So Ive decided to not extend the new siding infront of the fiddle yard and block it off with the fiddle yard. With it only being 7inches long and 10 inches wide and most of the space will be taken up by a sector plate, stock storage is essential so I can't spatially afford to extend the siding unfortunately. I have however decided to open up the other end of the layout and fully detail the interior of the loco shed so you can look through it to offer up some interesting photo opportunities. The fascia was completed today using some 5mm (ish) mdf which has been screwed and glued in place. IMG_20200322_193855431.jpg.4844bc552644d610b6037463ddb96bb3.jpgI really like the curved corner of the top bit of the fascia and this was achieved by using a plate as a template. I know it looks nothing like the original cronton but all the original buildings have been preserved and will be re-used. Once the new track is laid and ground cover is down it will start looking like it's old self. Next job will be painting the backscene and getting some LED lighting strips sorted. 

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

So a big push today with all the track laid, wired and tested as well as the backscene getting a netrual light blue colour. This will have some low hills, a grassy bank, trees and a few colliery buildings painted on it probably tomorrow. IMG_20200323_185334323.jpg.80db397e93f7eb59adb754e9a600b760.jpgHere is some stock posing on it. I also made the sector plate in the fiddly yard. This is very small and can either take a loco or a wagon on it but nothing above an 0-6-0 wheelbase. IMG_20200323_185352783.jpg.f44013777108989acadd8a4b9dac0ebf.jpgI should probably also sort out some lighting in the fiddle yard. 

• Like 6

Hi Luke, that's a really innovative setting you've designed for the scene. Are you planning to add anything behind the shed, now that it might be viewed end-on? Could be nice for a little hidden cameo scene or something.

Adam

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Calidore said:

Hi Luke, that's a really innovative setting you've designed for the scene. Are you planning to add anything behind the shed, now that it might be viewed end-on? Could be nice for a little hidden cameo scene or something.

Adam

So I plan to fully detail the interior of the shed (something I began to do today) and maybe add an open wooden gate which could be something to look through for an interesting angle. Apart from that I don't plan on a cameo except maybe a couple of crew members having a fag. Just trying to keep it simple really. 

• Like 2

So more progress with the layout today. Firstly I have painted a few basic backscene with some low hills. This was done the same way as Finlarig and distillery yard. IMG_20200328_173221513.jpg.a364ee914deeef95d46ec7f04c8dad58.jpgi have also connected up the wire in tube point control to the point as well we cladding the inside of the engine shed with plasticard, painted light grey and finished with a black wash. It still needs a lot more work and detailing but the interior is getting there. IMG_20200328_173632223.jpg.92e207f72f4cdb18859ec31d5058e284.jpg

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

Today has seen the track sprayed brown to give the first base of weathering and the basic landscaping completed. This was done with some scraps of foamboard and plaster bandage. I didn't want to build it up too high since it will be covered in thick shrubbery and small trees as well as overgrown grass. I've also made up a set of cardboard steps to go on the other end of the inspection pit. IMG_20200331_174317230.jpg.ca375a8c685c841cfbad73bf06ef78c9.jpgOnce the plaster bandage has dried up I can begin on the ground scenics which will be a layer of dried beach sand everywhere following the exact same method and using the exact same materials as used for the original cronton ground works. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, luke the train spotter said:

So today I have ballasted a lot of the new track with a layer of beach sand sieved to remove any possible pebles. I have also added in a piece of plastic painted grey in the inspection pit to keep the rails in gauge. This should keep everything nice and smooth when operating the layout. IMG_20200401_201918704.jpg.14d61b632b0fad69b53518a7ccfd94e2.jpg

Really Looking Nice there mate! Sand looks spot on For Sizing, cannot wait to see more Progress Updates

Cheers Ben

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys. Today has been all about getting the original coaling tower to fit into the new cronton. I used the original coaling tower plus some brick plasticard to bed it into it's new home.IMG_20200409_221843269.jpg.4adf164fd5ef84b45f655989c12a617c.jpgIts important to note that the coaling tower still works so I can load up wagons and maybe some tenders at exhibitions. I'll work on the pipeline covering the fiddle yard entrance next and then get the water tower bedded in before doing the detailing. 

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Well it's impressive how easily distracted I can get! So first up I am currently rebuilding my dj models j94 buy adding my own homemade reliable pickups, fitting high capacity stay alive and a decoder as well converting it to a giesel injector with some rt models parts. Not a picture of that yet but it will be nice to have the original model that inspired the layout up and running again. Secondly I seem to have another narrow planet kit on the way but that will get it's own thread when it arrives. And lastly I have spent a bit of time researching and designing  a small resin cast kit for an industrial water tower. Mine is based off the one at Beamish but the design is very common and generic for a range of industrial railways. Its not finished yet as it needs pipe work adding but as a basic kinda skeleton you can see where it's going. IMG_20200421_201620658.jpg.8902c69b40591af6dd7b1cb81188b392.jpgI hope to launch these on eBay under a banner (can't really leak anything but it's a dream come true for me to produce my own kits) with a good friend later on this year. Thanks to it all being made and manufactured in house we should be able to keep costs down to suit the budget friendly modeller.  I've probably said too much already but I'll tease you with a chassis component of a rolling stock kit I've currently got in development - note they should be spoked wheels (I have some on order). IMG_20200421_143935587.jpg.ff1afdcd84a64dc61072b98f7ba117ee.jpg

• Like 5