• RMweb Premium
  • RMweb Premium

Another ramshackle NCBOE engine shed, this time at the Glyn Neath Disposal Point (photographer unknown).

The nearer loco is RSH 7296 / 1945, former BR No.68070.

Brian R

PS

A generalisation........

NCBOE = National Coal Board Opencast Executive.

Whilst the NCBOE oversaw opencast operations, the actual mining was generally performed by contractors hired in by the executive.

The place where the opencast mined coal was loaded into rail or road vehicles for movement elsewhere was referred to as a 'disposal point' 

Anybody notice 68070 has it's coupling hook upside down?

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Dunaskin NCB shed, on the West Ayr Area Waterside system,  was among the last new shed to be built to house steam locos.  It has 4 roads each with a full length pit and long enough for 3 x 4 coupled pugs at a squeeze.  It is still in use by the Ayrshire Railway Preservation group and apart from replacement doors is virtually as built.  

Ian.

post-6089-0-52647400-1523562017_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Anybody notice 68070 has it's coupling hook upside down?

Keith

Well spotted!  Looks like the hook has been straightened making it unsafe to use, hence turning upside down to retain the coupling, but prevent hook use?

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Dunaskin NCB shed, on the West Ayr Area Waterside system,  was among the last new shed to be built to house steam locos.  It has 4 roads each with a full length pit and long enough for 3 x 4 coupled pugs at a squeeze.  It is still in use by the Ayrshire Railway Preservation group and apart from replacement doors is virtually as built.  

Ian.

attachicon.gifDunaskin Trackwork (3).jpg

Looks like a boiler from a colliery loco, complete with Giesl Ejector (at left)

Keith

I don't have any pics of NCB sheds but here are a few NCB locos from 1967/8.

Backworth, Northumberland

post-7898-0-20436400-1523632173_thumb.jpg

Bates Colliery, Blyth, Northumberland

post-7898-0-91188900-1523632210_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-78189000-1523632235_thumb.jpg

Crofton Pit, Blyth, Northumberland

post-7898-0-24994200-1523632283_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

I don't have any pics of NCB sheds but here are a few NCB locos from 1967/8.

Backworth, Northumberland

attachicon.gifNCB Backworth.jpg

Bates Colliery, Blyth, Northumberland

attachicon.gifNCB Bates Colliery, Blyth.jpg

attachicon.gifNCB Bates Colliery, Blyth (2).jpg

Crofton Pit, Blyth, Northumberland

attachicon.gifNCB Crofton Pit, Blyth.jpg

Nice!!

I love that big headlight on the Bates Austerity!!

Chris.

• 7 months later...

Off topic I know, but as someone not remotely familiar with the area can anyone tell me where the location of Mountain Ash engine shed was?

'Old Maps' indicate a site to the south east of Abergorki and Navigation pits - but is this the site or was it somewhere else in the Mountain Ash area  I've missed?

BR2975 posted on this thread an excellent b/w view of the place across an area of open ground with a large building like a chapel in the background but I still can't identify where this was in Mountain Ash.

Photo's of the shed building also indicate a drastic conversion of a much earlier stone building - possibly the original engine shed or something else?

Any clues anyone?

In Gordon Edgar's book on Austerities there is a picture from more or less the same angle but from much closer, revealing a spectacularly overgrown and very modellable retaining wall in the foreground and showing much more detail of that big (and equally modellable) chapel in the background.  The caption describes the site as the wagon shop.

Off topic I know, but as someone not remotely familiar with the area can anyone tell me where the location of Mountain Ash engine shed was?

'Old Maps' indicate a site to the south east of Abergorki and Navigation pits - but is this the site or was it somewhere else in the Mountain Ash area  I've missed?

BR2975 posted on this thread an excellent b/w view of the place across an area of open ground with a large building like a chapel in the background but I still can't identify where this was in Mountain Ash.

Photo's of the shed building also indicate a drastic conversion of a much earlier stone building - possibly the original engine shed or something else?

Any clues anyone?

There is a map of the Mountain Ash system on P82 of 'Steam in the Coalfields' by Tom Heavyside and a distant photo of the engine shed on P85.  It was, indeed, located just south of Abergorki Colliery (closed in 1967) and east of the closed B.R. (ex TVR) station. Unfortunately all my photos of the system are on slides and I haven't got round to scanning them yet!

Ray.

Edited by Marshall5

Thanks Ray.

Bingo! Found it.

It was actually within the Deep Duffryn colliery area which was to the north of the two stations (GWR and Taff Vale) and the Abergorki/Nixon Navigation sites. The chapel seen in the background of the photo seen in this thread is the Capel y Ffrwd, a Welsh Baptist Chapel in Duffryn Road and the only one in the area built in this style (early Arts & Crafts).  It still survives but is no longer a place of worship.

The colliery closed in September 1979 and the last in the area (Penrhiwceibr) closed in October 1985.

Nick.

• 4 months later...

Currently browsing " The Last Years of Coal Mining in Yorkshire" a coffee table book full of not seen before photos by S Grudgings.

Photos of pit top and underground are superb with lots of detail for modelers. To my delight S,134 aka Wheldale features strongly and at last I have resolved the question of colour whilst in storage after her final rebuild. The book came courtesy of Wakefield Libraries but a father's day copy is on it's way from Amazon. There are one or two slight inaccuracies in the text but the photos more than compensate.

• Informative/Useful 1