Perhaps the oil crisis of 1973/4 helped to justify keeping a steam loco or two as a strategic reserve. What did for them in the end was the abandonment of internal railways as coal was delivered by conveyor to the MGR rapid loader. Fortunately by this time there was a demand from preservation railways so many were saved.

S134 later known as Wheldale, was the last locomotive to be fully rebuilt at the area workshops at Allerton Bywater in 1973. It then went across the road to the colliery and was mothballed in the back of the wagon repair shop. It remained there until brought out to appear in a BBC childrens film in 1978/9. Once filming ended it returned to store until it was sent over the river to Wheldale to undertake tests for the Hunslet company in 1981/2. Those with long memories remember this as a very cold winter and steam locos didn't suffer from frozen diesel tanks.

More progress to report on the loco shed. I've not done as much as I wanted to but today's been another busy day with the last day of the exhibition going very well but all gold things have an end and our case packing up a full hall of layouts and getting everything back to the clubrooms in order not to annoy our neighbors. Well today I managed to sort out the additional foam board bracing and make up some more roof struts. Ideally I would have liked to make the roof but there isn't enough modeling time available to me. Here is a picture of that: post-32204-0-07276000-1523217264_thumb.jpg As well as that I have finished off all the little plasticard trimmings such as lining the inside of the windows with bricks and making window ledges and such. Here are some pictures of that: post-32204-0-92509800-1523217414_thumb.jpgpost-32204-0-00213700-1523217430_thumb.jpg There will still be a few details to add to the shed but that can be added after painting and weathering. The plan for the next two days are the following: Monday - paint and weather brick work and make the roof Tuesday - paint and weather roof and begin work on the working coal loading mechanism. I dont know what will happen on Wednesday but I hope I can keep to my schedule! Thanks for looking and for all your kind and encouraging comments.

• Like 1

Guest ShildonShunter

Luke all coming together nicely the engine shed looks great looking forward to seeing the paint and weathering.;)

All ad hoc arrangements at individual collieries. Whilst some locos went back to Hunslet for rebuilding, others were reconstructed at area workshops and even fully rebuilt in the colliery yard. When transferred, modifications often did not meet the approval of the chief engineer and were changed in line with his thoughts.

Another useful resource. "The Leeds,Castleford and Pontefract Junction Railway-Ledston Branch" by the late Ron Rockett. Lots of colliery related photos, especially the insides of workshops.

Well I've got some premature progress for you all. I estimated that it would take a couple of days to finish of the engine shed but i have managed to pretty much finish it off today. The walls have been painted and weathered and the same can be said about the roof. I glued down a thin sheet of card and cut up individual tiles of corrugated iron from an a4 sheet of slaters corrugated iron sheet. These measure 24mm by 12mm and are a fairly standard size of corrugated iron sheeting. The top pieces for the roof are cut down versions of these. They were then laid down individually from the bottom up. In total there are 56 sheets of it which make up the roof. A couple coats of humbrol enamel 64 later (I didn't use any primer and it was brush painted) and a wash a of thinned down humbrol number 85 (again applied with a brush - no airbrush used) later and I have a built, painted and weathered roof. I will leave you with some pictures: post-32204-0-80995000-1523292957_thumb.jpgpost-32204-0-04232200-1523292975_thumb.jpg I've still got the window to sort out but I will do that at a later date. Now I can turn my full attention to the working coal loading system. It will take a bit of design or trial by error to get right but I want it to be a functional part of the layout to add a unique depth to the operational interest of the layout. Thanks for looking everyone. :)

• Like 3

Progress for today. Today I built a working coal loader chute and have tested it and it works well. I haven't got any pictures of it but I will upload some soon. The shoot protrudes through the back scene so I have cut a whole in it. That has now been glued and screwed onto the other baseboard. To cover up the whole I am building a structure to go over the coaling tower out of timber and corrugated iron. For the timber I am using these extra long matches cut to length with the flammable end removed. I got a large box of these from the pound shop I think. Here is the basic different timber structures drying on my work bench. I masking taped them down to hold them still whilst the glue dried.post-32204-0-86426800-1523384870_thumb.jpg I've also got 2 new additions to the rolling stock side. Firstly another class 20. This time it is in br green with half yellow ends and is pre tops numbered. This is dcc fitted and very generously given to me by another member of the model railway club I am apart of. I dont have any pictures of that yet but I will get some taken. The next new addition is this rail mounted land rover. I saw this on hattons today and ordered it straight away.post-32204-0-95728200-1523385053.png I plan to motorise it so I can run it on my layouts. It is a bit of a novelty item but I can't wait to get it. Anyway I'll continue with that loader structure and update you with any progress soon.

• Like 2

I've got round to sorting out the back scenes on the layout. I used thick card cut to shape. On this I will paint the back scene with water colours. I'm no artist but I've already started on it. Also the wooden structure for the coal loader is coming along nicely. Work has halted on it until I get the back scene sorted out. The wood was stained with a wash of thinned Humbrol enamels. I now have less than two weeks to finish of the layout so FULL STEAM AHEAD!!!!!! here's a picture of my latest progress:post-32204-0-64629200-1523531772_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Guest ShildonShunter

Luke I like the colour of the stain on your wood coal loaded and I'm looking forward to seeing your watercolour backscenes.:)

Great progress Luke. You seem to build layouts faster then I can read about them!

Woody

Thanks Woody! I do seem to be building a fair few micros at the minute and I've got lots more planned (wether any of them get built is another thing). I dont have much room or money so micros seem the only way. I really want to exhibit one even once so I'm trying to build ones that id be happy to take to an exhibition and one that would be able to provide some operational interest.

• RMweb Premium

Thinking a bit more about this, I printed the YE drawings at 4mm scale to compare with my Craftsman 02. Wheelbase is the same and the cab is about the same but the 02 is 9" longer, mostly in the engine casing. More noticeable is that the BR locos didn't have the usual YE fuel tanks incorporated into the footplate and the casing doors are quite different. End view is more or less the same.

attachicon.gifWP_20180407_14_58_43_Pro.jpg

It could be built from a combination of Janus and 02 parts.

Snap!

10422304224_8ec59f2eee_c.jpgAPR 72 06. D2856 Liverpool Exchange 1972 by Andy Kirkham, on Flickr

• Like 1

I thought that id give you all an update with some photos of last nights work. Well I have begun the land scaping by glueing down some cardboard pieces to create some ruff contours. I will cover them in plaster to strengthen and smooth them out. I plan to have some kind of tubes going accross the entrance to the fidle yard so I have built up some plasticard stone things to hold it up.post-32204-0-96020400-1523606068_thumb.jpg Next to the engine shed I have built, painted and weathered a brick wall and wooden gates. These are just glueing now. The brick wall was plasticard with the gate being 2 chopped up chip forks. (not used :) ) . The gate was painted with a green enamel before having a black wash put over it. Some of the painted back scene is visible in that photo.post-32204-0-96537800-1523606220_thumb.jpg Finally, I have also begun the land scaping on the back wall with corrugated card board. I wanted a slight embankment then a fence which is what I'm trying to do. post-32204-0-31936300-1523606291_thumb.jpg After this I will glue down the coaling tower cover and work on that and also do some ballasting. My method for this is to ballast everything with sand and let that dry. Then, rub plaster into the layout and then when that's dry, paint it with washes. I think it looks alright then I will put ash and coal on top of that. I can always airbrush additional textures on top of that. Thanks for looking . :)

• Like 1