Brixton Hill tram depot and its Trams

thirty2a

Now how do I find an excuse to reply to Phillip on Cardiff's trams when there is no direct link!!!   We have already mentioned the American 'Stepless' design that found its way into 'Cissie'.   The hobble skirt was the post-WW1 fashion here as well as the States with its problem of getting on and off tramcar platforms.   Brush looked at the concept and got ideas on how, with smaller diameter wheels and a redesigned underframe, to reduce the platform height and thus that of the lower saloon of the traditional British tram culminating in a much reduced overall height tramcar.   The result was a standard style that was found in Cardiff, Swansea, Salford and some other systems.   To date no one has made a kit or RTR of them.   So I will make mention to see if there is a demand.   Off the top of my head the Swansea car in the Tram Shed museum is one of these cars - in fact I think it is the only one preserved.  

• Informative/Useful 2

Tower E/1 kit - part 5 - upper deck conductors windows.   In the lower photo in part 3,  on the fourth end from the left, you will see a small diameter hole above the destination box.   I omitted to remind that at this stage it is best to drill it for the trolley rope pigtail.   Now on to a major flawed part.   The conductors windows finish the window sections on the upper deck ends.   If the conductor was upstairs when the car stopped to set-down or pick-up then he/she could lean out and look down to give the driver OK to proceed with two blasts on the 'pea' whistle as there were no bell pushes upstairs.   The top sprue in the attached photo is of one of the two that come in the kit but just look carefully at the two conductors windows left of centre in the 'middle lane' - they are both the same way round!!!   When Brian took over the kits he produced the bottom sprue and at the right of its 'middle lane' will be seen the improved left and hand replacements.   If two replacement sprues are not in your kit then I recommend you email him at the address on his BEC-KITS site to find out if they are still available and at what price.   I suspect he may be away for another month.   Regretfully there is no other easy way round the problem.   

Upper deck conductors window.jpg

Tower E/1 kit - part 6 - lower deck bulkheads.   Now to another flawed part but one that can be improved with surgery.   In the top row of the the attached photo, the first from the left is the actual Kit bulkhead next to which is what it should have looked like.   The third piece shows that the windows have been enlarged as close as possible, the window bar added to the door window and card used to improve other areas.   Then the fourth shows the LPTB painting style while the fifth is that of the LTE.   Used ticket box, MSC licence plate and changeover switch box additions will be the subject of an item on the differences of the ends A and B.   The lower row shows improvement to the rear of the altered pieces.   The first from the left is partly painted to suit an interior cover but otherwise the whole needs to be painted.   The second has the glazing in position.   For open fronted cars it is clear but tinted for windscreen fitted cars to defuse the saloon lighting reflection on the driver's glass.   I used exposed camera film for the tinted glazing.   Finally an interior cover was added from the rescaled Alphagraphix E/1 card kit. 

Lower deck bulkheads.jpg

• Like 4

Fare charts, as I call them, are a feature in first generation London trams by law.   In part 6 one is shown in place in the last piece in the photo.   These charts only appeared at one end.   A LPTB/LTE advert usually appeared in that space at the other end.   I wonder if I am the only one who includes these in a 4mm. scale model!!!   Another feature required by law, but one I am not adding just under the stairs, is the metal 'pocket' that contained the LPTB/LTE byelaws and Conditions of Carriage.   When I got on a 38 at Westminster on the last day I asked the conductress if I could have the booklet.   The reply was "What goes with the tram stays with the tram!!!".   Well, it was not on the car when I left it at Abbey Wood and walked to the depot!

• Funny 1

Welcome to our midst, John.   Many thanks for this view.   If anyone wonders how a MET Type E single decker got in London Road then yes in reality two did.   John has this one as the West Croydon - Wallington extra working and at times the prototypes did transfer across between Station and Tamworth Roads.   It is this E Type that whilst terminating one day in Tamworth Road got hit from behind by a speeding Bombardier to finish up in Station Road!!!

• Funny 1

Tower E/1 kit - part 3 - upper deck ends (continued).   I could not believe that I had missed out the easiest and, for at least two of you, the most important variant!!!   But first within the number ranges I gave, cars 989, 1081, 1120 and 1235 can only be modelled as per the kit in LCC original livery.   In the late 1920's their top decks were destroyed beyond economic repair by accidents so received the then new Alpax (E/3 style) ones.   It is believed that the last car mentioned was used to test front-exit operation as designed to be a new Class E/2 variant.   Whilst this worked on newly constructed cars like the Felthams and rebuilds in other cities, it did not find favour with the LCC.

