GWR to operate Hex

At least one 332 is a spares supply already.

The imminently available 707s and 458s are probably a more attractive option for most potential EMU users, and that's without thinking of what will soon become available from Anglia.

• RMweb Gold

Going back to something Zomboid said,  a while back,   I thought the Acton incline to the WLL was indeed to be wired,  after all it isn't vary far, or was this cancelled amidst all the other cancellations?

It has been included in at least two schemes over the years.  The first time, as part of the HEX scheme, it didn't happen because of the A40 bridge above )insufficient clearance for the wires) and a gas main underneath (too near theh surface to allow track lowering under the A40 bridge.  But the A40 bridge was later rebuilt (because of its condition, not specifically for railway purposes)  and according to what was said at the time the new one gives sufficient clearance for the wires.  

i believe that wiring the bank was then mentioned in connection with the various works listed for Crossrail/GWML but again it hasn't happened.  But, probably more importantly, the provision of new masts and booms instead of headspans from Acton to Airport Junction hasn't really happened either except in odd lots here and there and often as result of other works rather than what was promised as throughout campaign of upgrading.

That makes sense if you compare the 45 set strong  387 fleet GWR is saying it has compared with the original order which was, I believe, for 56 sets although part of that was an option which might not have been exercised.  Then allow for the 45 strong fleet to cover 41 diagrams which gives a rather low level of availability for a modern EMU and taking one set out of the 45 might make mathematical sense if the figure of 56 is correct.  

That would still leave GWR with sufficient 387s to cover Newbury plus 769s taking some of that as well.

Apologies if I've misunderstood, but the HEx 387s come from the existing fleet of 45.

Going back to something Zomboid said,  a while back,   I thought the Acton incline to the WLL was indeed to be wired,  after all it isn't vary far, or was this cancelled amidst all the other cancellations?

It's one of various electrification schemes, such as Oxford and the Thames Valley branches, deferred to CP6 and awaiting a decision on their future.

Edited by Christopher125

• RMweb Gold

Apologies if I've misunderstood, but the HEx 387s come from the existing fleet of 45.

That could be interesting as the current (almost by now) fleet of 45 sets have 41 diagrams to cover according to GWR's MD a week or two back.  The only ones which will become surplus as those working Paddington - Hayes and they are earmarked (or were) for the Newbury line.    So will 679s - if they ever happen - replace 387s on Newbury, and other workings, and where have the rest of the GWML order of 387s got to to or have they been cancelled?

I doubt if the postponement' of Oxford electrification and what amounts to cancellation of the Thames Valley branches would release 11 sets as the branches, if Basinsgtoke is included, would account for no more than four which would leave 6 plus one for maintenance cover coming from Oxford workings and the Oxford figure sounds rather high at 6.  Which still leaves the other 11 unaccounted for.

That could be interesting as the current (almost by now) fleet of 45 sets have 41 diagrams to cover according to GWR's MD a week or two back.  The only ones which will become surplus as those working Paddington - Hayes and they are earmarked (or were) for the Newbury line.    So will 679s - if they ever happen - replace 387s on Newbury, and other workings, and where have the rest of the GWML order of 387s got to to or have they been cancelled?

I doubt if the postponement' of Oxford electrification and what amounts to cancellation of the Thames Valley branches would release 11 sets as the branches, if Basinsgtoke is included, would account for no more than four which would leave 6 plus one for maintenance cover coming from Oxford workings and the Oxford figure sounds rather high at 6.  Which still leaves the other 11 unaccounted for.

Won't the sets working Paddington-Reading also become surplus with Crossrail taking over most or all Reading trains? Four more 345s are planned on top of the 65 on order and 1 already to be added. That would leave only Paddington-Didcot/Oxford (when/if wired) and Paddington-Newbury for 387s, and the Reading-Newbury locals could go to 769s along with Reading-Basingstoke (no longer being wired) and the Henley branch, leaving Turbos for Marlow, Windsor and Greenford where I believe platforms won't take a 4-car unit. 800s will work the Paddington-Bedwyn trains and the Oxford fasts. Also, don't forget the 6 387s currently working out of Fenchurch Street, which are only there temporarily. 

• RMweb Gold

The 387s earmarked for HEX services will be from the current fleet of 45. (387130-141 are being touted as the HEX converts).

