porkie

Milton Grove - N gauge 1985 - 2000 loosely based on the WCML

I have to say this layout looks very interesting and I will watch it with interest. I hope you do consider taking it "out on the road" because I think that it would certainly provide plenty of interest to those watching and from what I have seen your skills are certainly good enough.

Good luck with this one.

Stephen

What livery are the twenties clothed in?

Thanks Dudley

They are Technical services livery, I think it was around 1993 when they were painted in this colour

I have to say this layout looks very interesting and I will watch it with interest. I hope you do consider taking it "out on the road" because I think that it would certainly provide plenty of interest to those watching and from what I have seen your skills are certainly good enough.

Stephen

Thanks stephen,

Its giving me a head ach at the moment putting power feeds and breaksblink.gif

this is great, wonderful space and really good with the 2 mainlines, gives duel interest rather than just watching locos move up and down a depot, a fantastic example of what can be done in N gauge with great results, look forward to the progress well donerolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif cool.gif

regards

neil

Hi Porkie, who made the 2-Road Repair Shed?? What was it made out of??

Hi Porkie.... Looking very nice, you have shown how to get the best out of N. A Dapol 58 would look at home on this depot!!

keep up the good work,

WOW, this is going to be a cracking little layout cool.gif

Really like how this is coming on. The RTC 20's look awsum (and yes 1993 was the correct year for painting of this pair, also 47972 was also painted similar time) and the Regional Railways 37 on the jacks is a nice scene.

Keep up the good work Phil, the building are a work of art.

Anthony

I have not a great deal to the layout for a while, as the warm weather has made me spend all my free time outside on my motorbikebiggrin.gif

The feeds are all in place and just need linking up underneith.

Sorry Jackblack, I didnt build my 2 bay repair shop but it was made to my drawings and spec by a guy called Jeff052 on ebay.

Thanks for your replies Mr pix and Anthony. I have a 58 on order in railfreight redstripe and I know the wife has got me the coal sector one my birthday.

Hi Porkie Looks good, nice fiddle yard setup smile.gif

Are you using setrack the tracks look very straight?!

Cheers,

Ste

Can you give me a link to the guys profile?

PM sent to you Jack

Looks like its going to be a really cool layout, can't wait to see it finished! Is the steel class 60 a repaint?

Looks like its going to be a really cool layout, can't wait to see it finished! Is the steel class 60 a repaint?

Sorry for the late reply simon.

The class 60 is a repaint by millfeild models, Shes not a farish version though.

As for my layout. Im looking at buying a few more light towers from CR signals. Only thing is how many would I need to make it look in scale with the Depotblink.gif

Im thinking of having 5, which means only another 3 to get but toton and tinsley depots seem to have loads of them

post-6906-128242307919_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hi!

Are the black squares the lighting towers? I think maybe you could get away with 3 towers if you bring the one from behind the fuel road down to the other side of the Service shed track, take away the two end towers (they would probably have wall mounted lights on the heavy repair shed and leave the ends of the loco sidings in darkness/light a walkway) and then move the other two slightly more towards the ends. We didn't have very many towers at Newton Heath when I worked there, but all the pathways etc were lit.

Do the towers light up? Did you get the last of the wiring done?

Simon

Thanks for your input simon,

Yeah the black dots are ment to be the towers. The 2 i have light up really well and not too bright.

Im going to have a look for wall mounted lamps as I think they would look ace on the two depot sheds

All my tracks are now wired up so I can run my loco's and stock and iron out a few gremlins lol.

Now the summer is kinda over, Ive decided to carry on with my layout.

Ive been lookin at my depot buildings and was trying to work out what else is needed to make it that bit more realistic.

I purchased some Lighting towers like the ones at toton, And some more lifting jacks. Im thinking some inspection pits for the lift shop and making walkway platforms.

But have now run out of ideas icon_sad.gif

hi,

nice work, i too have just started a N gauge layout so it will be nice to see how yours comes along, not that i want to steal you idears or anything like that :)

Ay up!

Have you got lots of bins for all the different things they throw away at Depots? I lost count of the ammount of bins we had at Newton Heath but there was definately a flourescent tubes container next to the compactor... Erm a smoking shelter, staff cars and at least one van for each rail company that regularly uses the depot (and then people like Network Rail, Balfour, Babcock et al) a forklift truck and one of those big outside liquid storage cupboards (I think they're called bunded cupboards but I'm probably wrong) I can't think of anything else!

Can't wait to see some more pics :D

Simon

:O blimey simon my shopping list has just doubled.......

But thats the kind of thing im looking for cheers dude :rolleyes:

This is how the layout looks at the moment with my new light towers

post-6906-030513500 1285010326_thumb.jpg

post-6906-058381600 1285010391_thumb.jpg

This is going to be my load bank test area,

Only problem is, I hav'nt a clue on what one looks like as I cant find any pics of one :( So i hope a porter cabin and container do the job

post-6906-076170000 1285010546_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Since reading an artical in model rail on weathering in this months copy,

I went out and brough some tamiya sets....

I didnt want to try this on a loco or rolling stock incase I muck it up.

So I decided to attack the old signalbox I had laying around from the old layout.

Im quite happy with it so far although I need to plate a few windows up and demolish the stair case..

post-6906-073859600 1286902733_thumb.jpg

post-6906-098548800 1286902790_thumb.jpg

post-6906-036449100 1286902902_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Hi Porkie, the layout is looking good, I really like the 80s feel with all the different liveries especially the Thornaby locos. Love the TE blue split box 37.

Here are a couple of links to photos of the load bank at Toton. It looks very much like a container that has been converted:

http://steve-clark.f.../p56904873.html

Hope that helps.

Sorry Porkie not sure what is happening with the links?!!! :unsure:

Both are from fotopic the first is from if you go to his site and then search 66195 it should be the first one of three in the results.

The other is from http://steve-clark.fotopic.net if you visit the Toton Open Day 1998 gallery it is on the second page, 58040.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Grimley,

Thats just what Ive been trying to find...

Ive not done a great deal on the layout since adding all the feeds apart from play trains :http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/smile.gif

So my new years res is, To pull my finger out and do more modeling than playing http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/biggrin.gif

This is what my wife got me for Xmas and this from my son

post-6906-0-49434300-1511953103.jpg

post-6906-0-09303100-1511953256.jpg

Edited by porkie
  • Like 4

Hi Porkie,

I'm relatively new to the RMWeb so have only just read your thread.

That's certainly a cracking layout you're working on and it should look great when it's completed.

Maybe it's time to start thinking about track ballasting, though in your case it will have to be a really dirty mix of materials. You'll need to look at some photos to get the right textures and colours.

Have you decided on how you are going to do the back scene yet ? There are a couple of very good industrial ones which are available from Gaugemaster. Backscenes