The attached view shows the missing variant where the side vent window is removed completely.   The addition of the large service number stencil holder was fitted experimentally to cars1056, 1236, 1547 and 1578, a design that was to be standard for all new cars prior to Bluebird in 1932.   Cars 1056, 1547 and 1578 definitely received 'reflected light' outside mounted holders on the top panel of the destination boxes to light the destination blind below.   Certainly in LPTB days, 1056 had received a replacement K-ray box at one end.   Incidentally, it was this car that was chartered for two consecutive days in 1934 to convey Clapham school children for a day out at Hampton Court.   It would have had the 26 stencil up to alert the Hammersmith Broadway pointsman and either PRIVATE or SPECIAL on its blinds but may not have received the LT fleet name yet.   Streatham depot's 1236 in LPTB days had a '3-code' panelled box at one end and a K-ray one the other.   All these cars were open fronted but only 1236 survived into the war years.   1236 was ousted by the Felthams in 1938 but having  received windscreens was transferred to New Cross.   It was last photographed in this condition with wartime embellishments at Lee Green in 1941 whilst on service 46.   So this car makes an ideal wartime E/1 variant.

Upper deck ends d.jpg

• Like 2

Sorry, an error crept in the part 3 continuation.   Car 1235 did not have an accident so did not get an Alpax top cover.   During the Class E/2 experiments it kept its original top deck.   Thus 1235 should appear with its Streatham stable mate 1236 until 1938.

Just spotted an excellent single trolley roof view of a Brixton Hill bound 16 about to merge in with the traffic coming off Blackfriars Bridge pre-WW2.   Note the fleet number on the white painted roof.   In those days the Rolling Stock Engineer's office was located above the tracks in Camberwell Depot so roof numbers speeded up his attention to cars in trouble!   Seems 1235, 1236 and 1239 were in a batch sequence of numbered cars at Streatham depot at this time.

LPTB 1239 blackfriars bridge.jpg

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

Tower E/1 kit - part 7 - upper deck seats and pigtails.    In part 4 was shown the upper deck floor with painted stairwell partitions and seats in place.   A quick experiment to see the result of using (and cutting to fit) the scaled down Alphagraphix E/1 and Rehab card kit seats has resulted in the attached views.   The top one shows the fronts of slatted wooden seats of the E/1 plus the rears of the upholstered Rehab seats.   The bottom one is the same but from the other direction.   However, the time and effort may not be so rewarding with the wooden seats but more so for the colourful upholstered ones.   Just a thought as I may use the upholstered pattern in the ex-Croydon E/1s planned.

In part 3, pigtails were mentioned.   Whilst easiest at this stage to drill the retaining holes for scratch-built pigtails bent from wire, the prior decision on a prototype to be modelled is critical.   There are four possible locations;  three on the vertical centre line of the upper deck ends between the windows and the destination boxes, whilst on a few, it can be on the cant rail to the right of the destination box.   Whilst pigtail location was usually the same at both ends, there were exceptions so beware!!!   Having photographs is a must and a challenge to find those showing both sides and ends in between the same overhaul period.   Unlikely in the LPTB period but highly likely in LTE days as so many photographs were taken.   So I strongly recommend the following collection as a very good search start.

<www.tramwayinfo.com>.   Click 'T.L.R.S.', then click 'info' followed by 'A.J.Wills London Trams'.   Once there click 'Search Photographic Database' (also recommend you read the Notes mentioned), then 'Search for a Class of Car'.   Then you have a choice of 'E1' (478 views), 'CCT E1' (81 views) and 'EH' (29 views).   If you still cannot find what you want then please do not hesitate to ask at574918710_UpperdeckseatsE1.jpg.a4949008796a797a6be241ac4ab15703.jpg <feltham2099@hotmail,co.uk>.

Upper deck seats E1R.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, coline33 said:

KW Trams have just released, through the website, mech MEMT16 to power 4' wheel-base maximum-traction trucks such as the Brill 22E.

I just measured the wheel base of the MT trucks in the Tower Models E1 kits and found it to be about 17.5 mm.  (about 4 ft 4 in ). I'm not familiar with the prototype, Is that correct?

Andy

Andy, what became the standard London maximum-traction truck was 4'6" wheel-base for which KW Trams provide the correct 18mm. mech.   The Brill 22E was found on LCC Class A, most LUT Types, Croydon Class B2 and Erith's bogie cars.   Colin.

