porkie

Milton Grove - N gauge 1985 - 2000 loosely based on the WCML

The idea behind Milton grove is very simular to my previous layout.

I wanted to create a layout with finer track details than the set track I use to use. So I opted to go finscale code 55 as I was unable to run my 08 shunters smoothley over the points on my old layout.

I have never used electrofrog turnouts before or slips so this a new challage for which I am kinda looking forward too in a scarey way.

The layout will have a 3 road TMD and a 2 road heavy repair shop. With a busy mainline running along side

I used anyrail to plan it all out and printed out a full scale plan. Witch made it alot easier to see how it will look and cutt all my track to the correct sizes.

I coloured the rails in on the plan to try and work out where to put feeds and breaks, Which I just cant workout at the moment.

Thanks for looking at my plan

Porkie

post-6906-127084701961_thumb.jpg

Edited by porkie
  • Like 2

Hi Porkie

Love the Track Plan.... Can't wait to see the Progress of the Layout come to life...

What is the actual size of the Layout...? and how many boards will it be built on, and will there be any chance of seeing it at an exhibition...?

Jamie

Thanks for your reply Jamie,

It will be built on two boards 4 x 2ft 8'' giving a total lenght of 8ft and a scenice area of 8 x 1ft 8''. And that leaves room for an 8 x 1ft fiddle yard

As for taking it to shows, I dont think my skills are that good yet. But it all depends on how it will look in the end

Whilst Im waiting for the boards to made..

Its been pointed out that where the mainline enters the depot over the slip and facing turnout is a bit odd.

Ive Had a play around using trailing points to make it look more realisic..

post-6906-127308422585_thumb.jpg

Then I had a crazy idea of turning it in to a 4 track mainline, so I can use the N brass catenary masts.

The only thing Im unsure of,

will a 1'' gap between the mainline and the edge of the base board be ok for signals, masts and relay boxes?

Cheers

Porkie

• Like 1

Looks good so far, my suggestions would be an 1" gap from the edge might be slightly tight but doable, If you were to attach a perspex sheet about 3" to the side of the baseboard it would offer a lot of protection.

Also the scrap siding should be considered more of a depot head shunt, to allow shunting for the loco sidings, and within the depot.

Theres should also be a set of trap/catch points situated between the scrapline and mainline incase any locos try to break for freedom

Really like your plan Porkie, i have always toyed with the idea of doing a TMD like that seperate to what i have already !

Seeing this makes me want to think again !

Looking forward to seeing your ideas progress into reality, i wish you well wink.gif

Cheers,

Graham.

Thanks for your reply Graham,

Their are loads of great TMD layouts on this forum, That made my coggs start turning.

Although It was GrimleyGrids Boxenby Depot thread which gave me the final push biggrin.gif

A quick update:

Here are a few pics of the 2 road heavy repair shop...

Ive just got to add little details like gutterings, roof vents and possibly lighting too.

post-6906-127317869845.jpg

post-6906-127317874117.jpg

• Like 6

Hi Porkie...!

Got to say... its a great looking Loco Shed to put on your Layout...!

How Long in Lengh is it...?

Keep up the photos...

Jamie

That repair shop is great Porkie, you can just picture the heavy crane gantry inside or a 37 up on lifting jacks ! Superb mate wink.gif

And i agree, Boxenby is something else is'nt it ? smile.gif

Cheers,

Graham.

Thanks Graham and Jamie,

I wish I could take all the credit for the depot, But unfortantley I can't.unsure.gif As I had it made for me to my own specs.

The depot is 22cm long x 12cm wide, which gives me loads of room to house a class 60 or 66 inside

Cheers

Porkie

Looks an interesting layout with plenty of operational scope.

That heavy repair shop looks seriously good as well, will the service shed be up to the same standard of build ?

Keep up the good work and the updates coming :D

Cheers

Tim

Thanks Tim,

the person who made the repair shop also made me a 3 bay workshop a last yearsmile.gif ..

heres a quick pic of the 3 bay shed.rolleyes.gif

post-6906-127378186607.jpg

• Like 4

Hi Porkie,

Those buildings look really good and I like your track plan as well. Another suggestion for you is to look at having 3 running lines, you can have the 2 main as originally planned and have the 3rd line as a slow line for freight, light engine movements and even local services, you can still do the scenics to look like it had been a 4 track main line which will give you a bit more space at the front to add in more modern quipment details and that way still use the 4 track gantrys etc - could look wuite good like that. I will look forward to seeing this develop.

Thanks,

Mark

• Like 1

Ive been trying to design a fiddle yard for the new plan but have just ended up with to complex plans...

This is the plan Im going to use, Thanks to Ian's Hatton parkway layout plancool.gif

post-6906-127559103549_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

My new baseboards turned up last night from whiterose worksyahoo_mini.gif ,

I cant fault their build quality. its well worth every penny and simple to assemble.

So I Printed off my plan today and layed each section on the boards to see how it will look.

so here is the end result

post-6906-127635072554_thumb.jpg

post-6906-127635075497_thumb.jpg

And this last pic shows a class 37 on the lift jack Rd in the heavy repair depotbiggrin.gif

post-6906-127635077675_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking

Porkie

• Like 3

Afternoon

This is looking very nice. It definitely captures the feel of a depot and its nice to see its not too crowded.

Watching with interest

Cheers

Mark

Hi

Looking very nice indeed looking forward to seeing lots more progress. Could you fit in a scenecraft washing plant ?.

Just a thought.... jez

Thanks for your replies,

I was thinking of a loco wash Jez but still not 100% sure if it would look right.

robgregson1 my overall baseboard size is 8x2ft 8''

Well I was laying the track down all last nite, I didnt realise that the code 55 is more ridged when flexing than code 80.

I have just run out of additional sleepers to fill the joins.. So here are the latest pics

I couldnt help it. I had to add rolling stock and buildings.tongue.gif

post-6906-12764273673_thumb.jpg

post-6906-127642740299_thumb.jpg

post-6906-127642744631_thumb.jpg

post-6906-127642748498_thumb.jpg

post-6906-127642751777_thumb.jpg

post-6906-127642756574_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Having only just realised this is N, I'm rather excited now! A very decent space, lovely to see a depot not crammed in. I've been tempted to do a much smaller depot just for quick running myself, will be watching with interest

David

Thanks David,

Just changed thread to say its N gauge tooblush_mini.gif

Really nice, especially the 37 on jacks. nice open feel to the whole layout.

Graham.

Looking great. That 3 road shed really fits in well, and considering it's size I'm surprised it looks so lost.

Nice use of space with not too much track crammed in.

You may have given me a new option for my depot area now!

Great work.

Dave

Hi Porkie,

What a superb layout, those shed buildings look excellent. Lots of hours of fun to be had!cool.gif

Love 60006 on the fuelling point and the 37 up on Jacks. I am going to get some of those for my layout, they look really good.

Good work Sir! biggrin.gif

Ive finaly got all my track and points fitted tonight and attached the fiddle yard.

I managed to get a few war wounds in the end of my fingers too from the fish plates cray_mini2.gif ....

Heres how the layout looks at the moment.

Next task is soldering track feeds working out the best places to put issolation breaks chok_mini.gif.

post-6906-127672197768_thumb.jpg

post-6906-127672200804_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking

Porkierolleyes.gif

• Like 5