Brixton Hill tram depot and its Trams

thirty2a

Tony, what was your dad's name.   Dave I expect would recognise him as I believe he went on to be the Secretary and was with the club longer than I.   I joined upon my return to Thornton Heath from Germany in 1960 moving to Thundersley, Essex in 1963 returning to Selsdon in 1967 and using the 234 bus to Wallington.   When the club lost that lovely house there I left as by 1969 the PLA transferred me from my river trade development role to Tilbury for opening up the container terminals.   Getting home via the single bore Dartford tunnel took much time out of my evenings.

There are not many of us old members left, such as Peter Goddard and very occasionally I come into contact with Mike Skeggs.   Colin.

• Like 1

Hi Colin,

my pops is Steve Parker, I remember Peter he was an instructor on the buses and made a decent home brew! and Mike I have seen exhibiting a few times with the Kew layout and an O gauge layout of which the name escapes me for now..

Dave actually called me 'bug' at Fairfield halls exhibition as dad calls me Ants! Long time ago though so I doubt he will remember.

Tony 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, thirty2a said:

glad you too are catching up, I think my dad would remember you both as he was an old member of the Carshalton and Sutton MRC as was I for a short while back in the day..

Tony

I hope that the depot is recovering after that dental surgery last night Tony.

All the best

Ray

• Funny 1

1 hour ago, thirty2a said:

Great minds think alike Colin! It is very much a work in progress, HO American flat car did not give its life for nothing, also American loco tender has given up its bogies for the project.

Hi Tony.

So you did that after you cam home from the club last night !

Are you on the night shift ?

All the best

Ray

• Funny 1

Just now, thirty2a said:

you know me Ray, always modelling! actually think I need to help Gary out for a bit and get CP up to speed so might have to bring the depot home for a bit and take the SR stuff in to play with.. 

We will hopefully be sorting out the baseboard alignment issues next Tuesday and then making sure all the top surfaces are levelled. up. Paul also has to complete the stools for the point rodding on the tunnel board. The bases for the pavement will also need to be put down on College Road. I will hopefully be having a go at assembling the ground signals, assembling the point levers and frames and completing the rest of the smaller items for the road works scene over the Christmas/New Year period.

In the New Year I will be taking home one board at a time to do the brickwork finishing with tinted varnish, and painting and finishing any bits that have not been done yet. Much easier to work at home where I can spend more time on each session and manipulate the boards to get them into a good working position. I will then lay the paving slabs, kerb stones, gutter stones and rainwater gullies and manhole covers on College Road and paint as required, also progress the road works scene. I will also be doing the ground surface detail in two or three stages. I have all the materials to hand, but need to experiment a bit to get the ideal finish. Gary says that he will have the South end building ready for painting after Christmas as well. I have a stock of the paint, and the building is a bit easier to work on than a 4ft x 3 ft baseboard, so I should be able to progress that fairly quickly.

So I have a few jobs to do......

All the best

Ray

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 19/04/2020 at 15:35, thirty2a said:

Colin when I dig the felthams out I will show you but basically I chopped a brill chassis up and cut it into the feltham chassis not pretty or smart but effective enough 

Any chance of picture or two to show what the chassis chop actually looks like, please?

Thanks,

Kevin

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, thirty2a said:

Work has re started after a break to do some other projects.

hope to do some work on the traverser deck this week..

0E47C1FC-16F3-482E-B323-5A2DE1CC7127.jpeg

2CCD0CAB-0271-4467-A421-3DF9BC850AF9.jpeg

73BAB626-CE52-4B3F-9EEE-11BA45B59788.jpeg

Nice to see that you are still working on it Tony.

Looking at the traverser, are you intending to cover the sleepers ? I think that I can see planking underneath them, so I assume that the answer is no.

An alternatively possibility might have been to solder the rails on to a piece of copper-clad Paxolin. This would have needed to be scored down the centre to electrically isolate the rails, but could also have the planking scribed onto it. I think that Gary did the same for the turntable bridge on Crystal Palace, or may have etched it.

Happy modelling.

All the best

Ray

P.S. Glad to hear that Colin is recovering. 

Edited by wainwright1
Extra info.
  • Thanks 1

morning Ray,

had to do something last night waiting for the boys to turn up!

I will be completely covering the traverser, deck will be planked up to rail level and cosmetic  metal work on the outside covering the sides down to track level as per prototype, well that's the plan anyway..

6 minutes ago, thirty2a said:

morning Ray,

had to do something last night waiting for the boys to turn up!

I will be completely covering the traverser, deck will be planked up to rail level and cosmetic  metal work on the outside covering the sides down to track level as per prototype, well that's the plan anyway..

That sounds good Tony, should look good.

Look forward to seeing it.

All the best

Ray

• Thanks 1

..I should have mentioned an addition I am planning basically a scenic fiddle yard, so Rotherhithe New Road up to Old Kent Road Terminus, join up to depot board in effect meaning they are both Fiddle yard and layout. I am going to be keeping it simple and small either single track terminus to double or single, loop, single..

3 hours ago, thirty2a said:

..I should have mentioned an addition I am planning basically a scenic fiddle yard, so Rotherhithe New Road up to Old Kent Road Terminus, join up to depot board in effect meaning they are both Fiddle yard and layout. I am going to be keeping it simple and small either single track terminus to double or single, loop, single..

Or for inspiration, how about Evelyn Street, where the bridge for the Deptford Wharf Branch crossed the road. The road was very narrow under the bridge, so the tram tracks were interlaced. The bridge would make a nice scenic break and you could have a section of a goods train working its way up to the wharf on the top.

All the best

Ray

• Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, thirty2a said:

Yes Tony, You have it right and do what I had started upon.   RNR terminating at Old Canal Bridge without crossing to reach OKR,   Stub terminal then turns left into depot which I was having as a working museum with extension out the back for the works cars.   The as required museum service was numbered 90 and ran to Surrey Docks/Quays station.   The break point in RNR was the bridge carrying the Southern lines out of London Bridge.   All the best, Colin.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1