On 30/06/2020 at 11:27, coline33 said:

Andy, what became the standard London maximum-traction truck was 4'6" wheel-base for which KW Trams provide the correct 18mm. mech.   The Brill 22E was found on LCC Class A, most LUT Types, Croydon Class B2 and Erith's bogie cars.   Colin.

Thanks for the clarification. I was afraid I'd built my trucks wrong.

Andy

Andy, when it comes to the London bogie truck sides, be they maximum-traction or equal wheel, they are well illustrated on KW Trams accessories page and are dimensionally correct for the Classes and Types mentioned and of course fit their mechs.!   A set of 4' w/b mechs arrived today so I can now fit with the Brill 22E  truck sides and continue to finish the Type T balcony car illustrated on 17th June.  Colin.

• Like 1

Brixton Hill's coming on and looks good with the traverser now in situ.   So just two 'siding' tracks to finish before paving starts - another long job for you!

Tower E/1 kit - part 3  upper deck ends (continued).   Attach view of the modified ends before drilling pigtail affixing holes.   The 'plain panelled wooden' box and the K-ray box (this one is covered with an Alphagraphix rescaled part) are destined for 1235 which was always an open fronted platform car in its LPTB days at Streatham depot.   Similarly altered 1236 also at Streatham depot had a 'three-code panelled wooden' box one end (found on the Auxiliary E/1 sprue) and a 'plain panelled wooden' one the other.    

Upper deck ends 1056 etc.jpg

Good work there Colin.

4 hours ago, coline33 said:

So just two 'siding' tracks to finish before paving starts - another long job for you!

Not exactly! Got some wiring to do still and I’m not putting track there.. part of the conversion to bus use ..

• Informative/Useful 1

For some years, David Voice's third and last edition of "How to Go Tram and Tramway Modelling" has only been available second-hand.   It is an ideal book for introducing well tried aspects to small scale modellers on kits, scratch-building, motorising commercial models, track, overhead, etc.   A limited batch of new books has become available at half price and full details for ordering are on-line at <www.tramwayinfo.com/Models/Tlrs/Pubs.htm> 

Tower E/1 kit - part 3 upper deck ends (continued).   The attached view shows the initial preparation of both upper deck ends of car 1236 when the prototype was at Streatham depot in the 1930s.   The left hand end has had its destination box filed flat back to the curve line of the end and is seen with the 'three-code' panelled wooden box front from the E/1 Auxiliary sprue ready to be affixed.   The right hand end has the flush panelled wooden box.    

Upper deck ends 1236.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 17th June (page 8) I referred to the renovation of an unfinished Alphagraphix card kit model of a LPTB Type T.   There not being a 16mm. wheel base maximum traction mech for the Brill 22E trucks, KW Trams fettled an 18mm. w/b m/t mech into one which has now been released on their website.   The following photos show the new mechs with the truck sides.   The two bolsters were discarded as I was to build a 'plug' of which a card prototype was created, as seen on the drawing, to test fit into the renovated lower saloon now having a white painted ceiling, the floor assembly being discarded.   It became obvious that the width of the new mechs prevented the necessary amount of bogie swing within the existing bodywork.   So the Type T not really being needed has been put to one side as per today's view.   In 2001 when scratch-built U 2483 and WT 2406 were purchased and redressed from LUT service 57 to SMET service 7, the only m/t mechs and 22E truck sides were for 18mm. w/b.   With the new 16mm, mechs and truck sides no longer needed for Type T they are going to replace those on U2384 which will also have its trolley pole fittings corrected.   22E trucks of 4'6" w/b were later introduced by Brill but LUT did not build any further cars to require the longer truck.   WT 2406 has only been on "West Croydon" service once and that was the 2001 Festival in London, becoming a reserve car for subsequent Festivals but not needed.   As I did not have any views of 2406, I have just put that right and attached one along with one of 2384 before upgrading.   It should be noted that the 22E truck castings are for their original condition as seen in the drawing.   The LUT later strengthened the frames and added more attachments to them but I shall not go this far! 

LPTB Type T mech 10.7.2020 a.jpg

LPTB Type T mech 10.7.2020 b.jpg

LPTB Type T mech 10.7.2020 c.jpg

LPTB Type T 14.7.2020.jpg

LPTB 2384 14.7.2020 c.jpg

LPTB 2406 13.7.2020 c.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1