Reusing a PowerCab. Last stupid question for a while

Marcyg

I see no major problems, others may disagree

Example, say you have 5 power districts each with a 2.5Amp breaker fed from a 5Amp booster

If any individual district draws more than 2.5Amp then that breaker will trip

If the average load for each district is greater than 1Amp then the total for the layout will be more than 5Amps & the overload protection in the booster will kick in & turn off the whole layout

When choosing a booster the total load of the layout needs to be considered

This will include locos, lighted coaches, DCC accessories etc. if this load comes to 7Amps ( for example ) then 2 by 4 Amp Boosters would be adequate But you get no room for expansion 

You would have to plan your power districts very carefully so you don't end up with 1 booster  supplying 5A & the other supplying 2A. in this case one booster would be overloaded

In this case 2 or possibly 3  5Amp boosters would be better.

You then have room for expansion(i.e. adding more trains, not a larger layout)

Hope this helps

John

Thanks. Was hoping someone would say that! I’ll be designing the bus and wiring so I can add in additional boosters if required, I’m hoping I don’t have to. With regards to train lights etc, I only have 2, a Hornby vep and an APT-E, so not a huge demand. Sound isn’t something I’m massively interested in yet either. No accessories will be dcc powered either, the system is purely for track power

While the SB5 is a recognised upgrade path for the PowerCab, it does have some limitations compared with the standard NCE command station and boosters.

Taken from the NCE website....

The SB5 does not have a program track mode, or a program track output.

The Power Cab has built in overload for basic self-protection that will continuously try to reset until destroyed if left uncorrected.

The Power Cab does not have circuit breakers that will trip or fuses that will blow.

Use a **** to protect the Power Cab against short circuits and divide the layout into as many as 6 sections.

The SB5 and Power Cab have built in overcurrent sensing for basic self-protection that will continuously try to reset until destroyed if left uncorrected.

They do not have circuit breakers that will trip or fuses that will blow.  

Edited by Ron Ron Ron

• RMweb Gold

The OP seems to think he will have substantial power demands, implying he proposes to run lots and lots of trains at once. The cost of all those trains will run well into four figures. Skimping on the control sytem to make it all happen looks to be something of a false economy. My DCC system has elements now 20 years old, and the newer bits are upgrades, not replacements, so this is a lasting investment. Buy wisely and reap decades of reward.

And as for running lots of trains, probably not at the same time, but I have 126 operational locos and the layout is designed to take them all-so the potential is there with 50 plus fiddle yard roads

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, here's where I'm at with the planning. After reading so much about getting the power supplies close to the areas and loads, signal degradation and all the other flannel. Each sub district will be run through a circuit breaker, to stop any of the boosters frying.

NCE 5 amp smart booster - TMD, split into 2 sections. Potentially 50 static locos. 1 or 2 sound, maybe.

Tam Valley 3 amp (5 peak) - Up and Down main running line, 1 sub district

Relief, freight, branch running lines, 1 sub district

Tam Valley 3 amp (5 peak) - Up and Down main fiddle yard, 1 sub district, 23 static trains

Relief yard, 1 sub district 16 static trains

Tam Valley 3 amp (5 peak) - Freight fiddle L/H, 1 sub district, 16 static trains

Freight fiddle R/H, 1 sub district, 16 static trains

I'm finding it difficult to work this bit out and that's the best I can think of. A large majority of my locos are Lima, and I may double head 1 or 2 Heljans from time to time, which have a large draw. This over kill? Not enough? The most I'll have running on the layout at any one time will be 6 trains, which could be 8 locos if 2 are double headed. The layout can't really move that much more due to its long open running lines. It's the 'idling' engines in the fiddle yards that's getting me in a twist. Again, the DCC is for train movement only, all accessories and point control will be analogue. I'm also removing all grain of wheat bulbs from everything and replacing it with LED's. No trains other than a couple of units from factories have interior lights.

Edited by Marcyg

• 3 years later...
On 03/04/2018 at 14:21, John ks said:

Just remembered talk on other threads regarding problems connecting extra throttles to the powercab

Is it possible to use 1 SB & 1 DB & feed your depot from one of these

Or the depot from 1 booster & the rest from the other booster

Consider that a depot especially a loco depot could have 10 or more sound locos & 5amps might not be an overkill

Whereas the main lines may only have 4 or 5 trains at an one time & then 5amps could be more than adequate. 

I think I would start with a SB & a DB, try it out and if more power is required the an extra booster could be added later

More stuff to ponder

John

Are you saying that you would have upto 10 locos in a yard making sound at the same time?

Dave.