Falcon Brass kit - LMS Horsebox Dia 1956

ianLMS

• RMweb Gold

Latest update after a good few hours on Sunday tinkering in the railway room (after doing domestic chores and lounging in the garden of course!!)

Fitted all of the hinges, straps etc I then moved on to the white metal parts (vacuum hoses, coupling hook and buffers). Coupling hooks were from my supply of Lanarkshire models. The lamp irons were also fitted.

Note to self: Finish soldering all brass parts before fitting white metal parts!!!!

Soldering is a bit messy, but still getting used to new soldering station and soldering white metal!!!!

Next week I will be able to move on to the roof (white styrene with white metal parts). 

post-21193-0-07939400-1524468776_thumb.jpg

post-21193-0-45953300-1524468802_thumb.jpg

post-21193-0-52161600-1524468829_thumb.jpg

post-21193-0-41404000-1524468875_thumb.jpg

Edited by ianLMS
  • Like 4

Unfortunately not!

The person who has taken them on has, I believe, family or marital associations with MJT etc., but the latter apparently have no business interests in Falcon Brassworks.

There has been a lot of negative feedback concerning FB; principally relating to poor / non-existent communications and extended delays in delivery of goods that have been paid for. I have, until recently, been strongly defensive of FB, as the proprietor has exceptional family pressures which affect her ability to conduct business.

Unfortunately though, I have now had to join the nay-sayers.

In a misguided attempt to support a trader who had received bad publicity, I ordered and paid for two different kits well before Christmas. One was delivered promptly, together with a note stating that there would be a short delay in re-ordering the other item ordered.

After some weeks, a second example of the first kit was delivered, which I promptly returned at my own expense. Since then, repeated requests for the correct second kit - or at least an acknowledgement of receipt of the returned item - have been met with a wall of total silence.

I can no longer defend a trader who simply ignores her customers for indefinite periods, and I have requested the correct kit or a refund within four weeks - I'm not holding my breath!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

After a 5 and half month wait for a Falcon kit , I finally gave up and have just received a Paypal refund for the full amount. They never even bothered to reply to Paypal , let alone me .

Buyer beware and get your non receipt claims in before the 6 month deadline. One thing it has taught me is never pay for anything by cheque where possible, always use Paypal or a credit card. My bank would not have refunded my money in a similar situation.

• RMweb Gold

After a 5 and half month wait for a Falcon kit , I finally gave up and have just received a Paypal refund for the full amount. They never even bothered to reply to Paypal , let alone me .

Buyer beware and get your non receipt claims in before the 6 month deadline. One thing it has taught me is never pay for anything by cheque where possible, always use Paypal or a credit card. My bank would not have refunded my money in a similar situation.

Without taking this too far OT, when the FB thread closed I got a couple of messages saying that I had caused the collapse of the website, I also got messages from approx 10 others that were awaiting monies/kits with no replies.  so sadly you were not alone.

• RMweb Gold

Luckily I didnt have that issue - purchased this kit through Dart Castings at the York Show and will probably do the same again at the next show I go to (probably Warley). It will take me that long to complete the kit and get the courage to paint it!!

• RMweb Gold

Latest update after another busy weekend. I think I am ready to clean and prep for the paint shop (my biggest concern).

I made the roof from styrene sheet and attached the roof vents. The rain guides were made from styrene strip. The vents were not all included in the kit so I have to fabricate the top domed one from the end of some styrene rod.

I rolled the roof the same as you do brass with my aluminium rods (from Ebay) to get the shape and used CA to glue it to the body, held in place with several elastic bands.

Edit: Before attaching the roof I painted the interior black and installed the windows using some clear plastic I have left over from some packaging and attached them with micro-klear.

I have Viakal and a toothbrush to clean it all up and Tamiya masking tape for the windows. Paint wise, I have Precision paints etching primer for the body % chassis with Humbrol primer for the roof. I will then use Railmatch Crimson Lake through the airbrush for the body and I have a tin of LMS grey for the roof and matt black for the chassis. I have heard that when painting crimson, its best to use a red oxide primer. Just not sure whether to replace the etch primer with the red oxide, or use both?

There are no transfers with the kit so will find some in my collection from Pressfix. Final, a coat of spray matt varnish to finish.

post-21193-0-58709100-1525075412_thumb.jpg

post-21193-0-01133000-1525075434_thumb.jpg

post-21193-0-34876000-1525075450_thumb.jpg

post-21193-0-30899700-1525075484_thumb.jpg

Edited by ianLMS
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Here it is after priming and airbrushing. Just waiting for the transfers to turn up so i can finish it. Fitted with my version of magnetic coupling.

Very nice indeed - and an object lesson to those who talk-down the Jidenco / Falcon Brass kits.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium

Very nice indeed - and an object lesson to those who talk-down the Jidenco / Falcon Brass kits.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I built several of the original Jidenco kits and thought they were OK. In fact, state of the art for what was on the market at the time.  Think the bad reputation came through one or two later owners, who introduced kits from artwork which seemed thrown together with not much attempt to get it right.

Nigel

• RMweb Gold

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Thank you John. It was a challenge and some things werent right with the kit but overall i am quite chuffed with my first kit!

Edited by ianLMS

• RMweb Gold

Thank you all for your kind comments - I had a lot of advice, information and encouragement from my fellow RMWeb-goers so I wont take all the credit. Looking forward now to my next challenge.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Good morning,

Another productive weekend has resulted in me completing (unless anyone can recommend further weathering ideas) the Falcon LMS Horsebox kit. The decals were HMRS Pressfix type. I am not 100% sure they went on straight, but I think they are ok. The size of letters and spacing werent quite right on the decal sheet so had to put each letter on individually. Compared to photo's, I think the letters are little too plump, but they were the only ones I could find in the gold/red/black type.

The weathering helps to hide them a little, but again, not sure if I have over-done the frame dirt. I also added a little dirty black and sleeper grime to give some variance and sprayed the roof with roof dirt aswell.

Thank you to everyone who has given me guidance, positive and constructive feedback and encouragement. 

Looking forward to tackling my first locomotive kit which is a Crafstman LMS 1P found by an RMWeb member, which I am extremely grateful for!!

Ian

post-21193-0-85854900-1526287357_thumb.jpg

post-21193-0-81770400-1526287372_thumb.jpg

post-21193-0-48492100-1526287388_thumb.jpg

post-21193-0-62375600-1526287406_thumb.jpg

post-21193-0-03650900-1526287428_thumb.jpg

post-21193-0-51777700-1526287444_thumb.jpg

Edited by ianLMS
  • Like 5