The high capacity stay alive and decoder arrived today, now I'm using a stay alive unit from laisdcc which is just as good as the TCS one I've used before and half the price (also double the size but theres plenty of room in the loco). My DCC fittings are definitely getting more organised. I hard wired the decoder in and hot glued that into the cab whilst the decoder sits in the smoke box. I could've fitted the decoder on top of the stay alive but it would've been a tight fit and I didn't want to risk any trapped wires. IMG_20200422_140203007.jpg.395ffbda44a74c70b2b5f96c0a02e888.jpgEverything is insulated with electrical tape and the larger components hot glue gunned into place. With all the internal electrics done I could finish fitting the white metal parts and assemble. IMG_20200422_194834543.jpg.7f56ca2805c966c9c61de0965d5a16bc.jpgIll finish it off tomorrow but it's great to have a j94 back on the roster. I'm thinking I might name this one "Cronton". 

• Like 3

Firstly I have painted and re-weathered the j94 and it can now fully rejoin the colliery fleet. It still needs a crew, some small running board details  as well as some small cab tarps I think for variety but it's getting there. It was weathered with valleyo washes and powders as per my usual and it really gives it a matt look so kind of a middle grade weathering. As we as that I have proceeded to paint my industrial water tower kit. Now this is still in development and will have pipe work added but I really wanted to get this added onto the layout and will add pipework later which will be in the kit when it is properly released (I'm just waiting for some silicone to arrive so I can make some molds for it). IMG_20200424_231643275.jpg.4684db8179a18e637d5daa92dbf2a9a9.jpgI hope to add some more shrubbery to the backscene area to blend it in nicely and make it seem a bit rougher as well as covering up a few painting errors so that I can film a British pathe style documentary on it like I did with Distillery which will feature the j94. I might try to add some generic steam loco chuffing sounds to the background too so if anyone knows of anywhere where I can source some it would be very useful to know. 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Well I've been very busy behind the scenes developing a few of my own resin kits along with my good friend @OliverRowley who is lurking about the forums somewhere. I am very proud to say that these will be available for sale via eBay on the 1st June under the name of Train Crash Models. 1816174443_logodesignfirsttrycropped2.jpg.d00065432f08ff4ac80a98fa70b3ed08.jpg The range will include a few of the kits I've developed and used on Cronton. This includes the water and this chaldron wagon. IMG_20200507_193824739.jpg.25813ace73a62af004f0be20152a80ba.jpgIncluding wheels the chaldron wagon will come to £8 and the water tower £3.50 ish. I'll keep you all posted on where to get them once the eBay store goes live. 

• Like 7

On 13/05/2020 at 19:56, luke the train spotter said:

Well I've been very busy behind the scenes developing a few of my own resin kits along with my good friend @OliverRowley who is lurking about the forums somewhere. I am very proud to say that these will be available for sale via eBay on the 1st June under the name of Train Crash Models. 1816174443_logodesignfirsttrycropped2.jpg.d00065432f08ff4ac80a98fa70b3ed08.jpg The range will include a few of the kits I've developed and used on Cronton. This includes the water and this chaldron wagon. IMG_20200507_193824739.jpg.25813ace73a62af004f0be20152a80ba.jpgIncluding wheels the chaldron wagon will come to £8 and the water tower £3.50 ish. I'll keep you all posted on where to get them once the eBay store goes live. 

Lurking makes it sound odder than it is...

But yeah I can't wait to have both production facilities (our houses) up and running. Really hope these offer some different bits for industrial modelers!

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Exciting news, Cronton Colliery and my other micro Distillery Yard (also on this forum) will be at the Ebor 2022 York Against Cancer model railway show at the end of February. Here's a link to more information: https://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/event/22927-EborGroupofRailwayModellers_Exhibition#:~:text=Sat 26th - Sun 27th February 2022&text=Children £1.00-,Sponsored by Monk Bar Models%2C the Ebor Group of Railway,show suitable for all ages.

It's set to be a fantastic show and I'm very excited to be exhibiting again after nearly 2 years of being unable to. Here is also a bonus picture of Cronton I took recently. IMG_20220104_193357010.jpg.10846e046ee379f327b50a3620b19954.jpg 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, 1722 said:

Hi Luke,

great to see tCronton will be back on the road!

must be nearly time for a new layout?

A new layout has been on my mind recently, currently living away at uni has presented quite a few modeling challenges, an even tighter budget and even less space to build a layout with fewer tools. A recent trip to Edinburgh and to a couple of Whisky shops later and I'm currently pondering an oo gauge distillery boxfile. Sticking quite close to my prior modeling interests but I already have all the stock and plenty of research so it makes logical sense to continue in that direction. I have ordered some resin building and detailing parts from Skytrex so we will see what comes out of them. I think keeping the layout very simple will be the key to making it achievable to build but I do quite like the idea of making it modular/extendable in the future. 

• Like 3