Drakewalls

Steven Draper

• RMweb Gold

post-18517-0-37475400-1522700961_thumb.jpg

So not 2FS just yet, but the adventure began this Wet and Windy Easter weekend with some reorganising of the basement and a level test / running in area established where the main part of the layout will eventually go. 

While there were lots of other jobs to do, I couldn't help a little running in of some recent purchases. The new Castle does run and sound good, even though I can only access a few of the functions, and the 64xx is very smooth although begs for those conversion etches and little screw link couplings at the front 8^)  

post-18517-0-43289800-1522701056_thumb.jpg

With a lot of tools now acquired, and the sale of OO going well I hope to have the new airbrush and weathering stuff here soon which will provide hours of fun. As a bonus, some cash will hopefully be available for 14th in Wiltshire when I can hopefully enjoy Fence Houses and pick up a few other tools needed to start developing some of the skills I need.

Then the first of many orders to the shops will take place 8^)

In the mean time I do have a design question - I hate curves that look too tight. I've about 12 x 12' - 14' to play with for my track design and have two options. I can build the part of the mainline section with a curve of about 4 / 5' radius or alternatively on a very gentle huge curve and dive into a tunnel, using a 2' to  2'6 radius to get around the corner - BUT obviously lose a fair amount of visual track. Any thoughts would be great 8^)

• Like 2

I think your options for curve radii are about right. My main thought is that you have a lot of space to play with but it's a good idea to plan your build so that you tackle a smaller part of the whole thing first - something that you can finish in a reasonable space of time.

You will make mistakes and you will learn as you go along. You don't say whether your layout is intended to be permanent in the basement or portable or perhaps a combination of the two.

A roundy roundy of that size is certainly an option but it is not the only option. John Greenwood's North Cornwall empire will be on show at RailWells in August and might give you some different ideas about how to play with a good sized space. This normally lives in John's loft but John takes individual elements like Wenford, Wadebridge or St Blazey out to shows. Wells will be a very rare opportunity to see the whole thing in one place.

Regards, Andy

• RMweb Gold

I think your options for curve radii are about right. My main thought is that you have a lot of space to play with but it's a good idea to plan your build so that you tackle a smaller part of the whole thing first - something that you can finish in a reasonable space of time.

You will make mistakes and you will learn as you go along. You don't say whether your layout is intended to be permanent in the basement or portable or perhaps a combination of the two.

A roundy roundy of that size is certainly an option but it is not the only option. John Greenwood's North Cornwall empire will be on show at RailWells in August and might give you some different ideas about how to play with a good sized space. This normally lives in John's loft but John takes individual elements like Wenford, Wadebridge or St Blazey out to shows. Wells will be a very rare opportunity to see the whole thing in one place.

Regards, Andy

Hi Andy,

Many thanks for the reply and I've been following John Greenwoods empire via the web - amazing - and if I thought I'd live to 1000 I might attempt something of that detail ! 

My long term desire is a model based on Gunnislake as it was until the mid 1960's as I live adjacent to the original site -- but I've never found any excitement shunting and either like photographing things, coming up with little cameo's,  or simply watching a selection of trains run past while enjoying an after work beverage. I've a weird thing about watching one train overtake another which could not happen on a little single track branch. 

Added to that I like really nice looking models, although to be honest have done little actual modelling for over 20 years so lots to learn - oh and nice, reliable running. 

So my plan is to get a couple of N gauge loops going so I can at least run things I have and experiment with techniques etc - a kind of working test bed that won't have cost much and I'm not petrified to try things as it's a practice piece. 

When that is going a small 2FS plank will be developed to learn a bit more about track construction, turnout control etc and when that has worked be developed into a small scenic diorama type layout where I can see how far I'm able to push myself in a very small space.

While that is going on weathering and converting models to 2FS, maybe exploring a few kits etc 8^)

When that is complete, hopefully in the next 18 months, I'll be able to review things based on my experience and make decisions. 

I suspect anything will be portable as we will probably move again at some point - so size and dimensions of any empire need careful consideration. Whether or not any is exhibition portable I do not know at this point. My current location is a basement and there are some annoying supports and the head room is a bit compromised in some areas which would influence things, but it is overall a good, temperature stable and humidity controlled space.

• Like 2

Nothing wrong with watching the trains go around; I do it all the time!  I have up and down over and under, main lines large radius curves which I use for my trains that don't like small curves!   Others use the rest of the layout.

Brian.

• Like 1