwyth in 1951 and, amazingly, 7428 was still wearing "GWR" in 1964, also at Aberystwyth. Both locos had the BR smokebox and shedcode plates. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Has anyone bought the BR lined green 64XX? Does it have the curved transition from cab to bunker - there are a few retailers photos up showing 6439 with the right angle join which I thought was the 74XX cab?

Edited by Hal Nail

Has anyone bought the BR lined green 64XX? Does it have the curved transition from cab to bunker - there are a few retailers photos up showing 6439 with the right angle join which I thought was the 74XX cab?

I believe the 74xx style is also correct for the final 10 members of the 6400 class (6430-39).

http://www.gwr.org.uk/no-64xx.html

Look at the photo of 6430.

6430a.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, I have. Arrived just today. Have a look at the pictures. It's not the curved transition you asked for but that's totally correct for the chosen No. 6439. The angled style was introduced with Nos. 6430-39 and 7400-49.

Dapol_6439_02sm.jpg

Dapol_6439_03sm.jpg

Edited by suomen
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Smokebox number plates, as well as shedcode plates, were easily attached in the sheds between duties and did not require workshop visits, hence they appeared very quickly indeed after nationalisation.  Don't forget some would have had red backgrounds, along with number and name plates on GW engines, on black or lined black liveried locos until about 1951, some obviously surviving longer awaiting works repaints.

• RMweb Premium

I'm interested in how the running qualities of Dapol's 74XX compare to their 57XX. Any ideas? I had a vague idea that the 74XX had a band drive, or something like that. Also, how running compares with a Minerva 57XX.

I'm thinking of a project where slow-speed shunting is dominant.

Cheers

Nigel

Edited by NCB

Hi,

AFAICT the Lionheart (LH) Panniers ran well with a few duds from new (acceptable failure rates?).

So there are some question marks over the Dapol 64xx and 74xx locos, in terms of reliability and build quality. In addition of course they use a different drive system to most other locos.

After a time some (LH) get noisy. And AFAICT, such is due to a lack of lubrication (and/or using appropriate oils/grease).

I have the Dapol 74xx, with DCC decoder, and that comes with additional instructions on how to run-in and the pre run-in lubrication guidelines (with additional oiling around at 100 hrs).

According to Dapol the gears will be noisy until run-in at medium speed in both directions for 90 mins or so. These instructions are on an additional sheet to the main instructions and recommend light oiling before running-in and then at 100 hrs.

I have seen these locos (LH versions) operating faultlessly at exhibitions and at ultra low speeds too.

As I say I have also known of those after use (LH versions) running noisily and erratically.

I hope to oil up and run-in mine, in the near future, when time permits.

My Minerva Pannier ran smoothly and with minimal noise straight from the box at low and medium speeds. I have yet to use the loco at line speeds, but no drama is expected.

Hope that helps?

ATVB

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

So there are some question marks over the Dapol 64xx and 74xx locos, in terms of reliability and build quality.

ATVB

CME

Hi CME,

Thanks for the useful summary but this comment seems slightly out of context with everything else you’ve said which seems pretty positive? Am I missing something?

Cheers

Ian

Hi CME,

Thanks for the useful summary but this comment seems slightly out of context with everything else you’ve said which seems pretty positive? Am I missing something?

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian,

I hoped I was being balanced in my comments, suffice to say I have three Dapol locos, two of those have had faults, faults that relate to little or no quality control (QC), so that is why I mentioned that the 64xx and 74xx is an unknown.

The LH versions were a lot more expensive, of course that could be due to initial set up costs and BEPs etc and it could be more due to more rigorous QC etc etc. The Dapol version, after being purchased by Dapol and presumably BEP and profits achieved, tooling paid for under LH etc etc, is shall we say, more cost effective, and is thus an unknown...hope that clarifies my POV.

ATVB

CME

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi all!

Some days ago I bought  this wonderful locomotive and I am happy with it. What I miss are lamps. Does anyone know if this loco had any lamps installed or not?
I looked for some photos but hardly see anyone. Probably it is my fault.

If yes, where to buy specific lamps?

Would be happy if I could get your support.

Thank you!

Bernd

Hi all!

Some days ago I bought  this wonderful locomotive and I am happy with it. What I miss are lamps. Does anyone know if this loco had any lamps installed or not?

I looked for some photos but hardly see anyone. Probably it is my fault.

If yes, where to buy specific lamps?

Would be happy if I could get your support.

Thank you!

Bernd

Are you enquiring about Lanterns? Those are available from various suppliers...

Bernd, if you search on "loco lamps" you'll find what you need.  If it is for a Great Western loco you need the ones with the bracket at the side not the back.  Springside and Modelu sell the correct type.  Depending on the period you are modelling they should be painted red or white.  Hope this helps.

Ray.

I use ModelU lamps nowadays. Owners of the Minerva 57XX/8750 pannier can get an exclusive 20% discount on ModelU lamps. 

CK

Does that apply to existing / new or all Chris ?

Grahame