post-32204-0-30550200-1540237853_thumb.jpg As 20141 rests in the Colliery shed in the evening sunlight, I am beginning to think about the future of this layout. For me it has been a massive step forward into the unknown and something I am incredibly proud of with its magazine and exhibition debut. Currently I have no more shows lined up for it. I have really enjoyed building an engine shed layout and am quite tempted to give it another go but setting it in a much more atmospheric time. Though it is currently just ideas at the moment I certainly like the idea of a night urban scene with trains slowly moving around the background under the yard lights. Hmmmm. Some planning and sketches may be required. I am not getting rid of this layout but once the distillery is finished I think I'll have a rough idea of what I'll build next - I may need to get some earlier stock though first! Thanks for looking and following the porgress of this little layout. :)
  • Like 2

Guest mydadstoys

Luke I have enjoyed your journey in building this layout. Your knowledge and modelling shine through when you embark in the building of a layout. I can’t wait to see what railway modelling you are going to do next.:)

Excellent.

Regarding the layouts future, as you say you’ve enjoyed creating a shed layout. Is there potential to revisit some of it and redo the areas you are unhappy with? Rather than start again?

There is definitely the possibility of that. In fact the first thing I'd probably do it extend the fiddle yard.... You've got me thinking now!
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Well it's been a while since posting on this thread and I'd like to dust the layout off and give it a run for a YouTube video I really need to get round to filming. The layouts not run since August but I reckon it will only need a track clean. Firstly, a quick phone snap of the peckett and j94. Since having the decoder removed from the j94, it just sits in the engine shed to add a bit of interest to the layout. post-32204-0-27216400-1547487003_thumb.jpg When I get the layout out next I will try and get a better picture. A week and a bit ago we adopted a cat and she is lovely. She's very friendly and very cuddly and quite happy to disrupt your workbench and layout. I give you Catzilla!post-32204-0-49269800-1547487111_thumb.jpgpost-32204-0-17873700-1547487129_thumb.jpg Nothing was broken thanks to an excessive use of super glue that holds everything down. Since I have no current shows lined up for the layout (if you would like to see the layout at your exhibition message me) I am going to remove the lighting rig. Its a bit inconvenient to me and doesn't greatly contribute to the lighting for photography so I think removing it might be a good step forward to making it more of a home layout. Right, now time to go clean some track, power up the layout and run some trains! Thanks for looking and staying with the thread. :)

• Like 2

Well here are the rest of the pictures from the photo shoot. I must say that I think that the peckett looks right at home. I had problems getting all the track clean so the stay alive unit really came handy and meant that despite the trackwork it still ran beautifully. I did get some of the muck off the track but there was still a lot left on it. Anyway, the pictures:post-32204-0-89328500-1547576827_thumb.jpgpost-32204-0-61268700-1547576838_thumb.jpgpost-32204-0-06528000-1547576857_thumb.jpgpost-32204-0-47816800-1547576871_thumb.jpgpost-32204-0-36289800-1547576893_thumb.jpgpost-32204-0-73856500-1547576907_thumb.jpg It was really fun getting Cronton Colliery Sheds out again. I have no removed the lighting rig which should free up some space on the workbench. In the meantime I'm going to be finishing off some scenery on distillery yard and doing more exhibition prep while planning my next layout.....

• Like 3

brilliant to see this out again luke  its what gave me the idea for my kenwards colliery  box file layout  . lovely looking cat to . sadly my cat is no longer around but he was well in to railways and all ways inspecting my layouts . its amaze ing how they can walk allover the base board and not do any damage  :scratchhead:

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Luke,

Just about to start reading through this again but had a question for you...

With regards to the sector plate, how do you get current to run across the gap between the plate and the running lines? Electrics are really not my thing... 

Thanks,

Chris

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 1722 said:

Hi Luke,

Just about to start reading through this again but had a question for you...

With regards to the sector plate, how do you get current to run across the gap between the plate and the running lines? Electrics are really not my thing... 

Thanks,

Chris

So it's quite simple, because I use DCC every part of the track is wired to be live. The gap is only a mm or two so I don't need to worry about locos struggling to get across it. I guess if you weren't DCC you could just wire it all live then add isolating switches. There is no electrical sliding things or anything attached to the rails between the sector plate and the tracks, the sector plate just positions itself as it hits a block of wood. I'll post a picture of this later to help explain it. 

• Like 1

Sorry for the lateness in my reply but here is a picture of the sector plate. Excuse the mess of the broken bits of airfix kit!IMG_20190729_221229181.jpg.0c7d78f015eb0761054c7bad7f358966.jpgIve also been busy recording a new YouTube video which shows how I turned a glossy Oxford diecast vehicle to this toned down, weathered and detailed vehicle that now resides in the staff car park. IMG_20190729_221314583.jpg.0405ef2c4f3b562b5eb6f752b3d18148.jpgIf you want to see how I did it (without an airbrush!!!) Check out my YouTube video:

• Like 3

Well with my A levels cancelled, work and school shut for the foreseeable future looks like I'll have quite a few weeks of bonus modelling time. So far I've kicked this time off by working on a starwars A wing kit with a diorama to build for it but the real project for me will be to extend and rebuild Cronton colliery sheds. The rough plan is to relay all the track with the peco bullhead stuff, add a point for additional operation potential and extend the layout by a foot in length as well as making up a fascia for it ready for the 2021 exhibition circuit.  All rough plans at the moment but I hope to get some sketches done soon. 

• Friendly/supportive 3

So let the demolition begin! I removed the fascia, coal loading tower and the clunky code 100 track and smoothed where the track will go down to baseboard. I also popped into my local diy store and picked up some mdf in case they shut for corona so next jobs will be extendending the baseboard an extra bit, laying and wiring track then fascia. IMG_20200321_161000805.jpg.fcf77a61b693724a627e942382433396.jpg

1 hour ago, 1722 said:

Not going to lie, Luke, but I'm gutted to see Cronton in such a state. 

I am, however, excited for what the new build will look like. 

I'm hoping that it will be worth it and I have all the scenic methods I used on this thread so hoping to use them so that the new cronton will look just like the old one, or maybe even better. 

• Like 2

Luke, really like the looks of this. Your presentation is always super so I'm sure this will be too.

One suggestion, if I may? Could you lengthen the front siding with the water tower and run it in front of the sector plate (which would be closed off by a backscene)? Something like this... the sector plate is behind the row of terraced houses.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1722 said:

Luke, really like the looks of this. Your presentation is always super so I'm sure this will be too.

One suggestion, if I may? Could you lengthen the front siding with the water tower and run it in front of the sector plate (which would be closed off by a backscene)? Something like this... the sector plate is behind the row of terraced houses.

That's a good suggestion and I'll look into it. The reason why I have currently decided not to do it like that is because I wasn't sure what to use to hide the fiddle yard up. Suggestions welcome.