Heljan 26 - No DCC?

meatloaf

Read the small print - presumably why they're going cheap!

"Please note that this item has a minor manufacturing fault resulting in potential decoder damage when fitted with a Digital decoder. This can be resolved by affixing electrical tape to the underside of the PCB board, however due to this modification being required we offer this model as DCC Incompatible and we do not offer our usual Digital fitting services on this item. This item will function correctly on an analogue layout without any modification.

"
Alan

• RMweb Gold

There was a time when 8-pin sockets hadn’t appeared in models. So every DCC operator modified DC wiring in every loco to allow a decoder to be inserted. This can be no different. Identify the various wires to motor, track and lights, strip out the PCB and hard-wire it. If you can solder, you can do it.

There are a few errors in Hatton's listings. I alerted them to the various pre-owned Bachmann N class listings where they say "split chassis - DCC incompatible" (or something very similar), whereas, in fact, the N class was the first non-split chassis type Bachmann produced for the British market (marketed as the 'Blue Riband' range at the time). While they didn't have a DCC socket, they were easily converted to DCC by removing the PCB and hard-wiring a small decoder located where the PCB used to be. I got an acknowledgment from Hatton's saying they would look into it but I haven't heard anything further. My motivation was merely to help them with selling the items as the existing listings were misleading and might actually deter potential customers.

Guest teacupteacup

It is DCC compatible, has a 8 pin socket, as the label on the box end clearly shows. Heljan locos tend to have a high current draw stall so it needs an appropriately suitable decoder like a Lenz Standard.

I have a few 26/27s and they all run fine on cheap Bachmann & Hattons decoders.  Never had a problem

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have a few 26/27s and they all run fine on cheap Bachmann & Hattons decoders.  Never had a problem

Indeed. I'd go even further and say that Bachmann decoders work perfectly well in all my Heljan diesels - 26,33,35,47,52 - without having to change any of the pre-set CVs.