So it won't happen for quite some time then.  Otherwise GWR will be left with 34 sets to cover 41 diagrams.  It will be informative to see some details of all this especially when you consider that GWR still intend two two trains per hour serving some intermediate stations east of reading once Crossrail is in operation (although no doubt at least one of these will be to/from Didcot. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

This is from another forum and a post from a user who is evidently a GWR insider. From previous posts and knowledge of current issues, then it would appear (to me at least) to be someone relatively quite senior or very close to the action.

“……The current plan, once the 387 conversion run is in full swing, is 769 in on Turbo diagram, Turbo to 387 diagram, 387 to conversion.

Pair of 387 converted, take out a pair of 332 diagrams. That takes most of 2019 to achieve.

Then once enough 769 are delivered and the full Crossrail timetable is in, Turbos go West.”

As you can see, it’s not going to be an overnight transition and involves a bit of a unit/diagram merry-go-round!

Edited by Banger Blue

Also some replacement of 4-car (minimum) 387 diagrams by 3-car, or maybe even 2-car, 165/166 sets; That's going to go down well in the Thames Valley ! Hopefully the situation will not last for too long (pity the same cannot be said about electric working to Oxford). 

• RMweb Gold

Also some replacement of 4-car (minimum) 387 diagrams by 3-car, or maybe even 2-car, 165/166 sets; That's going to go down well in the Thames Valley ! Hopefully the situation will not last for too long (pity the same cannot be said about electric working to Oxford). 

Already provoking adverse comment on the local Branch User Group (BUG).  Plus someone  (no, not me) suggesting that it might mean the branch set being reduced from 3 cars to 2 which will really bring on the pains from commuters who them have to spend their entire journey standing.   It will be interesting to see what response their various questions are going to get from Mark Hopwood. 

• RMweb Gold

For those who have never seen or been on the HEX.....

I can thoroughly recommend it as a 'quality' service - excellent way to get to the airport if it fits your travel plans and routes (oh, and if you can afford it of course).  it will be interesting to see what gets done to the 387s but I think they're pretty good starting point - hard seat cushions apart.

• 6 months later...

Does anybody know what are the ticketing arrangements now if GWR is in charge? Still the very high fares?

As an ex-BR employee I have the reduced rate travel on HEX but I stopped using them earlier this year when I was told that a reduced rate business class fare was no longer available. Getting from Heathrow to St Pancras on the tube takes about the same time (unless you are lucky and get a HEX from Heathrow immediately) and if travelling from terminal 2, a lot less walking.

• RMweb Premium

Does anybody know what are the ticketing arrangements now if GWR is in charge? Still the very high fares?

As an ex-BR employee I have the reduced rate travel on HEX but I stopped using them earlier this year when I was told that a reduced rate business class fare was no longer available. Getting from Heathrow to St Pancras on the tube takes about the same time (unless you are lucky and get a HEX from Heathrow immediately) and if travelling from terminal 2, a lot less walking.

I don't think anything has changed on that side of things. GWR is just running the operational side.of the house.

• RMweb Gold

I don't think anything has changed on that side of things. GWR is just running the operational side.of the house.

That is my understanding too.

Presumably you can use an Oyster Card on the Heathrow Connect stopping trains now they are operated by LUL - but they are of course somewhat slower than HEX.

That is my understanding too.

Presumably you can use an Oyster Card on the Heathrow Connect stopping trains now they are operated by LUL - but they are of course somewhat slower than HEX.

Thank you. I did use the Connect service earlier in the year using my staff Oyster but the whole St Pancras Heathrow journey using Connect is definitely slower than the Tube. Edited by david.hill64

• RMweb Gold

A partial answer to my own question: from 11 November, holders of staff Oyster cards can use them on HEX services. Still haven't found out about the business class option (if any).

There's an update to that information (and in any case what they do is secure a 75% on single fares, the prices given only refer to Standard Class single fares) and it is now planned to be introduced from 25 November, not the 11th.  Interestingly the reference is to Priv Oyster cards and there is no mention of status Oyster cards although I presume the same applies to them?  Status passes and Staff Travel card boxes still won't be accepted on HEX (so no change there) but can be used on Heathrow Connect as now operated by TfL (effectively no change there either).

So depending on what travel  facilities you have there will now be a wider range of choice in how much you will pay, or not pay, to get from Paddington to LHR, and back.