Deluxe materials Aqua magic

• 3 weeks later...

Well it turns out using revees acrylics was the problem

But I must take my hat of to John Bristow of Deluxe materials who went far and beyond the call of duty with this

He asked me to send samples of what I had used from baseboard upwards inc cork paint glue etc

Then he run some trials and fortunately for me he got the same results as I

But it did not stop there he sent me a big box of products to try inc a new formula of Aqua magic whic had the same result but he also inc solid water two part kit which he has tried on my paints etc and worked

But John's dedication to resolve this problem was excellent and I would just like to let people know that there are people that will not stop to help resolve an issue with their product

Well done John Bristow of deluxe materials

• Like 7

Is this then a problem specific to Reeves, or more generally to Acrylic paints?

At the moment it's just reeves

Vallejo rowney AK are fine

Phoenix revell humbrol enamels are fine

Windsor and Newton oils are fine

• 9 months later...

Thanks for this info which I found while searching for the cause of this same problem.

I had made test samples using Aqua Magic on top of Liquitex Basics acrylic paint applied directly to extruded foam sheet and obtained the same short straight rumpling of the surface.  It was worse in the samples where some Wickes emulsion paint had been mixed with the Liquitex.

if Sculptamold or Hypocal Light was spread on the foam, then the Aqua Magic on Liquitex paint was perfectly ok, so I am guessing that the foam reacted with the Liquitex in some way, causing the problems with the Aqua Magic.

• 1 month later...

To try to find a single part water that would be compatible with Liquitex Acryic paint applied directly to extruded foam I tested Liquitex Pouring medium and this seemed to be ok as an artificial water.

I used this Pouring medium to make my canal surface.  Because the base turned out to be not completely level, it took 5 days for the fluid to become transparent at the deeper end (at first it comes out white).  The label says it is non-yellowing, so I hope that it will be ok in the long term but we'll see...  I'm happy at the moment.

Aqua_Liqu1.jpg

Liqu_Liqu1.jpg

Liqu_Liqu2.jpg

• Like 1