Bachmann GE 45 TON

kevo

Hi all can any one please give me some advice on  Bachmann's ge 45 ton side rod switcher I have only just got this loco the other day . I had to get mine from the states in the end as they seem to be getting  hard to find . problem is ime confused over the instruction sheet provided . I have run the loco in in each direction on DC. Its fitted with Bachmann's duel DC-DCC decoder  . but when runs .. on dcc its very niosey  and dus not like running slow much . am I reading the instruction sheet right  that if I want it to run dcc  better I have to do the alteration on the PCB board by connecting up the gaps in the board . or is this instructions for hard wire ing  a decoder in . any help would be much appreciated thanks . as it runs pants at the mo and my main use is DCC . I have checked on y tube to see if any info  but its mainly new reviews or sound fitted locos running  thanks kevinpost-26535-0-22945400-1522422278_thumb.jpgpost-26535-0-79351100-1522422326_thumb.jpg

thanks phil   I have just read though that linlk  model railroader  some interesting bits on there . ile try give ing  mine a new address and see if that  dus any think  .I am a bit limited with some functions on re program ing etc as  most people on that discussion  have NEC power cab controllers I have a 2nd hand piko  digi 1  but didn't get any instructions with it so can not change CV'S etc  . kevin

• RMweb Gold

Piko digi 1 manual here:

http://www.piko-shop.de/index.php?vw_type=1&vw_name=download&vw_id=10039

It does look as if you can't reprogram decoders with this controller, but if you know someone with a different system it might be at least worth a try to disable dc running (in cv29) if it hasn't already been done.

Edited by PhilH

I put up with the "buzz" as it's partially deliberate, designed in to agitate the comutator. I found it a very good runner even over dead frog points, a friend also has one with a hard wired Zimo decoder this does give silent running. Adding Kadee scale whisker (short) couplers improves appearence as well.

Edited by w124bob

thanks for reply . I did  take  the instructions  down my local  model shop  and they at 1st were a bit baffled to . but after a bit of head scratch ing   seems I have to take of the dc half of the pcb  board  and re attach  the wires as instructions  so ile have a go at that  .

Just be aware that the metal hood moulding can short on the decoder, l learnt the hard way. Replacement circuit boards are sold via Bachmann US but at a very high price by the time you get it here. On cosmetic note I painted my side rods in yellow to make them more noticeable.

I've posted this before

post-13564-0-61847700-1522774666.jpg

These are great little locomotives.  I hacked off a lot of the detail on mine to use it as a basis for the 50 Ton Whitcomb side rod switcher in the Toronto Railway Museum Collection:

7880347870_9542eae844_b.jpgTRHA No.1 Front by Stephen Gardiner, on Flickr

7880348152_4dfd9deefb_b.jpgTRHA No1 Side by Stephen Gardiner, on Flickr

26790069953_b9b9be56e6_b.jpgTRM No.1 by Stephen Gardiner, on Flickr

Cheers,

Stephen

• Like 7

post-26535-0-34165800-1522961294_thumb.jpghey phil  just seen you putt piko  manual link  ive tried looking for that before but had no luck cheers thanks that is a real help . thanks chaps the pics of the 45toners are great . I do like your whitcomb bash Stephen nice touch bob with the yellow side rods bob . I did want a green 45 ton one my self but could only get red . just brought  a 44 toner to day another DCC ready one just taken the body shell off expecting to find a nice 8 pin socket but no just another PCB board  .

• 2 years later...
On 05/04/2018 at 02:56, sjgardiner said:

These are great little locomotives.  I hacked off a lot of the detail on mine to use it as a basis for the 50 Ton Whitcomb side rod switcher in the Toronto Railway Museum Collection:

Cheers,

Stephen

Hi Stephen, do you still have your Bachmann 45 ton? I am looking for some dimensions off the model please, I would like to try use this for one of my Sn42 locos. What is the bogie / truck wheelbase and what are the centres of the bogie / truck pivots please - Many thanks Wayne