Great Eastern/LNER

gobbler

I am an avid scratch builder in 4mm scale and am looking at getting some more books with drawings. I model GE/LNER eastern region in the late 50's transitional period.

I already have Peter Tatlow's "A pictorial record on LNER wagons" and "Historic carriage drawings vol3"

Can anyone recommend any other books/ material worth getting that has good drawings and info?

Cheers.

Scott.

Try The Great Eastern Railway Society.

They cover most topics and have a list of drawings and provide a superb service.

Some of the books on specific lines also include drawings of stock.

If you could be more specific I could give more information.

it's a pretty big field.

Bernard

• Like 1

Have seen this thread?

There is loads of information on the GER in the downloadable pdf. Including a bibliography and a list of useful websites.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/130986-modelling-the-railways-of-east-anglia-in-4mm-scale/

Jason

I've seen this list several times, it's good for showing the various vehicles used on the railway.

But no specific drawings

But thanks

Scott

Try The Great Eastern Railway Society.

They cover most topics and have a list of drawings and provide a superb service.

Some of the books on specific lines also include drawings of stock.

If you could be more specific I could give more information.

it's a pretty big field.

Bernard

Along with Isinglass good supply of single drawings

But to accumulate the individual drawings will be quite expensive.

On my meagre budget I wouldn't have the money left over for plasticard, let alone the wheels.

Cheers

Scott

Locomotive drawings: the GER Society produces a CD with these on covering most of the types built in the 20th century (1900 onwards) but generally in the 'as built condition' rather than as 'ended up', although there are details of rebuilds and so on in the notes. The late John Edgson ('Isinglass') concentrated primarily on GNR and LNER locomotives so fewer GER types in that source.

Nearly all of the detailed coaching stock drawings were republished in Historic Carriage Drawings volume 1 - LNER & Constituents -  and volume 3 - NPCS. Almost all of those other illustrations available, such as those in Peter Paye's line history books, are copies of the very poor (in terms of detail) GER diagrams.

You'll have most of the types illustrated in Peter Tatlow's original book but his LNER Wagons - volume 1 Southern Area has more. Again many of the other available sources use the similarly very basic wagon diagrams.

The only other source is the NRM and the copies of general arrangement drawings but these are also pricey on an individual basis.

It's a frustrating situation but one that we have to live with.

The only other source that I know of is the occasional drawing or series of drawings of a specific prototype in the GER Society Journal, mainly of locomotives, but you need to be a member to access those.

The GER Society sales list is available here, and many of the products in digital format can be ordered on-line for immediate downloading:

https://www.gersociety.org.uk/index.php/home/sales/the-sales-list

and the John Gardner drawngs are listed here:

https://www.gersociety.org.uk/index.php/home/sales/files-emporium-2/category/17-lg-scale-drawings-by-john-gardner

Hope that this helps as best as can be...

Whilst many of the Great Eastern Railway Society's resources are available to members and non-members alike, I would strongly recommend membership of the society for anyone with any kind of interest in the Great Eastern Railway, its constituents and subsequent history.  The GERS Journal is restricted to members only, but members can buy CDs covering all back issues for a very modest sum.  Membership connects you with those in the front-line of research into all matters GER.  Having been a member since a couple of months after its inception, perhaps I'm slightly biased!

The HMRS has 43 GER wagon drawings on its website. They can be purchased.

www.hmrs.org.uk

Jonathan

Failing to mention that the cheapest option, A2 size, is £6.50 per copy so entirely defeating Gobbler's stated cost limitation.

Seeing that a number of them are ex-Model Railway Manufacturing Co. (King's Cross Models formerly of York Way) reminded me that there are/were several Skinley blueprints of GER carriages.

It might also be worth seeing what the Gauge O Guild has listed on its website as there has been a recent drive to accumulate drawings from defunct sources including the Edwards collection. The lists are only available to Guild members but purchase of a drawings is open to all.

Again I acknowledge that nothing will be free.