Port Carlisle dandy car

While wandering round the NRM the other day I was intrigued by this vehicle. Personally I think it would make a great model, but the thing that I'm really curious about is why it was retained so long (until 1914) instead of going over to loco haulage. I know there was a similar short branch worked by a horse tram in Ireland.

post-33493-0-70587000-1522274447_thumb.jpg

Not got all my reference books but;

NBR had 2 of these, one also worked North Berwick branch (which is unique in having in the following order steam, horse, steam, diesel and finally electric power)

She was last used on Silloth branch and seem to remember was a cricket pavilion for a while, prior to initial first restoration.

Plinthed at Waverley station for many years.

Will try and dig out more over W/E

Edited by DOCJACOB

Not got all my reference books but;

NBR had 2 of these, one also worked North Berwick branch (which is unique in having in the following order steam, horse, steam, diesel and finally electric power)

She was last used on Silloth branch and seem to remember was a cricket pavilion for a while, prior to initial first restoration.

Plinthed at Waverley station for many years.

Will try and dig out more over W/E

Actually, it was plinthed at Carlisle station for many years...

• RMweb Premium

Port Carlisle is one of those sleepy hamlets with a deceptively interesting past. Go there now and it is hard to imagine that it was once quite an important port and connection between the sea and the canal to Carlisle. Not much evidence of either the canal or railway unless you make an effort to look for it although there is more visible evidence of the former port.

While wandering round the NRM the other day I was intrigued by this vehicle. Personally I think it would make a great model, but the thing that I'm really curious about is why it was retained so long (until 1914) instead of going over to loco haulage. I know there was a similar short branch worked by a horse tram in Ireland.

I suspect there's not a lot of video of the Port Carlisle Dandy in action - but the Fintona Tram lasted a bit longer : -

........ while the P.C. horse was called 'Dan', the various horses used at Fintona were invariably called 'Dick' - so it's said - though many were mares !

Here are some photos of the Dandy:

1. I think this is the last day of the horse drawn Dandy at Port Carlisle station

post-19218-0-58311500-1522329688.jpg

2. The first steam train which replaces the Dandy at Port Carlisle station.

post-19218-0-20312900-1522329720.jpg

3. The Dandy displayed at Carlisle station beside platform 5 and 6 before York museum 'nicked' it!

post-19218-0-88592200-1522329791_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Here are some photos of the Dandy:

1. I think this is the last day of the horse drawn Dandy at Port Carlisle station

attachicon.gifPort Carlisle station The dandy.jpg

2. The first steam train which replaces the Dandy at Port Carlisle station.

attachicon.gifPort Carlisle station steam loco.jpg

3. The Dandy displayed at Carlisle station beside platform 5 and 6 before York museum 'nicked' it!

attachicon.gifCarlisle station exhibited the dandy Nr platform 5&6 until it was moved to the N.R.M at York.JPG

Did it go to the 'old' York Museum - or Clapham ?

I believe there was only one which started on the North Leith line before spending a winter on the North Berwick line where it was the cause of a legal dispute as to whether it was a train!It then went to the Port Carlisle line.

I was also led to believe it was plinthed at Edinburgh Waverley but I can't think where it would be!

It was certainly at York long before the present museum opened so it was probably sent there in LNER days.

We might need it back on the North Berwick line soon as cover till the 385s are fully sorted out!

• Like 1