Well yesterday went really well. It's a great show so I'd really recommend it. Plenty of layouts, all shapes and sizes, aces and gauges. Here is a picture all set up on Saturday.post-32204-0-40769400-1534661094_thumb.jpg The layout mostly behaved itself and I look forward to round 2 today. A sound decoder arrived for the class 20 yesterday so that has been fitted as well. Big thanks to Jamie Dunn who brought his amazing striking single and dynometer car. Both models are just outstanding in quality and looks. The running of the Stirling is amazing. Here is a picture of it on Cronton Colliery Sheds.post-32204-0-98252200-1534661363_thumb.jpg I look forward to day 2 and thanks for looking. :)

• Like 8

Guest Saltburn

Hi Luke I really like your setup of Cronton Colliery Sheds the Stirling does look really nice on your layout and enjoy day 2.:)

Glad you enjoyed them both matey, it's been a great weekend altogether.

thanks

Jamie

It's been a really good show and we had plenty of people through the door. Mind you my heart stopped when that power lead was thrown down onto Ian's layout! I look forward to next year's show when hopefully the distillery layout will be in attendance.

Hi Luke,

Glad your first exbo went well. The photo of the layout all set up really caught my eye. That's because you can see just how small the layout it, something that you can't see from the photos you have taken of the layout in action, which always make the layout look much bigger.

Well done, keep up the good work!

Chris

• Like 1

Hi Luke,

Glad your first exbo went well. The photo of the layout all set up really caught my eye. That's because you can see just how small the layout it, something that you can't see from the photos you have taken of the layout in action, which always make the layout look much bigger.

Well done, keep up the good work!

Chris

Thanks Chris. A lot of people at the exhibition were surprised how small the layout was despite the fairly large locos I was running on it. I think it was the smallest layout at the exhibition so I kind of felt that I was advertising the advantages of having a small layout.

• 2 weeks later...

Well after work today I took the layout outside for another photo shoot. Since I don't have any fancy lighting equipment I take advantage of the natural light. Now this photo shoot is a bit different because I wont post any of the pictures on here (apart from a quick snap on my phone) as they will be used in a magazines be article in railway modeller which is due to come out later this year. I'm very excited to see the final result and hope that the pictures do the layout justice as I am only an amateur photographer using the most basic of cameras (a very lowly compact digital camera). Until then here is a quick picture from my phone. post-32204-0-77247600-1535659852_thumb.jpg Thanks for looking. :)

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Great news. Shall be buying that for sure.

How do you find fork layout operation? I’m still a little undecided on Somewhere in Shropshire whether my 3-2-2 looks cramped and a fork arrangement might have more space.

It is a good idea if you build the head shunt long enough for locos and wagons, that's something I didn't do for Cronton unfortunately which I do now regret. That would make it much more suitable for shunting than just running locos in and out. For something small to operate every so often it's a good idea but if it was for an exhibition then I'd recommend adding another siding/point just to add some variation. Presumably you'd be shunting wagons which would make more sense than just moving locos in and out.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Luke,

Just read your item in RM and what a great read! Really good text and fantastic photos. You came across really well and your thoughts on modelling on a budget were spot on - very wise words from you. I have no doubt that we will be seeing more of your layouts in print over the years given the way your distillery layout has come on but you will always remember today as the day you first went into print! Be very proud of what you have achieved.

Regards,

Woody

Hi everyone, thank you very much for your kind comments. This is an achievement I'm very proud of and am excited to see what my next modelling challenge will be. For those who haven't seen the article, here is a brief overview for you. post-32204-0-61686300-1539291020_thumb.jpgpost-32204-0-01381000-1539291034_thumb.jpg At the moment we're looking at moving house this weekend so all my modelling stuff and layouts are pretty much packed up, preventing me from doing any actual modelling. Hopefully we'll be moved in by early next week by then I will have all my trains back up and running. Thanks for looking. :)

• Like 2