A Question (or two) About Baseboards

joppyuk1

Having recently had to revamp my shed working space I've had to remove my old permanent baseboards, and now have old kitchen units around the walls. I'll be building new boards, but with a move of residence possible in a few years time I want to make them removeable.

I've hit a quandary in not being able to work out how to fasten the boards together. The usual 'bolts' would not be accessible once the boards are down (solid tops to cupboards), nor would I be able to access split hinges as the one at the rear would be out of reach.

How have other people done it?

I could fit short, say 6 inch, legs so that I can reach under the boards and get at fixings that way?

Thanks in advance.

• RMweb Gold

I could fit short, say 6 inch, legs so that I can reach under the boards and get at fixings that way?

Thanks in advance.

Good idea for 2 reasons: 1) levelling (if you add levelling feet).  Amazing how "unflat" surfaces can be.  I use levelling feet and there is a table under one part and a cabinet under another, the feet are extended to different heights! 2) you can get hands underneath to safely access (in a minor way) and lift the boards. I use the standard coach bolts and engineers dowels and there is room to unscrew the bolts.  If it something like a fiddle yard or non-scenic you could use case clips (not sure of their proper name?) on the top at the back and side at the front?  I have that in one instance in an out of the way corner and everything holds together fine.  Please note that if using dowels for alignment you need space to move boards apart a bit in order to lift one out.

Edited by imt

• RMweb Premium

Could you take the worktops off the kitchen units, support your boards on the open carcasses, and get at the connecting bolts that way?  Bit of a fumble perhaps, but you'll only be doing it once .....

Chris

• RMweb Premium

What about dowels for centring and adjustable latches on both sides? Works very well. My examples show a layout on feet - but the same works also without feet. The fixing is on the outside of the boards. 

My dowels are home made, but the industry is happy to sell you ready made ones.

fd2501-1-off-2f41774.jpg

(my) Centering dowel female

24090054922_a3c476d332_k.jpgcorner connections 

(my) Centering dowel male

24115526771_18e0d7e276_k.jpgdowel male part 

Adjustable latches (Wixroyd)

23590957853_bae221b9fb_k.jpgLatch open 

Hope this gives you some ideas!

• Like 4

Could you take the worktops off the kitchen units, support your boards on the open carcasses, and get at the connecting bolts that way?  Bit of a fumble perhaps, but you'll only be doing it once .....

Chris

A possibility, but I'd have to empty the shelf below the bolts every time. Not that I intend to do that very often, so I'll keep it in mind.

Vecchio, thinking of the over latches, how would I access the side against the wall? Too far to reach over without disturbing or damaging something.